PDA

View Full Version : fullcircle - the Ubuntu magazine needs YOU!

ronniet
April 10th, 2007, 08:30 PM
ok, with issue #0 on the home straight (http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=2422390&postcount=424), its time to prepare for the big #1!

I'm looking for people who'd take on a monthly position, voluntary of course!

Most of these little jobs don't even require writing... just copy/paste! :)

So if you're not confident in writing articles, this could be your way of helping out!

Here's the jobs up for grabs ;

News Reporters - several positions for people who want to email in the latest Linux news pieces (with sources).

Q&A Geek - trawl through UbuntuForums (and other places) to find what questions people are asking and what answers they are getting. TAKEN - mrmonday

Desktop/PC Interviewer - hunt through various UbuntuForums posts and have a brief chit-chat with those folks with the most impressive linux desktop/pc to get their secrets... - TAKEN - nolander

Linux Lister - look through the UbuntuForums threads and compile lists of the top linux things. Things like the top audio/graphics apps, top obscure progs, etc etc... be inventive. - TAKEN - IYY

Linux Listener - to root through the UbuntuForums threads and dig out quirky/funny/interesting stories told by linux users. - TAKEN - Fascinatio

Any questions, feel free to ask... :KS

mrmonday
April 10th, 2007, 08:36 PM
I'll take a job. What does Q&A geek involve?

dca
April 10th, 2007, 08:43 PM
Just a suggestion, don't flame:

the one thing that Ubuntu is missing in a lot of articles and what-not is references to enterprise use. I mean, we've seen how powerful (and popular) it is on the desktop space. It's #1 on distrowatch for crying out loud. But aside from the French http://digg.com/linux_unix/The_French_Parliament_switches_to_Ubuntu, what companies or enterprises are adopting it and how is it helping them....

ronniet
April 10th, 2007, 09:11 PM
Just a suggestion, don't flame:

the one thing that Ubuntu is missing in a lot of articles and what-not is references to enterprise use. I mean, we've seen how powerful (and popular) it is on the desktop space. It's #1 on distrowatch for crying out loud. But aside from the French http://digg.com/linux_unix/The_French_Parliament_switches_to_Ubuntu, what companies or enterprises are adopting it and how is it helping them....

Don't flame?? What do you mean flame?...

plb
April 10th, 2007, 09:14 PM
Put me down for something. I'll come up with some stories =)...BTW, do we get a neato fullcirclemagazine email address :)

ronniet
April 10th, 2007, 09:14 PM
I'll take a job. What does Q&A geek involve?

It would involve going through UbuntuForums and gathering up posts that ask interesting questions and what answers they get. It's not just a blind cut/paste job though, you need to be able to pick informative posts (sometimes serious, sometimes funny) to try and find a balance that will inform AND entertain people who read the Q&A page.

ronniet
April 10th, 2007, 09:15 PM
Put me down for something. I'll come up with some stories =)...BTW, do we get a neato fullcirclemagazine email address :)

Not sure about the fullcirclemagazine email address, i'd need to see what linuxgeekery can do.

Which job would you like though???... or are you just wanting to write How-to's? They are always needed...

mrmonday
April 10th, 2007, 09:17 PM
I'll take it. Also the above question about an email address... not that i need another, but that would be nice.

ronniet
April 10th, 2007, 09:19 PM
I'll take it. Also the above question about an email address... not that i need another, but that would be nice.

ok, sold to the man at the back :D

I'll ask linuxgeekery about the email addresses tonight when i get home, all depends I suppose on how many email addresses he gets with the domain name...

plb
April 10th, 2007, 09:21 PM
Not sure about the fullcirclemagazine email address, i'd need to see what linuxgeekery can do.

Which job would you like though???... or are you just wanting to write How-to's? They are always needed...

Hrm I could do some how-to's, but I could also look up general tips and tricks and obscure apps :) Obscure apps would actually be quite fun I think...put me down for that..I think everyone knows the top apps more or less.

ronniet
April 10th, 2007, 09:30 PM
Hrm I could do some how-to's, but I could also look up general tips and tricks and obscure apps :) Obscure apps would actually be quite fun I think...put me down for that..I think everyone knows the top apps more or less.

