PDA

View Full Version : Police camera in your home?

PartisanEntity
April 10th, 2007, 11:25 AM
If it were possible to have a police camera in your home, obviously not in the bathroom or bedroom, but monitoring your corridors and any area you choose, would you accept it into your home?

koshatnik
April 10th, 2007, 11:29 AM
Are you serious? Why would anyone want that?

teaker1s
April 10th, 2007, 11:36 AM
nice a police state, I believe the in right of privacy

siciliancasanova
April 10th, 2007, 11:40 AM
The problem humanity and the various societies that have tried to work over the past few thousand years is that in order to fix a problem we try and control it. Giving others the authority to try and control a problem and results in us reverting back to a totalitarian state.

Drugs are a good example of this. We don't teach individuals why drugs are bad, we just make tougher laws. All that happens is a black market is created. Crime has gone down in areas where most illegal drugs have been legalized. In areas where the DUI laws are the toughest are also areas that continually have DUI related deaths and MIP/MIC rates rising. My county for one is the highest in the nation for this.

In relation to this post, giving others more power will do nothing but create the illusion of safety or freedom. In relation to my example, Charles Bukowski said it best in his poem "Born Into This" with the line "We live in a country where the jails are full and the madhouses empty" "We live in a country where lawyers charge so much it's cheaper to plead guilty" "We live in a country where hospitals are so expensive it's cheaper to die"

slayerboy
April 10th, 2007, 11:41 AM
SHHHHHHHH! ](*,)

Are you trying to give the idiots in office here in the US ideas?

No thanks...I value my privacy.

I have to ask...what in the fark made decide to even ask a question like this? No offense....

slayerboy
April 10th, 2007, 11:46 AM
"We live in a country where the jails are full and the madhouses empty" "We live in a country where lawyers charge so much it's cheaper to plead guilty" "We live in a country where hospitals are so expensive it's cheaper to die"
exactly!

why do I have the distinct feeling that this thread might lead to me severely offending many people all at once....I'll stay quiet for now:lolflag:

RandomJoe
April 10th, 2007, 12:08 PM
I don't even have my own personal "security" cameras inside. They all look outside at key locations. My initial thought was to have them inside looking at the doors to catch anyone as they come in, but then I decided I didn't want the feeling of being "on camera" all the time, even though it's only my own system.

Not that I need the cameras in the first place - it's more for the hobby/experimenting aspect than anything else I got them. Perhaps I'd feel differently if I actually lived in an area that warranted such equipment. But even then, I can put my own in and have complete control. If something happens, I can choose to release the footage. I certainly don't want something that might be watched real-time by outsiders.

adam.tropics
April 10th, 2007, 12:15 PM
In general I try to avoid police cameras, every time I see one I seem to get a bill in the post and more 'you didn't wanna do that' points on my license!

Spr0k3t
April 10th, 2007, 12:40 PM
In general I try to avoid police cameras, every time I see one I seem to get a bill in the post and more 'you didn't wanna do that' points on my license!

Yeah, running from the computer room to the bathroom may give you a speeding ticket.

adam.tropics
April 10th, 2007, 12:44 PM
Yeah, running from the computer room to the bathroom may give you a speeding ticket.

you have an indoor bathroom?!!

sanderella
April 10th, 2007, 12:47 PM
I wouldn't want one, but I can see how some people would - the frail elderly who are afraid of burglars, etc.

BWF89
April 10th, 2007, 12:56 PM
I would never put a camera in my home. Unless it was in the basement so I could see what my cat does while I'm asleep.

siciliancasanova
April 10th, 2007, 12:57 PM
I wouldn't want one, but I can see how some people would - the frail elderly who are afraid of burglars, etc.

Fear is the only reason people would want it. I'm sorry but they should be fearing the people who would actually want something like that in place.

