PDA

View Full Version : is there a Linux Personality?

4KvRMU7Nnv
April 9th, 2007, 03:30 AM
I recently started wondering whether there was any link between the personality of a person and his or her tendency toward using linux. I know I am an unusual person becuase I use linux but at the same time I wonder if others who use linux are like me. The best way to test this would be to use a personality test. The one I chose was the Myers-briggs personality test. If a bunch of you fellow Linux users would take one of these quick online tests and we compare scores we could see if there is a trend at any point. The score will consist of four letters. I was an INTJ. How about you?

::EDIT::
The scary part is that INTJ's and INTP's (the two most common I'm seeing) combined make up only slightly more than 5% of the worlds population, while the other 14 make up the other 95%. These are practically the rarest personalities. In a room full of 100 people, 2 will be INTJ's and 3 will be INTP's yet in a room of 10 Linux users, 9 out of 10 will be one of these. I think this may have something to do with the minority of Linux...because there aren't enough people with the right predispositions toward the whole concept!

23meg
April 9th, 2007, 03:35 AM
INTJ here as well. But there are many bugs in the Myers-Briggs test.

maniacmusician
April 9th, 2007, 03:36 AM
With a background in psychology, I'm going to say the following; You're not going to see too much of a correlation with something like Myers-brigg. Any correlations you do find will probably be more the result of coincidence than anything else.

Some traits that could be possible among Linux users; technical aptitude, flexible patterns of learning, an interest in computers.

Other than that, you're really not going to see much correlation at all unless you do extensive (read: expensive) personality testing of everyone on the forums and then some :)

4KvRMU7Nnv
April 9th, 2007, 03:46 AM
ah well, it still could be fun! there HAVE to be some similarities between all of us beginning at least with being open-minded enough to try linux as an alternative to windows! but yes, i suppose the meyers briggs doesn't really test the things that would identify a linux user but it would be interesting if we all had similar scores nonetheless wouldn't it ? :popcorn: and 23meg, I personally have taken a lot of those meyers-briggs both online and offline and I always get the same letters so it may be slightly flawed but i don't think it's too far off.

Somenoob
April 9th, 2007, 04:24 AM
ah well, it still could be fun! there HAVE to be some similarities between all of us beginning at least with being open-minded enough to try linux as an alternative to windows!

That's not every Ubuntu user's case.

BillinDetroit
April 9th, 2007, 05:12 AM
ah well, it still could be fun! there HAVE to be some similarities between all of us beginning at least with being open-minded enough to try linux as an alternative to windows! but yes, i suppose the meyers briggs doesn't really test the things that would identify a linux user but it would be interesting if we all had similar scores nonetheless wouldn't it ? :popcorn: and 23meg, I personally have taken a lot of those meyers-briggs both online and offline and I always get the same letters so it may be slightly flawed but i don't think it's too far off.

A consistent flaw is a still a flaw. When I was a participant on a BBS that was focused on posting the results of the Meyer-Briggs test, I posted my score as "RTFM".

I'd rather not shoot you down but "I hope you don't mind if I sit this one out". (Jethro Tull)

aysiu
April 9th, 2007, 05:16 AM
With a background in psychology, I'm going to say the following; You're not going to see too much of a correlation with something like Myers-brigg. Any correlations you do find will probably be more the result of coincidence than anything else.

Some traits that could be possible among Linux users; technical aptitude, flexible patterns of learning, an interest in computers.

Other than that, you're really not going to see much correlation at all unless you do extensive (read: expensive) personality testing of everyone on the forums and then some :)
I agree with maniacmusician on this issue.

wersdaluv
April 9th, 2007, 05:37 AM
What a coincidence... I'm an INTJ too. haha

darweth
April 9th, 2007, 07:46 AM
There is definitely a Mac personality. Love of top-down authority, tightly-controlled environment, spoonfed and convenient workings. Mac users have been known to curse the fact that something like Rockbox even exists because how dare someone alter the out of the box behavior of an Apple product! God forbid someone wants to extend the functionality of something they purchased in a free manner!

EdThaSlayer
April 9th, 2007, 11:01 AM
HUMANMETRICS

Jung Typology Test

Your Type is
INTJ

I just took the Human Metrics test for personality. Guess what I got, INTJ. :)

sloggerkhan
April 9th, 2007, 11:13 AM
Hate to ruin all the INTJness, but I got an INTP. I think when I was a teenager I got an INTP, though.

Swab
April 9th, 2007, 11:25 AM
Infj

christhemonkey
April 9th, 2007, 11:29 AM
Your Type is
ESFP
Extraverted Sensing Feeling Perceiving
Strength of the preferences %
33 12 25 33
Well that screws that theory up a little bit... lol.

zanglang
April 9th, 2007, 12:06 PM
INTP as well. But it's a good thing isn't it? You could say there's just no such thing as a Linux personality, and any single person, no matter what psychology type or social tendencies, can easily pick up the operating system and still be at ease. ;)

Falconix
April 9th, 2007, 12:10 PM
Your Type is
ENFP
Extraverted Intuitive Feeling Perceiving
11 50 25 22

4KvRMU7Nnv
April 9th, 2007, 11:41 PM
whoaaaaa....there are a lot of us INTJs but i have been reading a little about it. the whole sequence makes less of an impact as the middle two and the outer two as a pair. I noticed that all but like 2 of us are "NT"s which is enough to unite use in that way. Becuase of this, you two INTP's are not too far different from the INTJs becuase we are both "NT"s I know all of this is kind of ridiculous because it doesn't have any real correlation, but its still fun. Christthemonkey and falconix...dunno whats up with you guys....lol. It's funny that we only get two Extraverts in the group even when (I think) overall the world is more extraverted than intraverted.

Falconix
April 9th, 2007, 11:56 PM
whoaaaaa....there are a lot of us INTJs but i have been reading a little about it. the whole sequence makes less of an impact as the middle two and the outer two as a pair. I noticed that all but like 2 of us are "NT"s which is enough to unite use in that way. Becuase of this, you two INTP's are not too far different from the INTJs becuase we are both "NT"s I know all of this is kind of ridiculous because it doesn't have any real correlation, but its still fun. Christthemonkey and falconix...dunno whats up with you guys....lol. It's funny that we only get two Extraverts in the group even when (I think) overall the world is more extraverted than intraverted.

To ensure so the right people runs Linux it would be nice to put some sort of personal test when you install Linux.

I think i will be left out with my strange non-linux personality.

red_Marvin
April 10th, 2007, 12:10 AM
IIRC I was an INTP last time I checked, and it probably hasn't changed.
But more generally one could say that I have a strong technical interest, like to tinker and to know how stuff works.

Trackieman
April 10th, 2007, 12:13 AM
A Linux personality?
Yes. Why if I change my graphics card, hard disk or whatever. Am I being made to feel a criminal for not purchasing another OS license to cover my new graphics card, hard disk or whatever.
Gee whiz, you'd think the proprietary software company was subsidizing hardware manufaturers!

Hendrixski
April 10th, 2007, 12:26 AM
You know, there may be something to this... there are alot of INTJ's and INTP's so far, and I'm an ENTJ ...
I always assume that these things change over time, but I took one a while back, at my previous job, and I just took it now and I'm still and ENTJ. cool, eh?

So the NT part is consistent, what is that intuitive and technical? :-)
Good thread!

spinflick
April 10th, 2007, 12:40 AM
I got INFP

# slightly expressed introvert
# moderately expressed intuitive personality
# slightly expressed feeling personality
# slightly expressed perceiving personality

%hMa@?b<C
April 10th, 2007, 01:33 AM
I got INFP

# slightly expressed introvert
# moderately expressed intuitive personality
# slightly expressed feeling personality
# slightly expressed perceiving personality

INFP

You are:

* distinctively expressed introvert
* distinctively expressed intuitive personality
* moderately expressed feeling personality
* moderately expressed perceiving personality

same score, different "you are"

qpieus
April 10th, 2007, 01:44 AM
Istj

4KvRMU7Nnv
April 10th, 2007, 02:01 AM
NT means you are intuitive and thinking...which basically means you are technically inclined.