But would you be ok for doing lists of like music/graphics apps and so on? I mean you could do obscure music apps etc, whatever you think people should know about, but not just obscure stuff. It'd be a monthly feature of a top 5 or 10 maybe a top 20 spread over 4 issues or something. It'd also need some basic info for each prog like where to get it, few screens of each and some descriptions...

You ok with that??...

But your obviously still more than welcome to do how-to's...

mykalreborn
April 10th, 2007, 09:50 PM
i would very much like to be involved with the linux news. not just copy paste, but make my own articles and express my opinions and the genral feeling of the comunity about the certain news report.
so sign me up for this. :D

plb
April 10th, 2007, 10:00 PM
But would you be ok for doing lists of like music/graphics apps and so on? I mean you could do obscure music apps etc, whatever you think people should know about, but not just obscure stuff. It'd be a monthly feature of a top 5 or 10 maybe a top 20 spread over 4 issues or something. It'd also need some basic info for each prog like where to get it, few screens of each and some descriptions...

You ok with that??...

But your obviously still more than welcome to do how-to's...

I only say obscure because I think most people are well aware of the popular applications. Of course if new versions came out we could cover "What's New" What about a developer of the month interview? I could do that?

ronniet
April 10th, 2007, 11:38 PM
I only say obscure because I think most people are well aware of the popular applications. Of course if new versions came out we could cover "What's New" What about a developer of the month interview? I could do that?

True, but most people just use whatever comes with their default install. There are some good Gnome apps KDE people don't know about and vice versa you get what I mean?...

So should I put you down for lists of obscure apps? As I say; as long as you do it in categories/genre then thats fine by me (top music playing apps, top audio players, top photo viewers, top web browsers etc etc.)

And feel free to interview developers or anyone else in the community as we DO have a section for interviews... just let us know who it is the month before the interview so that we can get readers sending in questions hm?...

If you've any questions see the wiki, its got some rules and stuff: wiki.ubuntu.com/UbuntuMagazine

ronniet
April 10th, 2007, 11:39 PM
i would very much like to be involved with the linux news. not just copy paste, but make my own articles and express my opinions and the genral feeling of the comunity about the certain news report.
so sign me up for this. :D

yeah, totally, your more than welcome to continue to submit articles, but this is just to get some regular folks in who'll contribute stuff so that we don't end up with an entire mag of how-to's for a month then nothing! :D

So shall I put you down for News Reporter? (among other things)

plb
April 11th, 2007, 03:06 AM
Can I just handle monthly interviews?

Compucore
April 11th, 2007, 03:21 AM
I cuold help out in someway as well over here. I am going to be receiving in two servers they may be old but still useful somewhat as for installing problems and workaround with using a ubuntu server with a compaq Proliant and a ibm eserver as well. For those who are interested in doing something like that. ANd maybe putting something up like a oracle database using 10G or 10G express. Or using something with Apacke for creating a web server. Those are two examples that I can think of very quickly. Or creating a Mame machine using Ubuntu and mame. (Multiple Arcade Machine Emulator Something that I have been writing on the side with some examples of where to get the blueprints for the cabinets from off the net for free as well.) There are douzen things that can be done in Ubuntu that we call can do a little bit of something with it. Just need t pull in our strengths together and pull something off with it. THe different versions of Ubuntu are good here with different interfaces that we all like. And none of which are bad designs. Does someone else want to do some writing on installing ubuntu on a laptop and maybe find some work arounds on a particular model they had used when installing it. And give examples of what they did to get it working?

Ronniet I could at least put something in with the servers that I will be getting and at least write up on creating a mame machine along with setting one of the servers up as a dataware with a developers program that is free from Oracle. As for the mame machine I have already about 5-6 pages written up already for that part and I am having a friend leaf trhough it for corrections. Since my friend and his brothers do own the full version of some arcae machines and pinball machines at their palces. So this part should be something orth looking into as well under Ubuntu.

Computer.

P.S. Let me in here in private about it if you think it is good.

ronniet
April 11th, 2007, 03:21 AM
Can I just handle monthly interviews?

Well... anyone can interview but certainly feel free to interview people, as i say; if you are going to interview, we need to know a month in advance for readers questions...

But feel free to check out the wiki and get some ideas from there too :
http://wiki.ubuntu.com/UbuntuMagazine

plb
April 11th, 2007, 03:24 AM
Well... anyone can interview but certainly feel free to interview people, as i say; if you are going to interview, we need to know a month in advance for readers questions...

But feel free to check out the wiki and get some ideas from there too :

Ok, btw is there an IRC channel?

ronniet
April 11th, 2007, 03:26 AM
Sure, feel free to write up some articles on MAME or server stuff, every article is useful!

check the wiki for guidelines: http://wiki.ubuntu.com/UbuntuMagazine/

I cuold help out in someway as well over here. I am going to be receiving in two servers they may be old but still useful somewhat as for installing problems and workaround with using a ubuntu server with a compaq Proliant and a ibm eserver as well. For those who are interested in doing something like that. ANd maybe putting something up like a oracle database using 10G or 10G express. Or using something with Apacke for creating a web server. Those are two examples that I can think of very quickly. Or creating a Mame machine using Ubuntu and mame. (Multiple Arcade Machine Emulator Something that I have been writing on the side with some examples of where to get the blueprints for the cabinets from off the net for free as well.) There are douzen things that can be done in Ubuntu that we call can do a little bit of something with it. Just need t pull in our strengths together and pull something off with it. THe different versions of Ubuntu are good here with different interfaces that we all like. And none of which are bad designs. Does someone else want to do some writing on installing ubuntu on a laptop and maybe find some work arounds on a particular model they had used when installing it. And give examples of what they did to get it working?

Ronniet I could at least put something in with the servers that I will be getting and at least write up on creating a mame machine along with setting one of the servers up as a dataware with a developers program that is free from Oracle. As for the mame machine I have already about 5-6 pages written up already for that part and I am having a friend leaf trhough it for corrections. Since my friend and his brothers do own the full version of some arcae machines and pinball machines at their palces. So this part should be something orth looking into as well under Ubuntu.

Computer.

P.S. Let me in here in private about it if you think it is good.

ronniet
April 11th, 2007, 03:27 AM
Ok, btw is there an IRC channel?

Not yet but most of us are using #ubuntu-marketing

plb
April 11th, 2007, 03:33 AM
Couple Questions regarding interviews...

1. How many Questions do we get to ask?
2. Deadline for Question submission? And where do they get asked? The Community Cafe? Will mods give us a Sticky Thread?
3. When must the interview be completed by?

RAV TUX
April 11th, 2007, 03:33 AM
ok, with issue #0 on the home straight (http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=2422390&postcount=424), its time to prepare for the big #1!

I'm looking for people who'd take on a monthly position, voluntary of course!

Most of these little jobs don't even require writing... just copy/paste! :)

So if you're not confident in writing articles, this could be your way of helping out!

Here's the jobs up for grabs ;

News Reporters - several positions for people who want to email in the latest Linux news pieces (with sources).

Q&A Geek - trawl through UbuntuForums (and other places) to find what questions people are asking and what answers they are getting. TAKEN - mrmonday

Desktop/PC Interviewer - hunt through various UbuntuForums posts and have a brief chit-chat with those folks with the most impressive linux desktop/pc to get their secrets...

Linux Lister - look through the UbuntuForums threads and compile lists of the top linux things. Things like the top audio/graphics apps, top obscure progs, etc etc... be inventive.

Linux Listener - to root through the UbuntuForums threads and dig out quirky/funny/interesting stories told by linux users.

Any questions, feel free to ask... :KSCool I just read issue 0....

If you need help with Ubuntu LoCo team news I would be glad to contribute,...please let me know:)

Not yet but most of us are using #ubuntu-marketing

Also you should set up your own IRC channel for ease of use, and to help eliminate confusion, just my humble opinion.

ronniet
April 11th, 2007, 03:45 AM
Couple Questions regarding interviews...

