View Full Version : nice story by a new user

ubuntu_demon
June 9th, 2005, 03:50 PM
here's a nice story by a new user :
http://www.ubuntulinux.org/wiki/WindowsXPUbuntu

lurah
June 9th, 2005, 06:10 PM
Yeah, nice story.

And many people don't know that they have other choices.
I agree. There are like a "billions" peoples that dont even know that IE is different thing than internet ](*,)

Anyway. Linux offers me firefox, email, irc, gaim and now when freebasic is on linux too, i sayd bye bye for win****. \\:D/

bored2k
June 9th, 2005, 06:16 PM
He made a quite drastic approach (mv /dev/null Windows). I would have left Windows just in case he or his wife needed something until they know how to do it the UBuntu way. I'm sure he could find help here though.

poofyhairguy
June 9th, 2005, 06:39 PM
This part is great:

One problem though, I need to find a way to share my webcam with my family and they are all on MSN Messenger. With Windows I could just plug in a device, such as a USB webcam, install the device driver and voila. I want to maintain an open channel of communication with my family who are in other parts of the world. True, I can chat with them using Gaim but MSN Messenger provides an AV feature. I am sure the Free Software Community will be able to come up with one of its own ... but when?

Then, there is Kasey, my wife. She had to go on about why I had to remove Windows when that is all she can use. How do I explain to someone like her that Windows is NOT her only choice? I guess I'd just have to let her get used to the Linux "look-n-feel" and I would have to get used to the complaints that would accompany the learning process.

Out of his two problems, the fact that his WIFE is uncomfortable with the move is a distant second. Very LoL. Sometimes I'm amazed nerds get married at all.

ubuntu_demon
June 9th, 2005, 06:44 PM
This part is great:

Out of his two problems, the fact that his WIFE is uncomfortable with the move is a distant second. Very LoL. Sometimes I'm amazed nerds get married at all.
:-D

Brunellus
June 9th, 2005, 06:54 PM
He made a quite drastic approach (mv /dev/null Windows). I would have left Windows just in case he or his wife needed something until they know how to do it the UBuntu way. I'm sure he could find help here though.
some of us don't get the choice. I switched to Linux at home full-time when my old WinME box was unbootable in Windows. I didn't want to have to shell out $$ for XP. I didn't want to pirate. So I went first with SuSE and then to ubuntu.

The cold-turkey approach to quitting Windows worked for me. I'm now a total F/OSS advocate to all my friends.

I only use Windows at work (and even then I hate doing it). My next computer would be a dual-boot, if only for the games (Civ 3, the Total War series, and others that are all known not to work in wine).

bored2k
June 9th, 2005, 06:56 PM
some of us don't get the choice. I switched to Linux at home full-time when my old WinME box was unbootable in Windows. I didn't want to have to shell out $$ for XP. I didn't want to pirate. So I went first with SuSE and then to ubuntu.

The cold-turkey approach to quitting Windows worked for me. I'm now a total F/OSS advocate to all my friends.

I only use Windows at work (and even then I hate doing it). My next computer would be a dual-boot, if only for the games (Civ 3, the Total War series, and others that are all known not to work in wine).
With the current state of Linux gaming, I dont think I can be 100% Linux right now. I dont play much, but I like the option to be able to play 3D with my crappy system.

ubuntu_demon
June 9th, 2005, 07:02 PM
With the current state of Linux gaming, I dont think I can be 100% Linux right now. I dont play much, but I like the option to be able to play 3D with my crappy system.
yeah I like to be able to play some games too .. also there are no linux drivers for my scanner

bored2k : 3,271 posts already!!!! :-D

bored2k
June 9th, 2005, 07:04 PM
bored2k : 3,271 posts already!!!! :-D
http://www.contagiousgraphics.com/Shirts/NoIdeaAstroGloTee.gif how it happened :? ..

poofyhairguy
June 9th, 2005, 07:10 PM
With the current state of Linux gaming, I dont think I can be 100% Linux right now.

With the future state of console gaming:

http://www.ps3portal.com/?view=image_gallery&album=37

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/4557443.stm

weekend warrior
June 9th, 2005, 07:21 PM
Fair story as they go. Though forcing others to Linux just isn't on. [-X There are any number of civil ways to approach this on a shared computer but it seems he took the brute force method. :twisted:

TBH it seems a bit "dear diary" to be in the wiki. Someone searching for this would expect advice for switching, maybe a checklist of sorts, or useful solutions to common problems, but probably not this. :confused:

Seems more like material for right here in the chat.

weekend warrior
June 9th, 2005, 07:24 PM
Heh, well I just got "Dipped in Ubuntu"! Seems I'm moving up in the world! ;-)

bored2k
June 9th, 2005, 08:15 PM
With the future state of console gaming:

http://www.ps3portal.com/?view=image_gallery&album=37

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/4557443.stm
Well yeah of course. COnsole gaming will vanish Computer gaming for good in no more than 4 years. But in the mean time, I want some games.

Kyral
June 9th, 2005, 08:37 PM
Very nice story, now i wish I could get my family to switch to Linux...

I honestly have half a mind to sneak an UbuntuLiveCD in the CD try of my sister's laptop and watch the fireworks :D

(We are talking about people who still use IE and refuse to use anything other than "name-brand" software)

Brunellus
June 9th, 2005, 09:09 PM
Well yeah of course. COnsole gaming will vanish Computer gaming for good in no more than 4 years. But in the mean time, I want some games.

Console games will win the vast bulk of the market, sure. Sadly, the sort of game that I actually did enjoy will not be on the consoles. The last serious turn-based strategy game that I remember on any console was Koei's Romance of the Three Kingdoms.

But don't even get me started...