PDA

View Full Version : Ubuntu Marketing / Usability

Stex
April 7th, 2007, 01:33 AM
I was looking at the Ubuntu download page and felt a little dismayed that the only options were download (fast connections only), wait 6 weeks for an old version or buy (and still wait for delivery). It doesn't affect me and my broadband but those with dial up must feel a bit cheated that they basically get the option between an inferior system and forking out time and money. Why not try to make deals with large chains to stock Ubuntu CDs, and then let other stores follow?

In exchange for keeping the sale price under, say, $3 you give the stores free/no profit CDs. Ubuntu gets to add "... or just pick up a CD for less than $3 at your local ____" to the download options and the store gets a low-risk, quite possibly high income, deal. What computer store wouldn't want free, targeted, advertising and the opportunity to lure computer geeks to their store? Especially if they want a new operating system, aka probably have a new/upgrading an old computer that could use new accessories.

What do you think? Obviously just a dreamers idea but I don't see why it wouldn't work with the right sales pitch.

bruenig
April 7th, 2007, 03:17 AM
Feisty, which comes out april 19th will be shipped so kind of defeats the purpose now. But also, ubuntu is upgradable, so they could get dapper and then upgrade it to edgy with relative ease.

boredandblogging.com
April 7th, 2007, 06:02 PM
How about $1.99? http://shop.cheapbytes.com/cgi-bin/cart/os2.html?var_distribution=Ubuntu