PDA

View Full Version : PHP and some cake

kesomir
April 9th, 2007, 11:21 AM
Hi all,

I've been using PHP for a reasonable amount of time, but from a procedural rather than OO approach. ($this->makes[lesssense2me]).

I've grabbed cake because automation of framework is really fast, but mainly because I need decent code separation for a couple of larger projects I'm starting to build.

My problem is that I'm finding myself somewhat lost with learning it. Following the tutorials is fine, I just have to learn the function / helpers etc through use, but I try to solve a problem such as reading a config from the database and come up short.

From any in the know, what's your opinion on spending time on OO PHP before touching cake or to pick that up while learning to use cake? Or even, is it likely to be in my interests to switch to learning something like Ruby on rails?

I picked cake because I thought "aha I already know php, that's the quickest option!". Now I'm not so sure ;)

Oh, some nice cake resource pointers would be nice - there is a book that's not out yet and I know of the sitepoint and the IBM ones.

kesomir
April 9th, 2007, 01:21 PM
After more of a browse around here, I stumbled onto a few other frameworks in the stickied PHP post in this forum.

From reading through the documentation for an hour, I think codeIgniter is much more suited to what I want out of a framework and the docs seem great at explaining what I need to know.

Going to try that instead.

:lolflag: