PDA

View Full Version : Looking for some help this morning

siciliancasanova
April 10th, 2007, 11:03 AM
So I did web design and development for a while and did CMS sites on the side. I now want to turn that all around and offer only CMS, but even more so, selling instructional videos on how to use Drupal CMS. I have already created the videos and have started making the site. I have a ubuntu section of the site where I'm going to show visitors how to install ubuntu. (I'm not trying to make something competitive with psychocats, I am linking to that site anyway in a couple of places) I want something that just goes from What is Ubuntu to the end where you have it installed and you can now configure your desktop. At that point I will point the user in a direction of other sites that can take them to the next step. I've been working on the site for a couple of hours and basically I just want some feedback on the progress so far and any suggestions before I get the layout locked in for good. www.skylabservices.com (http://www.skylabservices.com)

Thanks for any responses

EDIT: No I am not selling the ubuntu guide. Just the Drupal stuff, as an alternative to having us build it for the client.

Fascination
April 10th, 2007, 12:00 PM
This may sound odd, but it looks a bit bare yet cramped at the same time. It just seems to be your run of the mill layout, but the 'guide area' is cramped in - if Im reading a guide on how to install something, I like for it to be taking up at least the majority of the page so I can read it clearly, and not have the rest of the website intruding. :)
The actual guide itself is quite good, but do you really need a guide that covers the actual installation? The installing process for Ubuntu is really intuitive and the wiki guide already covers any common pitfalls a user may stumble across.

siciliancasanova
April 10th, 2007, 12:10 PM
As far as do I need a guide. Think of it in SEO terms. Have you ever run across CSS zen garden? The site is created to show all these amazing designs done in CSS and the user thinks they have the capability to do it themselves. Then they realize they can't but the people that made those sites obviously know how so they go to their website and ask them to make them a site. It's that reverse mentality. I don't want to drive people from drupal.org to the site and be pitching web development to them. I want them to feel like they can do it themselves, and if they can more power to them. We have instructional videos they can purchase. If they realize they can't, well we can build a site for them.

The ubuntu side of the site is really just to take some of the focus of the site off of drupal and make us appear more diverse. Even though we are posting a guide they could get somewhere else. Maybe our site will be the first time they ever heard of ubuntu, which is quite possible. On my myspace page I put up a Ubuntu button 1 month ago and have got 5 people asking me and eventually installed ubuntu and they had never heard of it before.

I will see what I can do about that cramped feeling. I know what you mean, I will probably just do some line spacing.