1. How many Questions do we get to ask?
2. Deadline for Question submission? And where do they get asked? The Community Cafe? Will mods give us a Sticky Thread?
3. When must the interview be completed by?

Well, hopefully we'll get someone lined up to interview for issue #2, we'll mention them in issue #1 with a deadline for emailed questions. The number of questions asked depends on how many we get from readers but the interview itself would have to be completed before the deadline for #2.

Don't worry, we'll keep you all posted on deadlines and so on for #1 and #2 :)

ronniet
April 11th, 2007, 03:46 AM
Cool I just read issue 0....
If you need help with Ubuntu LoCo team news I would be glad to contribute,...please let me know:)

Also you should set up your own IRC channel for ease of use, and to help eliminate confusion, just my humble opinion.

The setup of the IRC channel will happen soon... i hope :D

But please do, fill us in on various local news stuff... :D

Should i put you down as LoCo News Reporter?... :)

Compucore
April 11th, 2007, 03:50 AM
I'll take a look into the Mame writing for the magazine. I know it will need to get some reworking on it since it is more general for more than just one OS. I wll make it more specific to using Ubuntu or one of the other distros. Here is a quick question for you. For things that are related like for Mame for instance. Where they could get the software for it to run with Ubuntu, Cabinet designs, joysticks, etc. are acceptable for reference. So they can refer to it that will still stay within the bounds of using the OS for the mame machine. Also are you going to take a look into each article that will be added in for each month before they get release on th pages.

Compucore

Sure, feel free to write up some articles on MAME or server stuff, every article is useful!

check the wiki for guidelines: http://wiki.ubuntu.com/UbuntuMagazine/

plb
April 11th, 2007, 04:00 AM
Well, hopefully we'll get someone lined up to interview for issue #2, we'll mention them in issue #1 with a deadline for emailed questions. The number of questions asked depends on how many we get from readers but the interview itself would have to be completed before the deadline for #2.

Don't worry, we'll keep you all posted on deadlines and so on for #1 and #2 :)

I'm already working on getting someone for issue #1...if that's ok? :)

ronniet
April 11th, 2007, 04:00 AM
I'll take a look into the Mame writing for the magazine. I know it will need to get some reworking on it since it is more general for more than just one OS. I wll make it more specific to using Ubuntu or one of the other distros. Here is a quick question for you. For things that are related like for Mame for instance. Where they could get the software for it to run with Ubuntu, Cabinet designs, joysticks, etc. are acceptable for reference. So they can refer to it that will still stay within the bounds of using the OS for the mame machine. Also are you going to take a look into each article that will be added in for each month before they get release on th pages.
Compucore

Well what you could do is write a series on setting up MAME on an Ubuntu machine? In other words you'd start by explaining MAME and where to get it. Then how to install it on various ubuntu flavours, then how to get joysticks working with it etc etc...

Same with your server idea, you could write a series on how to use an old machine and turn it into a server...

ronniet
April 11th, 2007, 04:02 AM
I'm already working on getting someone for issue #1...if that's ok? :)

Cool, well if you can get someone within a few days let me know so I can mention it in #0... :)

plb
April 11th, 2007, 04:04 AM
I'm on it :) And this is a monthly magazine? Is there a set date for each magazine? like the 1st of each month? Also, will the magazine be available in HTML as well or just pdf?

ronniet
April 11th, 2007, 04:08 AM
I'm on it :) And this is a monthly magazine? Is there a set date for each magazine? like the 1st of each month?

There's no real dates set as we're all volunteers and all it takes is one person to be late to possibly hold up an entire issue but i'll TRY to get issues out by the end of each month starting this month. #0 should be out before the end of this month, hopefully #1 will be out by the end of May... I HOPE! :D

RAV TUX
April 11th, 2007, 04:11 AM
Should i put you down as LoCo News Reporter?... :)Yes I would be more then happy to be a Ubuntu LoCo news reporter....please count me in...

have you created a launchpad account yet that you can list active news reporters?

ronniet
April 11th, 2007, 04:23 AM
Yes I would be more then happy to be a Ubuntu LoCo news reporter....please count me in...

have you created a launchpad account yet that you can list active news reporters?

at the moment we're just using the Ubuntu wiki for the basics (ie: reserving an idea for writing) and the website and forum for discussions (fullcirclemagazine.org)

Will it be various ubuntu LoCo's (preferable) or just your own LoCo you'll be reporting on?...

