PDA

View Full Version : How may I clean my LCD monitor (laptop)?

Gargamella
April 9th, 2007, 07:21 PM
I have two ugly spots on my lcd screen :mad: ...but I don't know if i may clean them and how to do it.

Please, post your knowledge ;)

Andrea

rai4shu2
April 9th, 2007, 07:24 PM
Moisten a hand towel. Wipe gently. Dry. :)

John.Michael.Kane
April 9th, 2007, 07:26 PM
What i use is an eyeglass cleaning cloth,and a 50/50 mix isopropyl alcohol/water. making sure the cloth is just damp not soaking.

mips
April 9th, 2007, 07:44 PM
What i use is an eyeglass cleaning cloth,and a 50/50 mix isopropyl alcohol/water. making sure the cloth is just damp not soaking.

+1

m.musashi
April 9th, 2007, 07:48 PM
Everything I've heard is to use only water. Some screens have a coating that can be damaged by alcohol. I've heard of product that is supposed to be safe for laptop screens (from Apple maybe) but can't remember.

Make sure the towel is made for screens (or the eyeglass ones are good too) and definitely never use a paper towel.

cstudent
April 9th, 2007, 07:49 PM
I wear glasses and buy these pre-moistened eyeglasses wipes made by Bausch & Lomb at Wal-Mart. They come in little packets like the hand wipes you get at your favorite ribs dinner. They work out well for cleaning my LCD screens too.

cyberdork33
April 9th, 2007, 08:10 PM
microfiber cloth, warm breath

Yoooder
April 9th, 2007, 08:59 PM
There are multiple types of LCD screens, with the primary difference being the surface of the screen (that gets all finger-printy and nasty).

If you have a glossy screen (when your screen is off it is almost like a dark mirror) you *should* be safe to use a mild alcohol solution.

For ALL other types, you really should use a lint-free microfiber cloth and ONLY distilled water. I personally use an eyeglass cleaning cloth, and dip a corner in a capfull of distilled water.

Just be very gentle and patient, don't scrub. If something is stuck that won't just wipe off then allow it to soak up a little water from the cloth and come back to it.

LCD's are very sensitive to chemical cleaners, as many have an outer layer that becomes dried out and can crack or haze over from cleaners.

fearevilleet
April 9th, 2007, 09:18 PM
You should use a brillo pad. But seriously I buy a screen cleaner at wall-mart for 3 bucks. It is in the electrinics isle and works great on all of my electronics.

Gargamella
April 9th, 2007, 09:28 PM
so for a laptop screen I may try a suede cloth (like the for eyeglasses or pianos) and simply distilled water, right?

darkhatter
April 9th, 2007, 09:58 PM
old sock and some water

Ubunted
April 10th, 2007, 12:04 AM
Windex and paper towels.

m.musashi
April 10th, 2007, 12:06 AM
Windex and paper towels.

:) especially the screen of the jerk in the next cubicle at work.

elephant007
April 10th, 2007, 04:20 AM
http://www.laptops-express.com/articles/how-to-clean-your-laptop-screen.php

this is taken from ehow.com "Dell laptop displays can be cleaned by using a very soft cloth just slightly dampened with water."

Alcohol is mainly used to make evaporation much quicker than just plain water.
I personally use some eyeglass cleaner that I purchased from Wal-Mart along with the soft cloth the came with the product... what's cool is it's free refills on the eyeglasses cleaner!!!! I use that on my TrueLife Dell monitor for my laptop.

Gargamella
April 10th, 2007, 08:47 AM
http://www.laptops-express.com/articles/how-to-clean-your-laptop-screen.php

this is taken from ehow.com "Dell laptop displays can be cleaned by using a very soft cloth just slightly dampened with water."

Alcohol is mainly used to make evaporation much quicker than just plain water.
I personally use some eyeglass cleaner that I purchased from Wal-Mart along with the soft cloth the came with the product... what's cool is it's free refills on the eyeglasses cleaner!!!! I use that on my TrueLife Dell monitor for my laptop.

very nice thank you

mips
April 10th, 2007, 10:08 AM
You should use a brillo pad.

That is very bad advise, some people here will actually try that. I know you are being sarcastic but some just wont get it.

Spr0k3t
April 10th, 2007, 10:52 AM
Lint free microfiber cloth and distilled water. Very little pressure. If you use a spray bottle, one squirt applied to the cloth should be good for at least three monitors.

koshatnik
April 10th, 2007, 11:27 AM
Lint free microfiber cloth and distilled water. Very little pressure. If you use a spray bottle, one squirt applied to the cloth should be good for at least three monitors.

Yep, distilled water not tap water. Goes for anything else of that ilk too - cleaning CD's, vinyl etc - no solvents, no alcohol.

Xenogis
April 10th, 2007, 11:29 AM
I use a cloth for cleaning a piano with a disc cleaning solution containing ~40% alcohol and the rest water. I don't recommend it though since you aren't supposed to use alcohol

RandomJoe
April 10th, 2007, 12:20 PM
At home, my screens rarely get anything gunky on them - I'm not a screen-poker and I keep those who are away! Here, on the rare times I do any cleaning it's just with a water-damp cloth to knock the dust off.

At work, our laptop screens can get pretty nasty over time. Between all the screen-pokers and the fact much of our work is in boiler and mechanical rooms (dusty, grungy places). In spite of all the admonitions against using them, I've had no trouble at all using Windex and paper towels. But I spray the cleaner on the towel (just slightly damp) and follow up with a water-only towel. And I use a light touch on the screen - no scrubbing! We did have some "eyeglass cleaning cloths" - premoistened towelettes - at one point, but they tended to fog up the screens, such that I wound up going back and cleaning again with the paper towels to remove the film. But ours were some cheap knockoff, certainly not Bausch & Lomb quality.

Many sources say that's not good to do, but I've been doing it at work for 11 years now... As with all advice, YMMV and the advice is probably worth what you paid for it! ;)

gustojr
April 12th, 2007, 04:06 AM
I found this solution by accident, because I was looking for a hardcase for my digital camera. Try handi/baby wipes. No mixing, no messing.

McLogic
April 12th, 2007, 05:21 AM
a 50/50 mix isopropyl alcohol/water. making sure the cloth is just damp not soaking.

I use old t-shirts, as I have been told that they don't hold grit. I also have lots of them.

When I am lazy I don't mix in the water. Putting strait 70% isopropyl on the screen has never caused any trouble.

richbarna
April 12th, 2007, 05:28 AM
I found this solution by accident, because I was looking for a hardcase for my digital camera. Try handi/baby wipes. No mixing, no messing.

Beat me to it Lol!

Also those little packets of wipes for glasses (I steal them from my wife ;))

Nance
August 21st, 2008, 05:42 PM
I use Clean 'n Safe pads. They work great.

Stan_1936
August 21st, 2008, 05:54 PM
Windex and paper towels.

Hahahahahahahaha!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:lolflag::lolflag: