PDA

View Full Version : Project Management.

palmerthegeek
April 9th, 2007, 01:20 PM
Good morning fellow cafer's:

I am doing some research regarding project management software/server applicaitons.

Do you have or use either local install or server-web-based applications that you think rock?

Please share.

BTW: The current application in use is dotproject. Which is a great application however, a bit complex for my needs.

Thanks.

djsroknrol
April 9th, 2007, 01:34 PM
I use OO planner...it works fine for me...

palmerthegeek
April 9th, 2007, 01:40 PM
Thank djsroknrol... never thought about looking toward oo. Will check it out.
Have a great day.

Hendrixski
April 9th, 2007, 01:42 PM
I've tried both Planner and KPLato, and both have their quirks. I hate to say this but MS Office Planner may be a small step ahead of the game.

Planner didn't seem to handle time of day very well, and KPlato didn't handle redrawing the document very well (have to push a button to see your updates.. very un-intuitive). Planner gives pretty sharp and informative reports, though didn't seem flexible.

But the most important thing in project planning is not the tool, it's the person using it. No project ever failed due to bad planning software, it failed due to a bad planner. So find the one that you like. Planner and KPlato are easy to install on Ubuntu, give them a spin. :-)

palmerthegeek
April 9th, 2007, 01:50 PM
Very true about the person. Defenately been there, done that before... I working with a small group of developers/ support staff. Some of them are not interested in accessing the project stuff, while others are "hands-on".
I don't mind the project management side.... Just want to have some options for the applciation!

Will defenately take a spin on the Planner and Kplato.

maniacmusician
April 9th, 2007, 02:03 PM
I haven't attempted this, but http://zoho.com/ has some Project management software. I find their word processing software to be quite good (It's all web-app based stuff), so I hope their project management would be good too. You can check it out for yourself and see; I have no idea what project management entails so I wouldn't be able to give you a good review anyways.

palmerthegeek
April 9th, 2007, 02:53 PM
Thanks maniacmusician.
From my intial look'sie, seem like this might work. Thanks and have a great day.

Dragonbite
April 9th, 2007, 03:30 PM
I know it isn't Linux-related but a Windows Open Source product I've used is OpenWorkbench (http://www.openworkbench.org/). Unfortunately the website is down right now and I don't know if it is a technical issue, or the project was destroyed by sinister means?!

mips
April 9th, 2007, 03:41 PM
I'm not a big fan of proj. man.software apps. All the project management i have ever done involved paper, spreadsheets & email. Never had any big setbacks as i kinda micro planned and took risks into consideration and had a plan B :)

palmerthegeek
April 9th, 2007, 06:54 PM
Dragonbite: Thank you. I've tried the openworkbench site a couple of days. Beginning to think there was a sinister plan buy someone to "take-it-out"!

mips: Thank you for your thoughts. I agree sometimes having single app that forces users to function in a certain way isn't t really functional.

afljafa
April 9th, 2007, 10:30 PM
I use groupoffice.

Web based, community version, simple.

aktiwers
April 9th, 2007, 11:13 PM
I think there is a Program in the repo's called Planner. It worked great for my study group.

palmerthegeek
April 11th, 2007, 02:27 AM
aflijafa and aktiwers,

Thank you both for the input. I've had a couple recommendations regarding Planner, and I'll check out groupoffice.

Have a great day.

emkubed
April 18th, 2007, 08:55 PM
I too have been looking for open source project management software. Unless I'm missing something, programs like planner and kplato are GUI-based, and I am not going to be able to run them from the shell, or access them from the web.

I have a basic LAMP installation of 6.10 and I was hoping to offer something web-based so off-site collaborators could access this from their own offices.

Maybe I should instead look at simply hosting user files and load some sort of php calendar software to let them hit this from the web. www.zoho.com looks great, but I want the data on my server.

IYY
April 19th, 2007, 07:18 AM
Why not try Launchpad.net? Or is this not exactly what you mean by project management?

emkubed
April 19th, 2007, 02:36 PM
Not quite. I maintain a server for a friend who does web design and various other projects. He wants something setup in Ubuntu so he can host files, sample websites, and manage those clients' projects (they can see how far along he is with certain projects and grab sample images, files, site design, whatever).

I would think there would be some web-based program I could fire up with my LAMP install, maybe there's some open source php-based calendar/scheduling software out there that would meet these needs.

Adamant1988
April 19th, 2007, 02:41 PM
Good morning fellow cafer's:

I am doing some research regarding project management software/server applicaitons.

Do you have or use either local install or server-web-based applications that you think rock?

Please share.

BTW: The current application in use is dotproject. Which is a great application however, a bit complex for my needs.

Thanks.

Honestly, TomBoy and Zim give me all the structure I need.

motin
July 2nd, 2008, 03:58 PM
Currently, the best bet in my eyes is the Agilo for Scrum Trac plugins: http://www.agile42.com/cms/pages/download/

Looks really solid, and based on Trac, which in it's own is a great project management tool.

I am currently evaluating Agilo during the next two months and will be back later...

Dragonbite
July 2nd, 2008, 04:08 PM
I am currently evaluating Agilo during the next two months and will be back later...
Look forward to hearing your "review" on it; the good, the bad and the ugly!