PDA

View Full Version : Do you use any applications in "off the wall" ways?

Adamant1988
April 11th, 2007, 08:11 PM
Having read a very nice blog on some very interesting ways to turn Gmail into your personal, well, everything, I thought I would throw this question out here.

Are you using any applications (either web apps/sites, or local software) in unusual ways?

Currently I'm using Gmail for all of the following:

Mail
RSS-Reader/archiver
Chat
Blogging client
"web clip" storage (for searching later)

Another program that's really come to RULE MY LIFE is Tom Boy notes. This little dandy program is exactly the reason I am no longer able to use Windows systems. I use Tom Boy to organize everything from my To-do lists, shopping lists, thoughts, ideas, school notes, self-help (when I have an issue I record what the problem was, and the fix in Tom Boy so I can come back to that later if needed), personal journal, pre-post blog editing, etc. The wiki like nature of this program, along with it's great search feature lets me keep track of all this information easily. It's hands down my favorite program to use on my Ubuntu/ Gnu/Linux desktops and I can't imagine living without it now.

So, are there any programs that you're using in slightly unorthodox ways? If so what programs and how?