PDA

View Full Version : S.T.A.L.K.E.R - How's it run in Wine?

FoolsGold
April 10th, 2007, 12:00 AM
I've read the two Wine reports for this game:

http://appdb.winehq.org/appview.php?iVersionId=7363 (fails badly)
http://appdb.winehq.org/appview.php?iVersionId=7377 (works mostly)

and I'd like people's own experiences with running the game under Wine, if they've tried it. I've never bought a Windows game for the purposes of running it solely in Linux, but I've been interested in S.T.A.L.K.E.R for a while and am curious.

Bekker
April 14th, 2007, 12:00 PM
Normally I would suggest downloading the demo, but the developers apperantly didn't have the time to make a demo... I did find a russian demo floating around on the web, maybe that can help you.
On winehq the last reviewer gave it a bronze rating on feisty, so that looks like a good experience to me but it's still a gamble whether it'll work

Sidolin
April 14th, 2007, 08:46 PM
Hi,
it works great, when you have a nvidia-card and at least wine 0.9.35. But it needs a no-cd crack.

The singleplayer is 100% playable, the only drawback is that you cant use the dynamic lighting-renderer.

sid

POW R TOC H
April 13th, 2008, 04:05 PM
Hello there. I am thinking of downloading STALKER myself, but I didn't see anyone mentioning that multiplayer works (that's why I want stalker anyway :D ). I don't want to open a new thread for the exact same question, so, can somebode please tell me does it work? Thanks in advance...

wouldya
April 13th, 2008, 04:39 PM
I dont play a lot of games but I know S.T.A.L.K.E.R. needs a very good hardware to run even in the normal windows possibilities. Do you have a good hardware? Enough RAM? Great CPU?
I know someone who tried it with a good PC but it didnt work. Maybe you should think about that first.
It is sometimes so bad that all the good games are only available for windows. :(

POW R TOC H
April 13th, 2008, 05:01 PM
I have a fairly good hardware, and more that enough RAM (ddr2 ram is rather cheap now :D ). A few months ago while I still had windows, I played stalker with all settings high, except the dynamic lightning... Unfortunately, I lost the DVD, so I have to download it now... I will try my luck anyway, and I'll post my results :D