PDA

View Full Version : Good DJ Mixing Beat Matching Program

drworm01
April 8th, 2007, 02:06 AM
Does anyone have any suggestions for a DJ program like MixMeister or Tracktor for Ubuntu? I tried Mixxx on Dapper and it crashed my computer. I've cleaned my system and upgraded to Edgy, but I'm still a little gunshy of Mixxx (my system also might not be robust enough to run it-1.GHz processor, 256 MB RAM). Is there another mixing program folks would recommend or at least a small beat counter/finder so I could at least get a list of my songs' BPMs?
Many thanks.

%hMa@?b<C
April 8th, 2007, 02:07 AM
Does anyone have any suggestions for a DJ program like MixMeister or Tracktor for Ubuntu? I tried Mixxx on Dapper and it crashed my computer. I've cleaned my system and upgraded to Edgy, but I'm still a little gunshy of Mixxx (my system also might not be robust enough to run it-1.GHz processor, 256 MB RAM). Is there another mixing program folks would recommend or at least a small beat counter/finder so I could at least get a list of my songs' BPMs?
Many thanks.

is audacity what you are looking for?

drworm01
April 8th, 2007, 03:51 AM
No though Audacity's a great sound editor that I use as part of my job. I'd probably use that to fine tune a mix (if it worked on Ubuntu without so many problems). What I'm looking for something closer to an actual DJ'ing program that allows to drop in and cross-fade tracks in realtime or at least something that'll scan through your music library, detect the beats-per-minute of each song and let you sort by BPM. That's really the big thing. If I had a BPM calculator I could mess around in Audacity or just by playing the tracks to find a sequence I liked.
Also, if someone could provide a fix for the "Audio I/O Error" in Audacity that's better than "restart and don't let anything access your sound card except Audacity," I could get rid of XP altogether and really improve my computer experience.

claypole
May 16th, 2007, 11:44 AM
Check out Ubuntu Studio (www.ubuntustudio.com) which has just been released and I installed last night, I haven't had a chance to work out which apps do what best but this looks like the right route, as I am trying to do the same thing. Let me know how you get on and I will post additional info as I find it also.

forrestcupp
May 16th, 2007, 02:27 PM
In Windows I used a program called Acid. It even transposed all of the samples into whatever key your project is in. I have been searching for something like this too, and I haven't found anything yet.

Chrisj303
May 17th, 2007, 07:39 AM
Ableton live - MacOSX/Windows only.

soapytheclown
May 17th, 2007, 08:13 AM
what he is talking about is a program similar to virtual dj for windows, nothing to do with music production literally to "DJ" ie mix his tracks together

i recently got a usb mixer so i can use my cdj's and my laptop (plus external hdd) anywhere and have an abundance of music available to me, since ubuntu doesnt like my compaq v6000 virtual dj is fine for me but my brother is still looking for a godo mixing program for his. Mixx on ubuntu studio works, but i dont like it, it doesnt have the same flexablility as vdj.

if i find anything better (and there looks to be many out there except their project page are dead!!) then i will let you know

23meg
May 17th, 2007, 10:28 AM
Check out GDAM and Mixxx. More here:

http://www.linux-sound.org/

WarrenSH
July 20th, 2010, 10:24 AM
Check out GDAM and Mixxx. More here:

http://www.linux-sound.org/

Great website full of good info!

NightwishFan
July 20th, 2010, 10:30 AM
I have used Mixx before.

lisati
July 20th, 2010, 10:32 AM
Ashes to ashes, dust to dust.....

May this three year old thread rest in peace.