PDA

View Full Version : Looking for articles about open source (can't find).

RussianVodka
April 8th, 2007, 06:51 PM
I'm writing an argumentative essay for my writing class, and I can't find articles to cite for a few points that I'd like to make. I've googled them but they usually come up with blogs and wikipedia articles, which are no good. I need some better sources, at least a credible news agency like BBC, but preferably a peer reviewed publication.

Here are the points I want to make and need to find articles to back them up:

-Explain how and why the European Parliament is switching to open source software.

-Describe the reasons behind the French government supplying high school students with flash drives filled with open source alternatives to many popular proprietary software. (I found an article about this on InfoWorld, which I hope will be good enough).

-Explain why a province in India is migrating thousands of their school computers to open source software.

-Explain why use of open source software helps prevent piracy.

-------------------

I've read all these articles somewhere before, but I can't find them now for some reason.

josephus
April 8th, 2007, 11:34 PM
Sorry can't really do your homework for you. But it's not too hard to find what you are looking for on Google. Here's a hint: if you want sources from a particular agency such as the bbc then limit your search with the site option:

For example, this search term in google returns a number of good hits

open source software site:bbc.co.uk

But if you want primary sources rather than secondary sources like news agencies, then try limiting your results by specific government sites (e.g. site:parliament.uk).

---------------------

Explain why use of open source software helps prevent piracy

you've got to be kidding me right?

aysiu
April 9th, 2007, 12:34 AM
You can also try searching Google News. That's a good way to get actual news sources.

Nils Olav
April 9th, 2007, 01:44 AM
A lot of times Wikipedia articles cite their sources and give external links, try those.