PDA

View Full Version : Installing perl Module

cascader
April 8th, 2007, 11:08 AM
Would anyone like to give me advice on installing perl modules, specifically String::Tokenize but really any module installation help would be appreciated ?

There is something about this seemingly easy process of installation that I am missing.

Yes, I have done the googling, man-paging, trying to get cpan to do its thing, updated all my repositories (as one post suggested I do, didn't make any difference).

r00tintheb0x
April 8th, 2007, 11:10 AM
Installing perl modules for what, apache?

r00tintheb0x
April 8th, 2007, 11:11 AM
aah you mean like this

http://search.cpan.org/dist/String-Tokenizer/lib/String/Tokenizer.pm

cascader
April 8th, 2007, 11:22 AM
Thanks once again r00 (nothing to do with an Australian kangaroo ?)

Look, I guess I am pretty new to this forum thing, what I am trying to do is to install the module for getting String::Tokenizer onto my computer so that I can program in perl, building a little app for my own personal use . . . (so far). So just basically getting it installed on my system, Edgy Eft. I have been to the page you suggested, and I believe that I have programmed my code properly according to the described txt, but I can't as yet test it.

I would rather tokenise a string (ordinary text, read from txt file, line at a time, put into array) without the use of a module but I am not as proficient in perl as I am in other areas . . .

thanks

r00tintheb0x
April 8th, 2007, 11:25 AM
Im no programmer but check this out http://www.monodevelop.com/Main_Page

cascader
April 8th, 2007, 11:40 AM
Yes, I am very interested in the mono project. What, have you got any ideas ? I like the way that they are getting closer to invading the Windows hemisphere by .net compatibility. I have all the modules and the IDE installed so once my perl project is out of the way it might be time for a cup of mono.

Very OT, I know, better get back to trying to dig up module install info. Thanks r00 . . .

cascader
April 8th, 2007, 12:25 PM
Alright, what I didn't do was search these posts first. So hopefully a lesson learnt.

Am following post here (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=158268&highlight=module+perl), currently running sudo perl -MCPAN -e shell as suggested.
Thanks

tr333
April 9th, 2007, 11:36 AM
you should be able to just run "sudo cpan" to start the cpan shell.
after the config has been setup for the first time, type "install String::Tokenizer" at the cpan shell prompt.
type "exit" to quit from the cpan shell.

cascader
April 9th, 2007, 02:05 PM
Alright, thanks tr333, just as I was researching this next step. Am appreciating the benefits of forum cruising as a source of shared problems . . . I'm not alone, ;-)

cascader
April 29th, 2007, 04:18 AM
Just posting an update, in case anyone here has a similar problem . . .

My initial problem was that I could not seem to tokenize white space delimited strings.

Sounds easy, doesn't it. I have had a bit of experience writing perl scripts, but for some reason have not come across this problem. Well, I have finally abandoned the idea of using a module and fallen back on a simple regex . . . der, I know, but we all have to find out these things the hard way . . .

Anyways, for posterity . . .
# Line Tokeniser reaped from:
# Doran Barton pluglist at plug.org
# Wed Nov 3 13:00:38 MST 2004
$line =~ s/\\ /\t/g;
@tokens = split / /, $line;