PDA

View Full Version : did a clean reinstall of Windows- froze on reboot!!

billdotson
April 10th, 2007, 06:40 PM
I was in Windows and I got all my programs I wanted installed and fully configured. To apply the patches, etc. to the things I installe I would simply tell Windows to shut down and then power the PC back on. This time I hit restart instead of rebooot and now Windows is stuck at the blue shutting down Windows screen.

I really don't want to just power it off and I really hope that something isn't wrong w/ my install as I just spent a day and a half putting it back together.

What is going on?? I have only been conencted to the internet long enough to activate the games I bought and downloaded and then any time other than that I had disconnected the PC from the internet.

AAHHHH!!!

daynah
April 10th, 2007, 07:38 PM
Welp, it's not going to do any good having it sit at the shutting down screen. You're just going to have to hit the button. That's what it's there for. It really isn't that bad for your computer.

I doubt something's wrong with it, just a windows hiccup. It does that sometimes.

My dad's computer... one time the turned it off and it wouldn't turn back on. Two days like this. My parents are sitting in the living room and I walk past the computer room and I notice... it's booting up. Magically. There was no one in the room to turn it on. Computer has worked fine ever since. Windows is an odd thing. Just breathe.

If it does work, consider using this time to make a customized Windows install disc since it's so clean and ready. :)

And, hey! You didn't lose any files! :D

prizrak
April 10th, 2007, 07:39 PM
Just turn it off, sometimes it gets stuck.

TravisNewman
April 10th, 2007, 07:45 PM
It happens, a lot actually. No big deal 99 times out of 100

FuturePilot
April 10th, 2007, 07:56 PM
That's happened to me a couple of times. It just hangs a little sometimes. Funny thing is one time I went to go push the power button since it was stuck on the shutdown screen and usually I have to hold it in for 5 seconds before it powers off, but as soon as I pushed it it turned off. Guess it needed a little persuasion.:lolflag:

billdotson
April 10th, 2007, 08:14 PM
thanks a bunch guys.. I just rebooted.. did a chkdsk, a defrag and then booting into Ubuntu to backup my Windows partition w/ dd. :)

DoctorMO
April 10th, 2007, 10:46 PM
I'm not sure why windows would do this kind of thing but in Linux its normally due to abarent services not shutting down when asked or a kernel problem where something has been shut down that is now needed by another thing to do something before it can be shut down correctly. In my case it's because I'd messed up my init a little and it needed fixing otherwise it would stop before restarting every time.