PDA

View Full Version : GoogleBrowserSync or Opera Speed DIal?

floke
April 9th, 2007, 11:22 PM
Which is more useful in your opinion?

Google Browser Sync (Firefox)

http://www.google.com/tools/firefox/browsersync/

Or the Speed Dial feature in the new Opera build

available here: http://snapshot.opera.com/unix/Weekly-636/

For me its the GoogleBrowserSync. The best new extension I've come across for a long time. Is now the main thing keeping me from going back to Opera after the recent crash on Feisty.

How about you?

rai4shu2
April 9th, 2007, 11:28 PM
I don't even use Opera, but I think this is more useful:

http://my.opera.com/desktopteam/blog/show.dml/785941

floke
April 9th, 2007, 11:35 PM
But you have to set it up manually for different PCs.
Does anyone really have 9 pages they absolutely MUST get to in 2 clicks?
For my main pages (eg. Gmail, Ubuntu forums) I usually have them open 24/7 in protected tabs anyway, so where's the benefit?

I just don't get it.

vlado
April 10th, 2007, 09:58 AM
Well, and what about Foxmarks?
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/2410
It has been around for a while and to me seems to do exactly what Googles 'hot new add-on' does.

Colonel Kilkenny
April 10th, 2007, 10:53 AM
Why should I choose between Firefox extension which syncs your bookmarks (if I've understood correctly) and Opera speed dial -feature. The have nothing to do with each other. Both made for totally different things.
After Opera has sync-feature (it's under development) we can compare between Firefox extension and Opera feature, not before.

Btw. Speed dial really rocks.

edit. Had to vote for Speed dial as I don't use Firefox.

jiminycricket
April 10th, 2007, 11:07 AM
Google Browser is the best thing I've ever used. If you use Firefox on more than one computer, more than one platform, or even dual-boot, it's useful as hell.

It syncs:
*bookmarks
*PASSWORDS and logins
*cookies (so you don't ever have to re-login)
*history
*the last tabs you opened (so you can close your browser at work, and then start off right were you were when you login at home)
*encrypts these things

Opera is also coming up with an answer to this in the future BTW, but GBS is perfect for me right now. Although I do wish it could sync extensions..maybe that could be a premium feature.

floke
April 10th, 2007, 01:34 PM
Well, and what about Foxmarks?
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/2410
It has been around for a while and to me seems to do exactly what Googles 'hot new add-on' does.

The Google syncer will sync your history and your last saved session too - so you can surf the web at home - go to work and carry on exactly where you left off - and vice versa.

See above post.

Why should I choose between Firefox extension which syncs your bookmarks (if I've understood correctly) and Opera speed dial -feature. The have nothing to do with each other. Both made for totally different things.

Its not a choice really - just which function you think is more useful. For me the ability to sync between PCs is more useful than being able to quickly access my bookmarks.

Just your preference really,

daynah
April 10th, 2007, 02:05 PM
Mannn speed dial is great, people. I actually had difficulties getting to ubuntuforums when I did a clean install of feisty.

Also, I don't want my history and last session zapped from my laptop to home... who knows whos going to pop onto my desktop? I don't care how many passwords I put on it, the best safety is to have one eye on your computer at all times (like a laptop) and you can't do that with a desktop, so no bad things on a desktop. ;)

I don't use favorites, I use blinklist, because there was nothing like the firefox addon for so long. But blinklist isn't in your browser, and firefox doesn't have tags... the tags are FAR more important to me, so I choose blinklist.com. Also, I would rather just not have bookmarks because I find them messy... just having opera save my speeddial, clean and simple, and have blinklist organize my messy bookmarks with tabs is great. Oh, and I use wists.com to organize my shopping dreams, and get to see other people's.

I love the web. Oh, wait, it's web 2.0 now isn't it? :P my profiles are blinklist.com/daynah and wists.com/daynah

jiminycricket
April 13th, 2007, 12:54 AM
I've been using speed dial more and more these days :)

It's a very well-thought out interface. "Opened tabs" "Most frequently visited tabs", and address bar, thumbnails, etc. A pleasure to use, especially since it makes so much sense to have it whenever I open a new tab, since that's when I'm going to a website anyways.

It might just have put my bookmarks bar out to pasture, except that I have some folders that link to different threads on the same site..

Polygon
April 13th, 2007, 06:06 AM
maybe they might make one for opera. They started out only supporting internet explorer... then firefox... now maybe they can create a widget for opera to do the same thing?

Sunflower1970
April 13th, 2007, 06:12 AM
I just discovered Opera Speed Dial tonight. I absolutely love it. :)

LookTJ
April 13th, 2007, 07:16 AM
I voted for google browser sync...only because I use firefox.

Mateo
April 13th, 2007, 07:27 AM
Been using Foxmarks for that forever. It seems like Google creates something that's been around forever and then gets credited as the originator. happens all the time with them ;) .

LookTJ
April 13th, 2007, 08:18 AM
Been using Foxmarks for that forever. It seems like Google creates something that's been around forever and then gets credited as the originator. happens all the time with them ;) .google sync isn't only for bookmarks but for passwords and history as well

I don't let google sync my bookmark....that's what I use delicious for.

Mateo
April 13th, 2007, 04:11 PM
i guess the password feature might be nice. i don't use history at all though. i'd consider it if it weren't so intrusive in firefox.

floke
April 15th, 2007, 08:43 PM
You can configure it so it will sync what you do and don't want it to do.
The more I use it the more I like it. I can use the web at work. Go home. Open up F/fx and pick up exactly where I left off.

Lovely stuff.