Laws or threats do not stop people from doing what they want. Those who want to speed, will do so regardless of whether a sign is up or not and those who understand what speed limits are for, will drive in a safe manner regardless of whether or not a sign is up. It's all about how they have been conditioned to think as they have grown up.

The death penalty does nothing to thwart criminals from killing and the execution does nothing for the families who were affected. We continue to embrace such practices though because they create these nice grandiose illusions for us to live by.

PartisanEntity
April 10th, 2007, 01:04 PM
I have to ask...what in the fark made decide to even ask a question like this? No offense....

Actually it was this article (http://www.islamonline.net/servlet/Satellite?c=Article_C&cid=1176025522412&pagename=Zone-English-News/NWELayout) that I read today, and more specifically this sentence:

Critics say fingerprinting school students is part of a "softening-up" exercise to prepare them to accept life in an increasingly watched society.

So I was intrigued to see whether anyone here has been softened-up enough by the media to accept a police camera in their home?

Of course I voted no :)

lyceum
April 10th, 2007, 02:15 PM
DRM does enough to take away our rights, adding camaras would be too much.

slayerboy
April 10th, 2007, 02:55 PM
you have an indoor bathroom?!!

go ahead, you run outside in the middle of the night at 3AM when it's 15 degrees (f) and hope there's no neighbors or other animals that want to surprise you in your boxers!

Heck...in the city here, lately it seems like all you have to do is open the front door of your house and get shot (http://www.13wham.com/news/local/story.aspx?content_id=f0c34d7c-e264-4335-bc26-ac3ea57fde49).....

slayerboy
April 10th, 2007, 03:13 PM
Actually it was this article (http://www.islamonline.net/servlet/Satellite?c=Article_C&cid=1176025522412&pagename=Zone-English-News/NWELayout) that I read today, and more specifically this sentence:

So I was intrigued to see whether anyone here has been softened-up enough by the media to accept a police camera in their home?

Of course I voted no :)

Ahhh...ok...now I see where you're coming from.

Actually...this quote caught my eye the most:

The government is planning to install "talking" CCTVs allowing security staff to shout at people spotted committing anti-social behavior.

I can't say on here what I can only imagine the camera would say to these people. How STUPID do we have to be to allow this to happen?

You want to solve violent crimes real easy?

1. Every family gets a gun with a child lock, and concealed weapons are no longer illegal.

2. All drugs are legal. What are we REALLY protecting here by keeping drugs illegal? You don't see people killing other people over cigarettes, do you? And I challenge you to take my smokes away from me and make them illegal, you ain't seen violence yet.

3. Your kid is under the age of 18? No legal rights. No driving until 18. Parents will be held responsible for the actions of their kids, unless in cases where the child has a mental disorder. STUPIDITY is NOT a mental disorder.

4. Kill welfare. Force these people to get a job and become active members of our society. Lately it seems like if a job is not a cushion office 9-5 job, nobody wants to work anymore. Welfare benefits NOBODY.

I'm so sick and tired of our society and government having to handle the burden of kids. If you're a parent, you need to start acting like one. The TV/PS2/Wii/Xbox is NOT a babysitter! Nobody takes responsibility anyrmore for anything.

"I put the coffee between my legs and it spilt because it was too hot and now I'm a millionaire." I'd like to meet the judge/jury who actually made this decision. If I was on that jury, we would've been deadlocked, because my butt would've been laughing the whole dang time.

Responsibility and Common Sense

RAV TUX
April 10th, 2007, 03:21 PM
Ahhh...ok...now I see where you're coming from.

Actually...this quote caught my eye the most:

I can't say on here what I can only imagine the camera would say to these people. How STUPID do we have to be to allow this to happen?

You want to solve violent crimes real easy?

1. Every family gets a gun with a child lock, and concealed weapons are no longer illegal.

2. All drugs are legal. What are we REALLY protecting here by keeping drugs illegal? You don't see people killing other people over cigarettes, do you? And I challenge you to take my smokes away from me and make them illegal, you ain't seen violence yet.

