PDA

View Full Version : Finally put Beryl on Feisty

siciliancasanova
April 9th, 2007, 02:53 PM
Hmm, so I just installed Beryl on Feisty Fawn.

Compared to Edgy...

Edgy took me about 5 hours.

Feisty took me 5 minutes.

And the 6 virtual desktops are nice.

mand0
April 9th, 2007, 04:23 PM
I just got the beta installed. How'd you do it?

prizrak
April 9th, 2007, 04:29 PM
Feisty comes with Compiz out of the box anyway. If it would also ship the GUI for managing plug ins it would be great.

siciliancasanova
April 9th, 2007, 04:31 PM
Seemed a little to easy. I only ran into one error and that was after I restarted X and installed Beryl, it said Beryl wasn't installed but output the command to install it so I did that and it was golden.

Here is the site (http://www.arsgeek.com/?p=1313).

siciliancasanova
April 9th, 2007, 04:33 PM
Feisty comes with Compiz out of the box anyway.

You say it as though the two options of enabling a cube and making the windows wiggle are some how comparable to a Beryl installation.

prizrak
April 9th, 2007, 06:13 PM
You say it as though the two options of enabling a cube and making the windows wiggle are some how comparable to a Beryl installation.

Just because it's not in the GUI doesn't mean it's not there ;) Yes Beryl has more options but in my experience it doesn't work as well as Compiz does. There is also a slightly better GUI available now in the repo's but it's not even a suggested dependency of desktop-effects package. The two are now merged anyway and depending on how things go we might get newer versions after the final Feisty release. There is also a third party repo that can be added and has CGWD in it. Either way the main reason I have an OGL desktop is for the Alt-Tab preview and Expose effects so I'm happy with either one ;)

Well I got completely off track. The reason I said it is that if someone doesn't want to/has a hard time dealing with Beryl they can just enable Compiz with one click in Feisty and still have some effects. You know just to give an option of using something else.