PDA

View Full Version : Help me out! (support Ubuntu if you like it)

Curlydave
June 9th, 2005, 02:08 PM
http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/topic-44565-0.html&highlight=

I might bitch and complain and whine like crazy on these forums, and you probably think that I hate Ubuntu and Linux. That's not true at all; of all Linux distros I'm familiar with, Ubuntu is the hands-down winner. I just post about the bad things here.

I think that you should post in that thread why you like Ubuntu so much. I gave it a start, but hopefully some people better versed in distro comparisons can help more!

somuchfortheafter
June 9th, 2005, 03:04 PM
maybe i was a bit mean,.....

Sniffer
June 9th, 2005, 03:07 PM
After reading this

and this

http://www.geocities.com/techie_moe/tech/ubuntu504.htm

I think they are missing the hole point of Ubuntu Distro and any Linux Distro, this guys at least the member that have post the thread is a LFS user and have built his own distro...i have tried also and it is indeed some good educational experience... tough sometimes..most of the times....WE JUST DON'T HAVE TIME...and we need the title "something that just works"......

It really doesn't matter if it is a based distro, a rpm distro, tgz distro or a deb distro.... the most important thing on ANY DISTRO is the support (read user forum) that the distro has..when you have problems you need somebody to help your ass out..EVERYBODY....

That's why Ubuntu is the best...Ubuntu community is Great, Free and has the best SUPPORT I EVER SEEN...just look at the how to section, ubuntu guide etc....

So BRING IT ON THE PROBLEMS..BECAUSE WE ALL TOGETHER ARE HERE TO SOLVE THEM.

My 2 cents
Sniff.

Brunellus
June 9th, 2005, 03:20 PM
A great deal of the carping is "Ubuntu is different, so I hate it. And I've never used sudo in my life and I'm not about to, now."

There are some things that could conceivably be done better with Ubuntu, I guess. Support for graphics cards and wlan cards could conceivably be better --I understand that here the main culprit is the device manufacturers' insistence on windows-only binary drivers, but most users won't/don't get past the "OMFGZ, IT DOESN'T WORK" stage. The other thing that I've been concerned with has been the potential for MythTV support, which, judging from the extant documentation, is not as easy as with other distributions, but still possible with study and care.

I think the "Linux for Human Beings" motto works very well for Ubuntu. I find it much easier to maintain than my old distribution (SuSE 9.1 Personal), but there's always more to learn and more to experiment with. A friend of mine commented that he was surprised that I was the only non-geek he knew (that's a relative measure, since he's in the IT industry) running Linux--and a *real* distribution at that (his words), not Linspire or Xandros. I would tell him that Ubuntu is as real as I need it to be and as simple as I need it to be.

Pixel
June 9th, 2005, 03:49 PM
I've only been using Ubuntu for 2 days now, and I love it...

Before I've used Redhat, Mandriva, Fedora Core 3, and Gentoo... They were all nice in their own way, but the way I loo kat it, Ubuntu takes everythign that these distros did right, and took out the stuff they did wrong...

I would rather have a much more interactive install process, I like being able to choose what apps my system will have after I finish installing, but it's so easy to just add them later that it's not really that big of a deal...

ubuntu_demon
June 9th, 2005, 04:02 PM
- ubuntu is user friendly ... comparable to windows XP (when configured and installed by an experienced user)
- ubuntu has a great community
- ubuntu has up to date packages (very up to date if you use backports)
- ubuntu is free
- ubuntu is stable
- ubuntu is secure (especially when SElinux will be introduced in ubuntu)
- ubuntu there are lots of software available without adding to much repositories (I have only backports and backports-extras added)
- ubuntu is easy to maintain using the update manager

compmodder26
June 9th, 2005, 04:24 PM

I might bitch and complain and whine like crazy on these forums, and you probably think that I hate Ubuntu and Linux. That's not true at all; of all Linux distros I'm familiar with, Ubuntu is the hands-down winner. I just post about the bad things here.

I think that you should post in that thread why you like Ubuntu so much. I gave it a start, but hopefully some people better versed in distro comparisons can help more!

I was just about to post this very same topic. However, I think the topic is about flamed out now. The OP hasn't responded yet though, so maybe he can get it going again.

poofyhairguy
June 9th, 2005, 06:32 PM
http://www.geocities.com/techie_moe/tech/ubuntu504.htm

Worst review ever. If someone reviews Ubuntu and doesn't figure out how to enable the Universe then the review is automatically worthless.

bored2k
June 9th, 2005, 06:39 PM
Worst review ever. If someone reviews Ubuntu and doesn't figure out how to enable the Universe then the review is automatically worthless.