Thanks for helping out... :)

Compucore
April 11th, 2007, 04:31 AM
Yeah make it in smaller chunks for ubuntu instead of just generalize it all in one. WHat I will do over here right now. I am rewriting the outline for the mame machine itself. And what I will do over here is to use the second server that I will get and just install the different versions of Ubuntu that I will burn onto the CD's here and explain on each like you have mentioned what I did and take extensive notes on it on my laptop while doing it at the same time. With suggestions as I go along through out the series. It might be several issue to go through the whole thing. Including links for specific hardware and other things that can be used. Same thing for the servers and the different version of ubuntu. using an old machine if not where to get an old machine with the different recycling centers.

Let me jot down some ideas here on open office and see where I can devide the article in small chunks and links to the pages for each of them. I will let you know as I progress through them in each of them. Then start several drafts for each of them.

Compucore

Well what you could do is write a series on setting up MAME on an Ubuntu machine? In other words you'd start by explaining MAME and where to get it. Then how to install it on various ubuntu flavours, then how to get joysticks working with it etc etc...

Same with your server idea, you could write a series on how to use an old machine and turn it into a server...

ronniet
April 11th, 2007, 04:36 AM
Cool, no problem.

I'll add your ideas to the wiki... :)

Yeah make it in smaller chunks for ubuntu instead of just generalize it all in one. WHat I will do over here right now. I am rewriting the outline for the mame machine itself. And what I will do over here is to use the second server that I will get and just install the different versions of Ubuntu that I will burn onto the CD's here and explain on each like you have mentioned what I did and take extensive notes on it on my laptop while doing it at the same time. With suggestions as I go along through out the series. It might be several issue to go through the whole thing. Including links for specific hardware and other things that can be used. Same thing for the servers and the different version of ubuntu. using an old machine if not where to get an old machine with the different recycling centers.

Let me jot down some ideas here on open office and see where I can devide the article in small chunks and links to the pages for each of them. I will let you know as I progress through them in each of them. Then start several drafts for each of them.

Compucore

RAV TUX
April 11th, 2007, 04:43 AM
at the moment we're just using the Ubuntu wiki for the basics (ie: reserving an idea for writing) and the website and forum for discussions (fullcirclemagazine.org)

Will it be various ubuntu LoCo's (preferable) or just your own LoCo you'll be reporting on?...

Thanks for helping out... :)I will focus on Ubuntu LoCo teams from around the world

ronniet
April 11th, 2007, 04:45 AM
I will focus on Ubuntu LoCo teams from around the world

Cool, perfect... i'll add that to the news section... :)

Thank you!

Sunnz
April 11th, 2007, 06:32 AM
I do follow FLOSS news in general, so yea I can report whatever interesting stuff I found, and I definitely has one or more news each month.

But I can't write for hell so all I can do is report a link or something.

Nolander
April 11th, 2007, 06:49 AM
Hi All

Ill take Desktop/pc interviewer. hopefully no one has any objections. lol.
2b shor ill be handling most of the articals that go in to the 'My Desktop' section of the mag.

ta,
Nolander.

ps. thanks for the im roonie. u woke me up:lolflag:

mykalreborn
April 11th, 2007, 08:43 AM
ronnie, i'm in. news reporter sounds pretty good to me. i never was the techie kind of guy, so this might suit me better. :D
i'll start writing an article on the whole linux personas thing right away.

ronniet
April 11th, 2007, 01:54 PM
I do follow FLOSS news in general, so yea I can report whatever interesting stuff I found, and I definitely has one or more news each month.

