PDA

View Full Version : Cant get to the OS

Bobberb
April 9th, 2007, 04:34 AM
Ok, So I install wubi and everything is fine
I reboot and hit the "Ubuntu" option in my boot menu
it loads and loads and loads, and then I get some errors and from there is just gives me a CLI and I have no idea what to do!

the errors include something with I-O and kernel panics

also, this is Wubi under a bootcamped macbook

Bobberb
April 9th, 2007, 04:35 AM
Hello everyone, I seem to have a problem booting feisty (beta) on my dell 1.8ghz 768 mb ram 128mb gpu box.

When I try to boot the CD I just get an error that something is not connected and something about an I-O

(I might need a bios upgrade, but Ill try that later)

aysiu
April 9th, 2007, 04:48 AM
So are you saying you get the I-O errors when you use Wubi and when you use the Feisty installation CD?

Bobberb
April 9th, 2007, 03:25 PM
So are you saying you get the I-O errors when you use Wubi and when you use the Feisty installation CD?

yessir

aysiu
April 9th, 2007, 04:05 PM
Can you post as much information as you have?

For example, what are the specifications for your computer (processor, RAM, etc.)?
What are the exact errors you get (I know it's annoying to have to break out the pen and paper to write it down, but verbatim relaying of error messages are more likely to lead to a solution)?
Do the Feisty CD and Wubi give the same errors? Or are they slightly different?

Bobberb
April 9th, 2007, 09:46 PM
Can you post as much information as you have?

For example, what are the specifications for your computer (processor, RAM, etc.)?
What are the exact errors you get (I know it's annoying to have to break out the pen and paper to write it down, but verbatim relaying of error messages are more likely to lead to a solution)?
Do the Feisty CD and Wubi give the same errors? Or are they slightly different?

not anymore, it was a floppy disk error, now it just gets stuck at the 3rd block out of 20 during the boot after grub (orange and black bar)

Bobberb
April 9th, 2007, 09:51 PM
I have given up on wubi, I am bringing this to general help

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=405318 (the boot problem)

aysiu
April 9th, 2007, 09:52 PM
Do you know what a checksum is?

What are the specs on your computer?

Freezing up during a boot of the Desktop CD (or "live CD") usually has to do with one or more of the following:
1. Not enough RAM
2. Hardware failure
3. CD that got corrupted during the ISO download
4. CD that got corrupted during the ISO burn

Bobberb
April 9th, 2007, 09:55 PM
It is not about that anymore

the CD is fine, I installed perfectly (i wiped windows, so no more wubi)

The problem is the startup will not....go (past the 3rd "block/section")

Bobberb
April 9th, 2007, 09:57 PM
Do you know what a checksum is?

What are the specs on your computer?

Freezing up during a boot of the Desktop CD (or "live CD") usually has to do with one or more of the following:
1. Not enough RAM
2. Hardware failure
3. CD that got corrupted during the ISO download
4. CD that got corrupted during the ISO burn
It might be a hardware failure, I do not know, but I was able to INSTALL with the alternate cd (but not get past the boot screen)

Ptero-4
September 29th, 2008, 01:04 AM
Were you using the same Desktop CD for both wubi (on the Mac) and installing on the Dell box? It could be a bad download/bad burn (would explain why it fails in BOTH installs).

ago
September 29th, 2008, 10:17 AM
parent is an issue from beta 2007...