PDA

View Full Version : does digg always take down websites?

mykalreborn
April 11th, 2007, 09:40 PM
i keep reading through forums and every where there's a talk about a website being posted on digg.com everyone says that the website will be down because it's featured on digg - usually when it's on the front page.
why is that?

ronniet
April 11th, 2007, 09:44 PM
It's usually because putting something on Digg drives hundreds (if not thousands) of viewers to a website which can sometimes cause the server to overload and shut down... :(

btw: fullcircle article on Digg has had over 800 Diggs! :D

i keep reading through forums and every where there's a talk about a website being posted on digg.com everyone says that the website will be down because it's featured on digg - usually when it's on the front page.
why is that?

mykalreborn
April 11th, 2007, 09:52 PM
oh. i see. thanks for the enlightenment dude! :D

Adamant1988
April 11th, 2007, 10:07 PM
Yep, this phenomena has become known as the "digg-effect". Put an article on Digg and you risk sending thousands of people to that site very quickly, which can cause slowdowns or stop the site from showing up at all. Haha, the power of Social news.

IYY
April 11th, 2007, 10:09 PM
That used to happen all the time with Slashdot. It even got called the Slashdot Effect, and the affected sites were said to be "slashdotted" (still happens);.

There's the Fark.com term "Farked", and the SomethingAwful "Goon Rush".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slashdot_effect

matthew
April 11th, 2007, 10:22 PM
You might be interested to know that this site has been Dugg several times (okay, to be more accurate, threads in these forums) and the site has never gone down. In fact, we haven't had any real slow downs, either. I credit ubuntu-geek's admin skills and Canonical's server.

Adamant1988
April 11th, 2007, 10:31 PM
You might be interested to know that this site has been Dugg several times (okay, to be more accurate, threads in these forums) and the site has never gone down. In fact, we haven't had any real slow downs, either. I credit ubuntu-geek's admin skills and Canonical's server.

It sometimes seems as if Digg is run by 'ubunteros', on the other hand. I would be interested in seeing just how much of a traffic jump this site truly gets when it's been dugg.

Phatfiddler
April 12th, 2007, 02:28 AM
It sometimes seems as if Digg is run by 'ubunteros', on the other hand. I would be interested in seeing just how much of a traffic jump this site truly gets when it's been dugg.

You'll have to get the admins to tell you specific traffic to the domain, but there is another way, Search Digg for ubuntuforums.org and it will list every News Story that has that URL in it, including threads. You can then view that thread and see how many views it has had and compare it to similar threads.

aysiu
April 12th, 2007, 02:33 AM
I was Dugg twice, and neither time took down my website.

bonzodog
April 13th, 2007, 08:30 PM
There is a difference between being dugg, and making it to the front page.

Get to the frontpage, and thats when the fun really starts. This is what happened to the Ubuntu.com domain twice in 24 hrs, causing a severe slowdown of the servers, and making the ubuntu.com site unavailable.

It is often reckoned now that if you cross post an article to slashdot, digg, and something like reddit, and it makes the front page on all three, then the net effect is worse than a ddos attack.

Basically, you need to make sure that even a ddos attack cannot take you offline. If you succeed in doing that, then you are safe from the digg frontpage effect.

aysiu
April 13th, 2007, 08:32 PM
I believe the two times I was Dugg, they were on the front page, but they were not simultaneously SlashDotted, so that might explain it...