Omnios
April 10th, 2007, 02:07 AM
My personality= I am not going to take it anymore. Stupid windows stuff that peeved me off like $3 smiley packages for a few smileys.

I love to learn and XP is totally you don't learn anything orientated.

I think there is a Linux personality but they all differ a bit.

trishacupra
April 17th, 2007, 02:23 PM
I love technology, I love customizing things to suit me, I'm open-minded and non-mainstream and I believe the majority is always wrong. Can anyone relate to that?

richardjennings
April 17th, 2007, 02:35 PM
Intp 78 50 12 11

zoetrope666
April 17th, 2007, 02:50 PM
I'm apparently an INFJ. What does the T stand for if you're an INTJ??

ceil420
April 17th, 2007, 02:53 PM
I love technology, I love customizing things to suit me, I'm open-minded and non-mainstream and I believe the majority is always wrong. Can anyone relate to that?

Very. My favourite movies of late are the futuristic sort (Aeon Flux, Ultraviolet, Gattaca, etc), and I've judged games on character customization before ;) Outwardly, I'll say "screw Microsoft" or "screw Ford", but really, I'm open to them actually impressing me. Hasn't happened yet, but I wouldn't fight it (well, the new Mustangs are cool <_<). I don't think the majority is *always* wrong, just usually.

But I really don't like people :x Odd, considering my linux of choice, but I just can't stand inefficiency, and society is very inefficient in my eyes :x

Oh right, the personality.

Your Type is
INTJ
Introverted Intuitive Thinking Judging
78 62 62 33

Qualitative analysis of your type formula

You are:

* very expressed introvert
* distinctively expressed intuitive personality
* distinctively expressed thinking personality
* moderately expressed judging personality

richardjennings
April 17th, 2007, 02:54 PM
thinking

i answered slightly differently (as I might do depending on mood) and got INFP 89 56 12 33

sanderella
April 17th, 2007, 03:42 PM

I'm so glad to have found someone else who agrees with me.The MBTI is completely naff and a waste of time, energy and money. If it were true, then the whole human race would fit into 16 little boxes as far as personality is concerned. There are many personality tests published on the Internet now. Just type personality test into Google and see what you get. Some are more accurate than others, and all results should be read with a modicum of scepticism. There are lots of interesting links to personality from the Wikipedia pages.

(I am a trained mental health nurse now retired):)

silentsoldier
September 10th, 2008, 04:03 AM
There is an article titled:

'The Elements Of Style: UNIX As Literature' by Scoville

url to article: http://www.rap.ucar.edu/staff/tres/elements.html

which explains one way to view people who use linux.

Myself? I don't like being told how to use something. I just want to do what I want with no restrictions--this applies to everything that I do. Since linux allows me to do this, I like it.

lisati
September 10th, 2008, 04:15 AM
I haven't taken an online test for a while (personality or otherwise) but I'm beginning to identify with RTFM: I find the thought of a family member with a better education than myself asking for help when they could have looked up the answer in the help pages of the software they're using mildly annoying and slightly amusing!

cardinals_fan
September 10th, 2008, 04:20 AM
I'm an ESTJ

practical, realistic, matter-of-fact. Decisive, quickly move to implement decisions. Organize projects and people to get things done, focus on getting results in the most efficient way possible. Take care of routine details. Have a clear set of logical standards, systematically follow them and want others to also. Forceful in implementing their plans.

stat30fbliss
September 10th, 2008, 08:27 AM
Although I am not taking the test, I will agree that it takes a certain 'breed' to use Linux. You have to think and act a bit different, but you are not held down by the ties set by the developers. It is the perverbial(sp) digital playground.

Linux helps you think outside the box :)

TheSlipstream
September 10th, 2008, 10:06 AM
I got INTP, so I'm fairly Linux-y.