But I can't write for hell so all I can do is report a link or something.

thats ok, all you need to do is email in the article (copy/paste) and be sure to put where you found the news item (its source). :)

ronniet
April 11th, 2007, 01:56 PM
Hi All

Ill take Desktop/pc interviewer. hopefully no one has any objections. lol.
2b shor ill be handling most of the articals that go in to the 'My Desktop' section of the mag.

ta,
Nolander.

ps. thanks for the im roonie. u woke me up:lolflag:

Ok, i'll add you to the wiki... :)
Have a look at this page for some links to helpful material : https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UbuntuMagazine/MyDesktop

hey, no problem, always glad to be a free wakeup call... ;) :D

Sunnz
April 11th, 2007, 02:09 PM
thats ok, all you need to do is email in the article (copy/paste) and be sure to put where you found the news item (its source). :)
Cool!! What address should I send to?

Nonno Bassotto
April 11th, 2007, 02:17 PM
I just downloaded the 4th beta of #0. it seems nice, but I believe you should switch to a landscape layout.

Take this (http://www.tuxmagazine.com/) as an example. Very readable, and in fullscreen mode every page takes exactly the space of your monitor, so you can use the arrows to move thourgh the pages.

A portrait layout only makes sense for a printed magazine.

plb
April 11th, 2007, 02:18 PM
With each issue we need to be sure news reaches digg and osnews. :)

ronniet
April 11th, 2007, 06:43 PM
Cool!! What address should I send to?

If you could email them to me : ronnie[at]fullcirclemagazine.org

Same for anyone wanting to email in news... :)

sonny
April 11th, 2007, 07:43 PM
I don't hang out in the forums too much, but I can do some indepth app review each month, you know from the basics to medium, like how to get the most out of this or that app. I could do a full indepth use of many great apps, OpenOffice Calc (How to keep your income and expenses), GnuCash (Some small to medium accounting), OpenOffice Impress (Executive Pressentations, and advanced options), complete integration of an Ipod under Linux (Music, Photos, Videos, Podcasts, Cover-image, contacts), Integration of Evolutions for advanced office use, beautiful graphs with Rplot, among some other programs.

IYY
April 11th, 2007, 08:04 PM
Linux Lister - look through the UbuntuForums threads and compile lists of the top linux things. Things like the top audio/graphics apps, top obscure progs, etc etc... be inventive.

I could do this. I already know of many obscure apps, often stumble upon them, and test them out. I also have decent writing skills, so I can write short articles describing their use and such.

ronniet
April 11th, 2007, 08:12 PM
I don't hang out in the forums too much, but I can do some indepth app review each month, you know from the basics to medium, like how to get the most out of this or that app. I could do a full indepth use of many great apps, OpenOffice Calc (How to keep your income and expenses), GnuCash (Some small to medium accounting), OpenOffice Impress (Executive Pressentations, and advanced options), complete integration of an Ipod under Linux (Music, Photos, Videos, Podcasts, Cover-image, contacts), Integration of Evolutions for advanced office use, beautiful graphs with Rplot, among some other programs.

Sounds good to me...

Head over to our wiki and put your name down in the HowTo section for the things you've mentioned.

Thank you!

ronniet
April 11th, 2007, 08:15 PM
I could do this. I already know of many obscure apps, often stumble upon them, and test them out. I also have decent writing skills, so I can write short articles describing their use and such.

Cool... i've got a few UbuntuForum urls in the wiki that have good reference material in them:
(under Lists)

You'd be compiling a top 5 or 10, whatever, and telling people about the apps but you choose a category per month like Top 10 Obscure Graphics Apps or Top 5 Audio Players, it doesn't ALWAYS have to be obscure stuff... its just to introduce people to new apps...

Thanks dude...

Fascination
April 11th, 2007, 08:28 PM
Linux Listener - to root through the UbuntuForums threads and dig out quirky/funny/interesting stories told by linux users.

I'd quite happily put the quill to the parchment for this task, if its still available? :)

ronniet
April 11th, 2007, 08:44 PM
I'd quite happily put the quill to the parchment for this task, if its still available? :)

Yep, i'll stick you down for that then... :)

Still need some news reporters folks...

IYY
April 11th, 2007, 10:11 PM
You'd be compiling a top 5 or 10, whatever, and telling people about the apps but you choose a category per month like Top 10 Obscure Graphics Apps or Top 5 Audio Players, it doesn't ALWAYS have to be obscure stuff... its just to introduce people to new apps...

