PDA

View Full Version : Hacker damages

credo
June 9th, 2005, 09:10 PM
I was thinking after I saw the article about the "World's Biggest Hacker" being extradited to the US. The article I read on TheInquirer here (http://theinquirer.net/?article=23815) said:

The authorities say no sensitve military data was compromised but claim they spent a million dollars clearing up in his wake.

How can it cost a million dollars to clear the damage?

desdinova
June 9th, 2005, 09:16 PM
I was thinking after I saw the article about the "World's Biggest Hacker" being extradited to the US. The article I read on TheInquirer here (http://theinquirer.net/?article=23815) said:

One thing would be the cost of re-installing machines and cleaning them up - if a machine has been compromised it must be rebuilt - so I guess they probably decided to clean up a shed load of machines

Brunellus
June 9th, 2005, 09:19 PM

time is not free; even if the "damage" were entirely soft--not physical--someone has to sort it all out. That guy has to be paid.

credo
June 9th, 2005, 09:19 PM
One thing would be the cost of re-installing machines and cleaning them up - if a machine has been compromised it must be rebuilt - so I guess they probably decided to clean up a shed load of machines

Ghosting? If the US government has a load of machines they want me to ghost, I'll gladly charge them $1million

desdinova
June 9th, 2005, 09:20 PM
Ghosting? If the US government has a load of machines they want me to ghost, I'll gladly charge them $1million
Its a lot more then just bunging the OS back on - its the cost of setup, testing the new environment - investigating exactly what went wrong to see how it doesn't happen again......

bored2k
June 9th, 2005, 09:23 PM
Who knows what was running on the computers he shut down :? . 70 years of jail time for hacking.. hurts.

credo
June 9th, 2005, 09:31 PM
How much would you change the environment? I would leave the network setup much the same, and patch all the software. I spose a security report would be expensive, but a million dollars is a lot of money.

desdinova
June 9th, 2005, 09:34 PM
How much would you change the environment? I would leave the network setup much the same, and patch all the software. I spose a security report would be expensive, but a million dollars is a lot of money.
One thought - if someone got in - how secure are the backups - how far back did the damage go? So you'd have to validate and check EVERY SINGLE backup

poofyhairguy
June 9th, 2005, 11:01 PM

Lawyer costs. Costs to assess damage. Costs to fix damage. Cost of loss of productivity during damage.

Azmodan
June 10th, 2005, 08:21 PM
Its a lot more then just bunging the OS back on - its the cost of setup, testing the new environment - investigating exactly what went wrong to see how it doesn't happen again......

Investigating and correcting the problem should not be part of the cost. It's something they have to do anyway. It's like if you have no lock on your house, somebody break into it and you count the cost to buy a lock with the rest of the stuff he stole.

Njall
June 10th, 2005, 08:53 PM
It is my experience that:

(a) government is fond a BIG numbers. The bigger the better when the number is in it's favor.

(b) government seeks, like any organization, to justify it's existence. Finding "criminals" is one way to justify itself.

(c) government is staffed by people with a collective IQ somewhat less than body temperature.

(d) the cost of clean up is nearly the same as the cost of putting proper security in place first. But this way they don't have to justify doing it.

(e) the government is re-directing attention away from its incompetence by blaming someone else as the culprit for it's collective stupidity.

In otherwords believe what you want. The government is definitely a "fair weather friend".

az
June 10th, 2005, 09:07 PM
The english on that site seemed like it was written by sixth-graders.

I would not beleive a thing from a site like that.