PDA

View Full Version : Distributing Ubuntu in schools

dorcssa
April 8th, 2007, 03:27 PM
Hi everybody!

Yesterday, I had an idea, and thought I share it with the community, maybe you can help me too. :)

So, IMO with the upcoming release of feisty(which I'm very eager to finally try out), the users can use linux easier than ever. I thought I buy 25 CDs(from that, 5 would be Xubuntu), and try to marketing it in my school, with a poster I made. A friend of mine already offered to help and give 25 more CDs to his school. :D There's no point to put the CDs next to the poster, then some stupid guy take all of it, so we should give the CDs to a teacher, or to the porter, and tell him/her to give it to those who ask for it. I for example can give it to the operators at the computer room at my university,or to the porter, I'll ask around about it, but I'm sure there will be a solution. I'm uploading the poster in pdf format now, so you can give your opinions about it. Later everybody can change it(give it in .odt I think), according to the forum names, (I put it my email, you can put there your's), and of course translate it. It's already a translation, cos the original is in hungarian, I hope it's ok. The only problem is that we have to wait for the stabil realese. :D Oh, and if you find some mistake, please let me now. :)

%hMa@?b<C
April 8th, 2007, 03:30 PM
your school will allow you to have that 1/2 naked woman on your poster?

dorcssa
April 8th, 2007, 03:52 PM
Well, that was my friend's idea. You know, he's a guy, and think this way every guy will read it. :mrgreen: But it's a uni so I think there'll be no problem with it. And the text is more important, I can find something else to draw attention. :D

Dual Cortex
April 8th, 2007, 04:43 PM
Heh. That'll get their attention.

Stone123
April 8th, 2007, 04:55 PM
your school will allow you to have that 1/2 naked woman on your poster?

They are from hungary , largets pr0n exports.

slimdog360
April 8th, 2007, 05:00 PM
There is too much writing on the second page... annnnd the firstpage...well...what was it about again, I was distracted.

dorcssa
April 8th, 2007, 05:06 PM
The first one is to draw attention, and when you've got interested, you can read the information. I thought that the text would be too much, but I must wrote down some useful things.

Falconix
April 8th, 2007, 05:23 PM
Hey, I think your act is very nice. but i don't like the Poster/flyer, If some one is going to take that seriously you must remove the babe on the first page. And the information about ubuntu is way to much information for someone who just gonna see the poster on a wall, skip all the tech talk about requirements and stuff.

Instead you could include a flyer with the CD which they can read.

I have made a layout sketch in Scribus which people will recognize when they visit ubuntu.com

Be free to use it and change it if you want.

oupps i forgot to include the Ubuntu logo, but you will see image frame in the left upper corner there is where
the Ubuntu Logo could fit

califman831
April 8th, 2007, 05:35 PM
If you could set up a demo pc that would be a good tool to get people to actually try ubuntu. You can then do a Q&A while they play with the O.S..

dorcssa
April 8th, 2007, 05:40 PM
Which program do I need so I can read this format? To put information next to the CD is a very good idea by the way.

edit: Well, the demo pc is a bigger thing than give some CDs, and I don't think that they allow me to use a pc at the uni for this. But maybe somebody can arrange it with his/her school.

califman831
April 8th, 2007, 05:49 PM
Which program do I need so I can read this format? To put information next to the CD is a very good idea by the way.

Its supposed to be scribus, but it does not want to come up on my system.

edit: Well, the demo pc is a bigger thing than give some CDs, and I don't think that they allow me to use a pc at the uni for this. But maybe somebody can arrange it with his/her school.

I was thinking more along the lines of a laptop with ubuntu, something easy to set during the lunch hour.

dorcssa
April 8th, 2007, 05:53 PM
Well, I don't have a laptop. :( But I consider this laptop thing, as a friend of mine have a laptop, and seems that he willing to install ubuntu on it.

edit: I installed scribus, but it says, that the xxx.sla is not in scribus format.

didijeeeke
April 8th, 2007, 06:05 PM
This is so wrong.

If you want to convince a school/it person to use linux you got to show it is a professional serious operating system.But cheaper(free) then windows and much more stable and bla bla.

This is not by putting a naked woman on a poster (okay she is not naked but half naked ). In life all that matters is the first impression a person gets when your trying to sell a product.

Also don't tell a school to use ubuntu there is edubuntu. Edubuntu is a perfect operating system for smaller schools. IT managers will love the LTSP integration it saves time and money.

If the school is a bigger school you can try to get then use ubuntu. But then you need to explain how to create a ldap central login database and NFS network home drives. Not that hard but a linux newbie IT person wil stick to windows for the domain logon reason if you don't explain how to do this with ubuntu.

A letter is a good start but it is only the begin you need to learn people how to use it and show people how to use it and keep asking people to use ubuntu.