Who gets to choose the category?

ronniet
April 11th, 2007, 10:21 PM
Who gets to choose the category?

in short - you :D

it all depends on what you can dig up that month. As long as it varies from month to month thats fine by me... use the forums here to dig up what you can. As i said; check the wiki for some thread ideas to get you going... :)

IYY
April 11th, 2007, 10:41 PM
in short - you :D

it all depends on what you can dig up that month. As long as it varies from month to month thats fine by me... use the forums here to dig up what you can. As i said; check the wiki for some thread ideas to get you going... :)

Cool. I added a few other potential ideas and applications I might write about that I already discovered through the forums or word of mouth. I would particularly like to do the console applications section, because the power and ease of use of some of these applications tend to amaze users... plus, the geek factor. :p

ronniet
April 11th, 2007, 11:33 PM
Cool. I added a few other potential ideas and applications I might write about that I already discovered through the forums or word of mouth. I would particularly like to do the console applications section, because the power and ease of use of some of these applications tend to amaze users... plus, the geek factor. :p

Feel free to write about all the things you mention in your ideas BUT; most of them might be more suited to reviews more than anything else...

The idea of the Lists is to say 'Top 5 music players' or 'Top 10 Internet Browsers', that kinda thing. So that people can see what else is available (and popular) within a genre (in those cases music players and internet browsers'). Have a look through the threads i mentioned in the wiki and see what people are talking about. What apps and then put them into genres but be inventive, you can reuse apps in lists. So things like Amarok (KDE) can do mp3's so could be in top 5 music players, but it could ALSO be in top 5 podcast catchers/players... :)

But by all means compile a list a month (wouldn't take all that long) and feel free to write some reviews too... :)

sonny
April 12th, 2007, 12:19 AM
Sounds good to me...

Head over to our wiki and put your name down in the HowTo section for the things you've mentioned.

Thank you!

I've done it, count me in for an article each month, just send me an e-mail to get in touch and get into details.

Fascination
April 12th, 2007, 09:38 AM
Yep, i'll stick you down for that then... :)

Still need some news reporters folks...

Excellent - Ive started work already! :)

ronniet
April 14th, 2007, 08:05 PM
could all you guys who've accepted a job please send me your email address?

It's just so that I can contact you guys directly rather than posting here all the time :D
ronnie@fullcirclemagazine.org

We're always looking for help so get in touch if you can help out in some way...

ronniet
April 14th, 2007, 11:00 PM
A very nice lady called Dianne Reuby sent me a list of article ideas for people... get 'em while they're hot!

(add your name beside the article you want in the wiki)

How does recovery mode work?
What should I do to back up my system (so I can restore if I change
something and break Ubuntu)?
Switching from Windows - Finding equivalent software
- How should I organise things (programs, docs, etc)
- Advantages of separate home partition
- What are symlinks? How to create/use them
- Using workspaces (a new concept for Windows users!)
- Where's CTRL-Alt-Del?
Keyboard shortcuts
how do I know what versions are installed?
Can I still attach my ... webcam/mobile phone/digital
camera/printer/fax/etc
How do I back up stuff
Is SUDO always safe? Can I break Ubuntu using SUDO?
filesharing and printing
What's involved in a system upgrade (eg from dapper to edgy)? What
should I do before I start?
Different flavours of 'buntu - what are the differences?

ronniet
April 16th, 2007, 08:41 PM
just want to thank everyone for all the help in making #0 come alive.

From now on, all full circle discussions will be on our own forum:
http://www.fullcirclemagazine.org/phpBB2/index.php

Sometime near the end of May you'll see another post announcing the release of issue #1 :)

see you on the other side! :D

justin whitaker
April 16th, 2007, 08:47 PM
just want to thank everyone for all the help in making #0 come alive.

From now on, all full circle discussions will be on our own forum:
http://www.fullcirclemagazine.org/phpBB2/index.php

Sometime near the end of May you'll see another post announcing the release of issue #1 :)

see you on the other side! :D

I want to say, nice work guys and gals! The #0 issue is really slick!