PDA

View Full Version : Just wondering

Compucore
April 7th, 2007, 10:01 PM
Hi All,

I was curius to find out here. I have on my current laptop a wireless connection on it. And it is working fine and dandy. I had notices when accesing a particular program called Wifi- radar. That there are a couple of wifi close to my current location where the laptop is at. I can only imagine that they are one of the people living in either a apartment or in a duplex. And two of the three have their Wap locked which is good sign that they need special access to enter into that particular network. Now I do not want to do anything illegal at all here. But there is one that is wide open to actually login into their local network. I don't want to access their things. But I do want to warn them about their ssid is not locked at on it. And I just wanted to send them a text message of some sort to let them know they should keep tighter securityon their wifi connection. Is there a way to do that without being a trouble maker. SInce I do not want to get into trouble or do something that I they think is a bad thing but just to let them know that they should be more carefull about their own wifi. I can create a conntection to it if I wanted to right now. But I am hesitant to do so right now. I don't want to look like the bad guy on this only to show them that they should be more deligant about things like this.

What do you guys and gals think??

Compucore

defyingthenorm
April 7th, 2007, 11:23 PM
Leave it alone; they've left it unencrypted either because of laziness, ignorancre, or on purpose. Sending a message by logging into their network will, no matter what you do, make you look like the bad guy.

They will figure it out.

teet
April 7th, 2007, 11:33 PM
"But there is one that is wide open to actually login into their local network"

You can't actually browse their filesystem can you (e.g. as you could with old windows 98 machines)? I'm assuming you can just connect and use their internet connection?

If so, I would just leave it alone. Either that or just go ahead and cancel your service and leech off of them (ha!).

-teet

Compucore
April 7th, 2007, 11:51 PM
Yeah like I had said I was thinking about it. But it is better off alone and not touching it. I guess I am just playing with caution here. I have set up a fair amount of computers and small networks learnt with certain companies they have a particular way of setting things up. And when it comes to wifi conntection. (Had seena few articles on the local television shows that had articles about them. I think it was W5 from CTV.com that had something about that I think.) That most of the time when you see something like this its just asking for trouble when you don't encrypt your connection. And makes it easier for others to leech off of your network. Or get access to certain documents that are meant for internal or private use only.

For myself over here. I am behind a firewall and all that and know that I am protected to a good extent. But you never know what will happen until something dails and only realized afterwards that it should have been fixed. It takes only one time to really wreak havoc on things like this.

Thanks for the feedback about this.guys. :)

Compucore