PDA

View Full Version : Perl programming in sdba (http://duncanlamb.com/sdba/)

JRaz
April 9th, 2007, 05:55 PM
I'm not sure if this is more of a perl or sdba question so bare with me. Basically I'm attempting to write a msn bot in sdba (http://duncanlamb.com/sdba/). Sdba allows you to write pages in perl as if the msn chat was a web server and each response was like a web page.

Anyway the bot I am making is a hangman game which will generate a random word from a database and then present the game to the user, the user will then send a message containing a character until he/she dies or correctly guesses the word.

The problem is however that the variables are global to all users, so Player A would initiate a conversation and a game. Then Player B decides to start a game too, however he would end up getting Player A's game and progress since he would be using his variables.

I initially thought of making every non-array variable an array and every array a 2d array with the users email address as the index, however while I cant think of why it wouldn't work I had trouble implementing such a method.

Anyway I've rambled for long enough so ill just post my code bellow and if anyone can think of a way to implement the index method i talked about or possibly a better method I'm all ears. Thanks in advance.

#HEAD:play
<%
if(!$word){
$word='hangman';
@char=split(//,$word);
}

#reduce msg to 1 char lower case
$msg=lc substr($INCOMINGMSG,0,1);

#if alpabetic then add to guesses
if($msg=~/[a-z]/){
#clear msg if its a repeat
for($a=0;$a<@guess;$a++){
if($msg eq $guess[$a]){
$msg='';
}
}

#if msg nt clear then add it to array
if($msg){
# push(@guess,$msg);
$guess[$a]=$msg;
}
}

imecho "@guess\n\n";

for($a=0;$a<@char;$a++){
$letter='_';
for($b=0;$b<@guess;$b++){
if($char[$a] eq $guess[$b]){
$letter=$char[$a];
}
}
imecho $letter;
}

$NEXTPAGE='game.first';
%>

JRaz
April 10th, 2007, 02:38 PM
Well I managed to figure out that problem and am almost done I'm my implementation of hangman, I just have one hurdle left. I need to generate a random word from a large a dictionary as possible.

So I have two choices, ideally I would like to be able to generate a random word form aspell or less ideally does anyone know a good word list I can dumb into a mysql table and just read off a random row.

Any help would be appreciated, many thanks.

PS If anyone is interested I am happy to post the code, but be warned it aint pretty lol :P

JRaz
April 11th, 2007, 08:54 PM
Well the bot is pretty much up and running, if anyone would like to add it the address is hangraz@hotmail.com and he runs on the MSN network.