Ubuntu is popular for the same reason AOL is popular: people are morons. This guy is being a complete ignorant ____ . PHG, if you could invite him over so we could all have our Q&A with the brilliant genius who could not enable universe. He couldn't enable universe, yet he has a Gentoo review ? ...

Brunellus
June 9th, 2005, 06:43 PM
This guy is being a complete ignorant ____ . PHG, if you could invite him over so we could all have our Q&A with the brilliant genius who could not enable universe. He couldn't enable universe, yet he has a Gentoo review ? ...
..he's too busy pretending he's 1337.

compmodder26
June 9th, 2005, 06:48 PM
Nah, TechiMoe is a pretty smart guy. And for the most part a fairly non-biased guy. I don't agree with all of his thoughts (especially his review of Ubuntu), but he's mostly a decent guy. He definitely doesn't think he's 1337 though.

bored2k
June 9th, 2005, 06:50 PM
Nah, TechiMoe is a pretty smart guy. And for the most part a fairly non-biased guy. I don't agree with all of his thoughts (especially his review of Ubuntu), but he's mostly a decent guy. He definitely doesn't think he's 1337 though.
I just want to know how was he not able to enable universe, yet he can install gentoo.

You get basically the simple KDE apps (Konqueror, KMail) and OpenOffice. SIMPLE apps ? Konqueror passed teh ACID2 test ! That's simple ? GOod Lord.

Multimedia support out of the box is nonexistent. He doesn't even mind explaning why UBuntu is like this or even say how the reader can fix this ? He writes it like if Ubuntu users are a bunch of hermits who think of the sound of their lousy CPU Fans as Satriani like metal.

Not being able to install 3D drivers, having the multimedia applications fall flat, and not being able to run anything useful due to a complete lack of package selection are definitely at the top of my list. He's too pro for me.

compmodder26
June 9th, 2005, 06:53 PM
I just want to know how was he not able to enable universe, yet he can install gentoo.

Well I can't comment on that. That's a question for him. From what I understand, he doesn't do Debian. You can look at his profile on linuxforums.org and you can see that his favorite distros are either RPM based or Gentoo or BSD.

poofyhairguy
June 9th, 2005, 07:08 PM

He can be a decent guy. Making no assumptions about character. I am saying that any review that can't get the Universe thing (or use our guide) is not really getting the true experiance. I would forgive it if the reviewer was a complete green, but this guy has installed Gentoo and knows what BSD is! This review is not very good.

compmodder26
June 9th, 2005, 07:09 PM
He can be a decent guy. Making no assumptions about character. I am saying that any review that can't get the Universe thing (or use our guide) is not really getting the true experiance. I would forgive it if the reviewer was a complete green, but this guy has installed Gentoo and knows what BSD is! This review is not very good.

Oh believe me, I think his review is complete crap too. I'm not disputing that.

compmodder26
June 9th, 2005, 07:35 PM

**Posted at linuxforums.org**

to all of those to incompetent to install/maintain ubuntu i would like to offer you a cup of stfu... seriously though if you can use gentoo but dont have the knowledge to enable universe in ubuntu you obviously have serious gaps in your knowledge.....

Did you just pay a visit to linuxforums.org?? ;-) :)

bored2k
June 9th, 2005, 08:13 PM
**Posted at linuxforums.org**

Did you just pay a visit to linuxforums.org?? ;-) :)
Complete coincidence. I have never seen linuxforums.org

CospeFogo
June 9th, 2005, 09:45 PM
Some of them are saying they don't like Ubuntu because it just works. There's no point arguing with that kind of Linux user, because they simply don't understand that some people don't wanna know how a unix-like system works, they just want an OS that works. Period. And that's why I chose Ubuntu for my desktop. I have an experimental box where I can experiment with other distros. But I want to get back home, turn my desktop pc on and have a nice and friendly OS (Ubuntu), which I can tweak if I need. So far, it's been working as it came.

gil-galad
June 9th, 2005, 10:22 PM
No way to exit X windows???
You have to kill gdm, just like EVERY other distro running gdm

And why do you have to exit X anyway? You can install the 3d drivers with apt and then restart.

Need su? Type in sudo su. :roll:

bmwboy
June 9th, 2005, 10:41 PM
you metioned suse? now that is a pain in the ass to install and use, same with damnsmalllinux
Plus suse has no help basically :\

pdk001
June 10th, 2005, 12:00 AM
i love it & i wish ubuntu forever