PDA

View Full Version : One very Confused Thinkpad

faylix
April 9th, 2007, 03:22 AM
I started with a Lenovo T60. Wonderful laptop, came with XP.

However, i quickly got bored with windows.

next came Ubuntu, its working pretty slick now.

But I'm getting bored again... I think I'm going to put OS X on it next (the x86 JaS 10.4.8 hack)

sooo... One laptop.. tripple booting XP/Ubuntu/OSX :guitar:

anyone else doing this? anyone have any tips? Horror stories?

-J

bigee1212
April 9th, 2007, 06:31 AM
doing same setup on my dell with JaS 10.4.8

Works well, GRUB detects the OS X partition. My only problem was that os x doesn't detect my ipw3945 wireless card. The forums members at insanely mac are working on it. So whenever i boot into os x, its only at my desk with an ethernet plug attached.
My suggestion to you is to go to the OS X wiki (too lazy to get the link) and they have a laptop section that tells you what hardware is supported on your machine. I would assume everything is, but don't take chances.

BTW OS X ROCKS, but at least with ubuntu i still have some control. I only boot into Vista for CS source...lol

faylix
April 10th, 2007, 01:53 AM
Ack, I have that same wireless card. That sucks! Hopefully they will get on it as its a fairly popular and well working wireless card.

can your mac partition read and write to NTFS? At least for now i'm keeping all my media (mp3's movies etc)

any tips you might offer?

I was thinking i'd use partition magic to chop up some extra space, but going from there i'm slightly unsure. Got any tips with grub or a sample /etc/fstab?

I think I'll sink my teeth into it this coming weekend.

-J

rodik
April 12th, 2007, 06:54 AM
Hi, sorry for not having an answer. I actually come to ask.. where can i get info and download the OS X?? I also have a T60 and got bored with the XP and ubuntu..so i would looove to install the mac os..can you point me in any direction?? thx and i also hope the wireless card will work soon..

mips
April 12th, 2007, 01:59 PM
Hi, sorry for not having an answer. I actually come to ask.. where can i get info and download the OS X?? I also have a T60 and got bored with the XP and ubuntu..so i would looove to install the mac os..can you point me in any direction?? thx and i also hope the wireless card will work soon..

No one is goint to tell you where to download it as it would be in contravention of forum rules.

What I can however tell you is to go to the OSx86 Project website and surf from there, http://osx86project.org/

faylix
April 13th, 2007, 03:53 AM
it is findable. I'll be doing this this weekend. I just got beryl running exactly as I like so its time to do something new.

I wonder how Mac OSX will compare to my full 3d desktop.

-J

Wee_Guy
April 13th, 2007, 12:54 PM
That's my dream setup!! (although i wouldn't mind whether the laptop was a Thinkpad or a Black MacBook)

I would love that setup because:
>Windows--for running windows-only apps.
>Linux--for playing around with/because i want to learn about it.
>Mac OS X--for doing all the stuff that other Mac users do, exept instead of cracking up whenever i wanted to run a app that was windows only, i would just re-boot into windows!

I love OS X, i'm not bored of it and i have used it for about a year, but i quickly got bored of Windows and the errors and crashes and troubles that i had with it.

lumberjack
June 15th, 2007, 03:24 AM
I just reformatted my T43. It used to be XP/XP/ubuntu
after reformatting, I installed XP, then OSX, then Ubuntu 7.04.

One problem. GRUB doesn't recognize OSX.
I think all i need to do is specify the drive and image to load, so could somebody post their Grub menu.lst file contents? It should be located under /boot/grub/

On a different note, we should make some nice triple-boot themed backgrounds, in honour of this amazing combination. Anybody interested?

Dark-Ace
June 15th, 2007, 06:07 AM
Well,i'm unsure but i may be getting a broken laptop with no Ram,HD and broken screen fix it up and see if it is possible to just put OSX without any other OS in it so is it and how may i go about installing OSX?

lumberjack
June 16th, 2007, 12:39 AM
Before installing OSX, you need a working computer. Ram, a hard drive, and a dvd drive are a must. Most laptops are able to use external monitors, so you can just plug in an old monitor instead of getting a replacement screen. Replacement screen are pretty expensive.

Once your computer is powering up, then you go about installing whatever operating system you desire. For this, you need an install cd/dvd for that operating system. For OSX, you'll most likely need a x86 version, because your laptop probably isn't made by Macintosh. Also, OSX installs off of a dvd, so you'll need at least a dvd drive to install it. Once you get a working disk, you go through the standard install procedure.

twocargar
September 7th, 2007, 09:44 PM
OS X on a Thinkpad T42 is pretty cool. Unfortunately the wireless card doesn't work. The PCMCIA slot works after some fiddling, so maybe there's some hope for going wireless on it. Ubuntu's the main OS though.

Personally, I prefer OS X on a Mac. For me, the whole point is to have OS X work the way it's supposed to. I like Linux because it doesn't ususally work right out of the box, and that keeps me interested. But that's just me.