3. Your kid is under the age of 18? No legal rights. No driving until 18. Parents will be held responsible for the actions of their kids, unless in cases where the child has a mental disorder. STUPIDITY is NOT a mental disorder.

4. Kill welfare. Force these people to get a job and become active members of our society. Lately it seems like if a job is not a cushion office 9-5 job, nobody wants to work anymore. Welfare benefits NOBODY.

I'm so sick and tired of our society and government having to handle the burden of kids. If you're a parent, you need to start acting like one. The TV/PS2/Wii/Xbox is NOT a babysitter! Nobody takes responsibility anyrmore for anything.

"I put the coffee between my legs and it spilt because it was too hot and now I'm a millionaire." I'd like to meet the judge/jury who actually made this decision. If I was on that jury, we would've been deadlocked, because my butt would've been laughing the whole dang time.

Responsibility and Common Sensereminds me of the Philip K. **** story "The Minority Report"

http://www.philipkdick.com/covers/minorityreport.jpg
http://www.philipkdick.com/aa_intro.html

rai4shu2
April 10th, 2007, 03:55 PM
I think what would motivate people to do this is not fear but exhibitionism.

siciliancasanova
April 10th, 2007, 04:04 PM
Exhibitionism is not motivation. It is a pseudo trait.

Animals aren't motivated by exhibitionism.

Animals are motivated by fear.

We are merely animals.

EdThaSlayer
April 10th, 2007, 04:10 PM
I don't want to have them looking at me install Linux! They will think its something 'illegal' and arrest me, only for me to come out of jail 5 minutes later.

mand0
April 10th, 2007, 04:14 PM
If it were possible to have a police camera in your home, obviously not in the bathroom or bedroom, but monitoring your corridors and any area you choose, would you accept it into your home?

NEVER.

If this motif interests you I suggest you look at A Scanner Darkly (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Scanner_Darkly).

rai4shu2
April 10th, 2007, 04:37 PM
I think this is what ran through my mind when I saw this topic:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0108162/

mips
April 10th, 2007, 04:47 PM
If only I had access to the camera or can grant a security firm access during my absence then 'yes' I would.

We have a product here that works on cellular, so you can get the video on your cellphone. Could be handy to see if there is anyone in your house. it's easier to commit identity theft without fingerprints. At least I can just give them finger prints which they can verify with old records on file that I'm the real deal and not the imposter.

daynah
April 10th, 2007, 05:40 PM
I was at a student government meeting at my school and the supervisor of the lunchroom announced that soon the ID cards were going to have our biodata on them. Basically, not a picture of our fingerprint, but a chip on it that had a file that said what our fingerprint looked like. Gather? Yes.

So, it was the lunchroom lady saying this because currently my school has, basically a mall food court and they're trying to switch over to a more traditional college cafeteria. Which I'm all for, healthy food. But they don't want people stealing your cards or whatever and using your money your food.

Somehow I'm less worried about people stealing my meal plan (can't I just cancel it and get a new card for $10?) and more worried about people stealing my identity.

I duly raised my hand in the meeting and asked if we would be given the option to opt out of the biometric cards (they will be used for food, housing, bookstore, vending machines, gym, bursar's office, maybe even parking later) and she replied simply, "Why would you want to do that?"

"Um... because it has our biological data on it, and with all the identity theft going around--"

"No, you can't opt out. Not if you want to eat."

... Yeah. Uh huh. There WILL be a way to opt out by the time the program gets going. There's got to be some legal ruling, I just haven taken the time to find it.

PartisanEntity
April 10th, 2007, 05:44 PM
I was at a student government meeting at my school and the supervisor of the lunchroom announced that soon the ID cards were going to have our biodata on them. Basically, not a picture of our fingerprint, but a chip on it that had a file that said what our fingerprint looked like. Gather? Yes.

