PDA

View Full Version : Submit your xorg.conf online :)

chakkaradeep
April 10th, 2007, 04:57 PM
Hi All,

Submit your xorg.conf online here (http://www.xorg-conf.org/)

This really helps many people to get the right xorg.conf for their vide card. Kewl :)

PetePete
April 10th, 2007, 06:58 PM
thats a great idea

but theres no search facility (that i could find?)

if you've got lots and lots of xorg.conf files there MUST be a way to quickly search them
like specify a monitor / vid card and list all the xorgs relating to them

top idea though

chakkaradeep
April 10th, 2007, 07:02 PM
but theres no search facility (that i could find?)

Yea, me too want the search function. Hope they would add it soon.

max7
August 7th, 2008, 09:51 PM
I am looking for such a site but this one is not working any more.
Is there alternative?

smartboyathome
August 7th, 2008, 10:30 PM
Old post, so don't expect it to. I don't think there is anything similar, and besides, Ubuntu doesn't use Xorg now for graphics drivers unless you have NVidia proprietary. :(

Swarms
August 7th, 2008, 11:07 PM
Old post, so don't expect it to. I don't think there is anything similar, and besides, Ubuntu doesn't use Xorg now for graphics drivers unless you have NVidia proprietary. :(

Oh what does it use then? :o

BLTicklemonster
August 7th, 2008, 11:13 PM
By proprietary, you mean restricted drivers, no? And if so, then what settings would one use for an Nvidia card to bleed the most out of one's card, eh?

FuturePilot
August 7th, 2008, 11:26 PM
Oh what does it use then? :o

The goal is to eventually eliminate xorg.conf all together and write the configuration dynamically with all the autodetection goodness. As of right now most of the configuration is written dynamically, however there is still a minimal xorg.conf which will eventually disappear.

BLTicklemonster
August 8th, 2008, 12:56 AM
In my opinion, autodetect, and let the detected settings be placed in some file like, oh, I don't know, xorg.conf where a person can look, and say "no, no, no, I want more", and edit it to their liking. Honestly, what I want may not be what another person wants/needs. So the Ubuntu overlords are going to force us to use the driver configuration that they deem is best for us? I personally want something I can edit if I so desire. Let it autodetect all it wants, but let me tweak it once it's done.

FuturePilot
August 8th, 2008, 01:25 AM
I believe it will still read the settings if a xorg.conf is present. So when they do get rid of it, if you create that file and put settings in it, it should read from that. You'll almost always need a device specified if you use the Nvidia binary driver because X will not default to that driver if it is installed (http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=NjYwMw)

max7
August 8th, 2008, 08:13 AM
I can't configure xorg.conf with nvidia dual screen with one 1650x1050 lcd and internal one.
If someone know how to do that please post it here
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=883114