A good trick i learn to convince people is simply asking why they use windows.
Most of the time they don't have any good reason why they use windows. If they have a reason to use windows most of the time i have a linux alternative in mind.

califman831
April 8th, 2007, 06:16 PM
Could u attach the original file, not the pdf unless some out there knows of a good pdf editor for ubuntu. Definately dump the nice looking babe on the poster and replace with tux, so you won't offend the female students at school. You could save some money by having Canonical send you a bunch of ubuntu cds to give out. I'm not sure if they will ship to your country.

https://shipit.ubuntu.com/

daynah
April 8th, 2007, 06:27 PM
Ubuntu already has a problem of being associated with pr0n. ;) Help us fix that, please.

Also, the OS being free also takes away it's credibility (as does running around naked).

We're working towards being having a great, rep. Credibility. And every little marketing thing we have like this puts said rep on the line. Think of it like an interview. If you were a a hot babe, would you go in for an interview acting like a promiscuous female, scantily dressed? It may get you the job, but not for the right people.

Also, what kind of school is it? If it's a public school, K-12, there are a lot of people putting pressure to stop schools from allowing advertising (yup even those coke machines) in your schools. In fact, I'm one of them. I think you're too impressionable, and I think any company that's going to stoop so low to advertise to children when they're too young to know any better or teens when they're so hormonal they just act like sheep is an immoral company.

And that's not Canonical, that's not Ubuntu, and I know that's not you; I know you don't want to do this with any malintent. But many people will view this as Canonical stooping low.

If it's at a college, it's not seen as such, just as another annoying advertisement on campus. ;) By that age, college kids should be able to know better than to follow the crowd. We don't, but that's the point of college.

If you're in college, I think a better plan for linux advertising is grab togethr your linux friends and make a linux club/support group. Not only will you do your linux talking, but you would offer technical support for new users of linux on campus. Some people don't use linux because they're afraid of lack of "real people" support. So you, who understands that the people on the forums don't answer unless they know the answer, can google and search the answer and fix it for them. Out of absolute good will, ubuntu, whatever... free computer support as long as it's linux, and as long as they join the club (higher membership gets more school funds). Being friendly, which linux is seen as cold, unforgiving, and lonely, I think advertises linux better than any flyer ever could.

dorcssa
April 8th, 2007, 06:30 PM
didijeeeke: You've got me wrong, I don't want to advertise it to schools, but for students, in my example, to university students. And I don't need to convince my school to use linux, they already using it, because the it students have to learn it, so every pc in the pc room have linux, of course they have windows too. Maybe the girl was not a good idea, but it was not my idea in the first place. I should put tux in there, I don't know, april 19th is not soo close, so until then we can develop this idea to be better. I still think that the information page is required, because the won't take the CDs when they know nothing about it.

califman831: But shipit only offer dapper, and I want to use feisty. My friend said he can offer 50 CD for the cause, and it's not too expensive. A CD cost about 50-60Ft, which is approx. 30 cent.

daynah: I'm not in college, I'm living at home, but go to a university. And I don't have linux friends at school, since everybody is using windows, and afraid of linux.
And about the OS being free...so Linux should cost some money?, because that's not the linux way, I think.

Falconix
April 8th, 2007, 08:48 PM
Hey try this Scribus file. it's working on my both computers, even in windows.

And as usually you are free to use and change the file.

califman831
April 8th, 2007, 10:24 PM
I love the support group idea. This way students will not feel like they are struggling to learn something new by themselves but rather in a collective effort. The flyer/gift idea is also good, but at its current stage needs revising. It should be answering some simple questions.

1. How will this help me as a student?
2, How much will it cost?
3. Is there any support?
4. Why Xubuntu/Ubuntu Linux

Stay away from techical jargon as much as possible and replace with terms more appealing to non-techs.

didijeeeke
April 10th, 2007, 01:01 PM
didijeeeke: You've got me wrong, I don't want to advertise it to schools, but for students, in my example, to university students. And I don't need to convince my school to use linux, they already using it, because the it students have to learn it, so every pc in the pc room have linux, of course they have windows too. Maybe the girl was not a good idea, but it was not my idea in the first place. I should put tux in there, I don't know, april 19th is not soo close, so until then we can develop this idea to be better. I still think that the information page is required, because the won't take the CDs when they know nothing about it.

califman831: But shipit only offer dapper, and I want to use feisty. My friend said he can offer 50 CD for the cause, and it's not too expensive. A CD cost about 50-60Ft, which is approx. 30 cent.

daynah: I'm not in college, I'm living at home, but go to a university. And I don't have linux friends at school, since everybody is using windows, and afraid of linux.
And about the OS being free...so Linux should cost some money?, because that's not the linux way, I think.

I'm sorry i got you wrong
Also i am sorry because i was in a bad mood when wrote my message, i was way to negative to you. I am very happy that people like you try to bring the words of ubuntu to other people on this planet and not just to pc geeks. Linux is no longer a geeky system but it has become the operating system of the future.

Bartender
April 10th, 2007, 01:59 PM
An emaciated woman in a push-up bra. The image is disturbing rather than sensual or attractive. Dump the prison camp refugee.