So, it was the lunchroom lady saying this because currently my school has, basically a mall food court and they're trying to switch over to a more traditional college cafeteria. Which I'm all for, healthy food. But they don't want people stealing your cards or whatever and using your money your food.

Somehow I'm less worried about people stealing my meal plan (can't I just cancel it and get a new card for $10?) and more worried about people stealing my identity.

I duly raised my hand in the meeting and asked if we would be given the option to opt out of the biometric cards (they will be used for food, housing, bookstore, vending machines, gym, bursar's office, maybe even parking later) and she replied simply, "Why would you want to do that?"

"Um... because it has our biological data on it, and with all the identity theft going around--"

"No, you can't opt out. Not if you want to eat."

... Yeah. Uh huh. There WILL be a way to opt out by the time the program gets going. There's got to be some legal ruling, I just haven taken the time to find it.

The first thing you should do is tell them to get lost when they come to collect your biometric data.

Of course someone could sue them too, then it would become a landmark case, and most probably the judge will be pressured into deeming it necessary for all citizens to obediently hand over their biometric data, all in the name of lunch security of course...

rai4shu2
April 10th, 2007, 06:42 PM
Or they can just save some time and demand that you accept a "666" on your right hand or forehead.

Erik Trybom
April 10th, 2007, 08:19 PM
Of course not. Almost no-one would do that.

That's why it's so fascinating that people readily accept cameras in the streets, on metro stations, in buses and so on. Do you suddenly lose your need for privacy the same moment you step out the door?

Oh yeah, and the U.S. government's got my fingerprints. US-VISIT tests every foreigner that enters the country, and they keep the fingerprints forever. Not even if I became a U.S. citizen I would be able to get those prints out of their register.

Makes you feel safe, right?

PapaWiskas
April 10th, 2007, 08:58 PM
There is no such thing as privacy....they know more than you think they do....8-[

insane_alien
April 10th, 2007, 09:00 PM
we are watched by enough cameras already. why would i want someone to be able to glance into my inner sanctum? i want privacy. if i can't get it in my own home then where would i be able to get it? thats where i would spend a lot of my time.

mips
April 10th, 2007, 09:31 PM
Of course not. Almost no-one would do that.

That's why it's so fascinating that people readily accept cameras in the streets, on metro stations, in buses and so on. Do you suddenly lose your need for privacy the same moment you step out the door?

Oh yeah, and the U.S. government's got my fingerprints. US-VISIT tests every foreigner that enters the country, and they keep the fingerprints forever. Not even if I became a U.S. citizen I would be able to get those prints out of their register.

Makes you feel safe, right?

I really don't see the problem with cameras in public, you are in public spaces after all, anybody can see you and even take a picture of you if they want.

Over here you have to submit to finger printing for your ID document, Passport & Drivers license. It really does not bother me, I have nothing to hide and nothing to fear.

PartisanEntity
April 10th, 2007, 09:39 PM
All these web2.0 applications reduce privacy as well.

Google Reader - all the news feeds you read are online
Facebook et al - info about and who you know all online
Google - your searches are known
ISP - what you up and download is kept on file for 2-3 years
youtube - what you watch is online
amazon - what you buy is online
etc...

bobbybobington
April 10th, 2007, 11:31 PM
What would be the point of a police camera anyways? It's not like an officer will pull up the second a robber breaks in, that only happens in the movies. If you're worried about safety get a good dog and loaded pistol. Heck, if you're worried about your safety you wouldn't let them put a camera in your house. This kind of stuff leads down a slippery slope towards tyrannical government.

aktiwers
April 11th, 2007, 01:25 AM
I would break those cams all the time... They are everywhere already, now also in my apartment? No thanks!

I wouldn't feel safer at all..http://img325.imageshack.us/img325/5301/ltt0605187vc.gif

Nils Olav
April 11th, 2007, 01:37 AM
I honestly wouldn't care; I really don't do anything of interest to others.

Phatfiddler
April 11th, 2007, 01:50 AM
I for one welcome our prying government overlords.