PDA

View Full Version : Which one yous prefer: Dapper or Edgy/Feisty login/logout sounds?

Castar
April 6th, 2007, 11:59 PM
Dapper all the way! It's way more imposing than Edgy's "happy" theme.

spinflick
April 7th, 2007, 12:12 AM
This is a wind-up post right? :lolflag:

r3m0t
April 7th, 2007, 12:18 AM
Gee, if only I could hear them - I'm on Feisty now!

yabbadabbadont
April 7th, 2007, 12:33 AM
One of the first things I do after install is to disable all of the annoying sounds no matter which OS I happen to be using...

Castar
April 7th, 2007, 01:35 AM
Actually, I meant the startup and ending sounds. The in-session sounds are really nice and common between Dapper and Edgy.

yabbadabbadont
April 7th, 2007, 01:43 AM
Actually, I meant the startup and ending sounds. The in-session sounds are really nice and common between Dapper and Edgy.

The startup and ending sounds to which you refer, only exist if you use a graphical login manager (I don't). When I do use one, I disable those sounds too.

Castar
April 7th, 2007, 01:48 AM
The startup and ending sounds to which you refer, only exist if you use a graphical login manager (I don't). When I do use one, I disable those sounds too.

So I guess we know what you've voted for! :)

yabbadabbadont
April 7th, 2007, 01:51 AM
So I guess we know what you've voted for! :)

:D

The only startup/shutdown sounds I've every really liked are the ones used by Knoppix. I would love to know what that woman looks like.

reacocard
April 7th, 2007, 02:13 AM
I liked the old edgy sounds, before they shortened them. Now it doesn't matter though, as I no longer use GNOME.

SishGupta
April 7th, 2007, 11:48 AM
I am not really a fan of the opening noise for ubuntu.

I catch my self drumming along as i log in, but i feel like i should be using a friggin OLPC in africa instead of a core 2 duo in Canada because of the sound.

I'm just saying it would be nice to get something a little more modern.

RandomJoe
April 7th, 2007, 02:17 PM
I also shut off both startup and shutdown sounds as soon as I'm done installing. Do it to Windows, as well, at work. "Silence is golden!" If my computer is making noise at me, it better be for a really good reason! :)

Castar
April 7th, 2007, 07:26 PM
I am not really a fan of the opening noise for ubuntu.

I catch my self drumming along as i log in, but i feel like i should be using a friggin OLPC in africa instead of a core 2 duo in Canada because of the sound.

I'm just saying it would be nice to get something a little more modern.

Yes, but it gives such a special character to Ubuntu! Basically, it's the combination of brown colour and these sounds that really gripped me initially in Ubuntu as it was something so different and refreshing! It kind of encompasses the ubuntu spirit along with the african/human theme.

daynah
April 7th, 2007, 07:33 PM
I liked Breezy's!

vf514
April 7th, 2007, 07:35 PM
The African drum intro is a bit much for me. I much prefer XP's piano.

yabbadabbadont
April 7th, 2007, 07:36 PM
Yes, but it gives such a special character to Ubuntu! Basically, it's the combination of brown colour and these sounds that really gripped me initially in Ubuntu as it was something so different and refreshing! It kind of encompasses the ubuntu spirit along with the african/human theme.

Perhaps they should use the "brown note" as one of the system sounds? Maybe for critical error. :twisted:

Sammi
April 7th, 2007, 07:48 PM
Logon/startup sounds are completely useless and should never be implemented by default. It's just pointless irritating noise. GET RID OF IT!

yabbadabbadont
April 7th, 2007, 08:12 PM
@Sammi: Wow, I just looked up your location. Talk about cold and small. Is it still winter there? My hometown is almost as large as your country... (bigger if you include the suburbs :))

Sammi
April 8th, 2007, 03:09 PM
Hehehe. Only 45.000 souls up here on these windy rocks. 18.000 in the capital where I live. Thank god we have broadband internet here :D

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Faroe_islands#Climate

Climate
The Faroe Islands generally have cool summers and mild winters, with a usually overcast sky and frequent fog (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fog) and heavy winds (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wind). The fog often causes delays of aeroplanes. The islands are rugged and rocky with some low peaks; the coasts are mostly bordered by cliffs. The highest point is Slęttaratindur (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sl%C3%A6ttaratindur), 882 metres (2,894 ft (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Foot_%28unit_of_length%29)) above sea level.There are areas below sea level.

weekend warrior
April 8th, 2007, 03:39 PM
The only startup sound I've ever enjoyed is on the latest PCLinuxOS when logging on as root - a snippet from "Oh Yeah" by Yello.... pure class 8-)

Those of us from the 80's remember that one instantly.... ooooohhhh yeeeahhh :mrgreen:

Edit: For you youngsters who don't remember the 80's (yeah you know who you are) ;) here's a RealMedia sample of Oh Yeah (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Stella-Yello/dp/B000001F9R/ref=sr_1_16/202-1772096-8723812?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1176046641&sr=1-16) over on Amazon. Not bad eh?

macogw
April 9th, 2007, 05:23 AM
I liked Dapper's twinkly startup sound a lot. I don't like the clicky one in Edgy and Feisty. By the way, shouldn't Feisty be getting new sounds? I thought every release had new sounds and art.

McLogic
May 3rd, 2007, 07:07 AM
Yes, but it gives such a special character to Ubuntu! Basically, it's the combination of brown colour and these sounds that really gripped me initially in Ubuntu as it was something so different and refreshing! It kind of encompasses the Ubuntu spirit along with the African/human theme.

Yes -- drums all the way, it is awake and ready to go. I don't think the base would work in the little speakers of the OLPC (base is not a priority). It lets you know that it is different, and it works together with the visuals. It feels finished.

I think that IBM was big blue, then Microsoft was baby-blue. Ubuntu wants to be something else, still big money, but in earth tones. I don't like the bells as much; it sounds like a shutdown/sleep sound.

fuscia
May 3rd, 2007, 08:04 AM
i don't want to feel like i've walked into the lion exhibit at the zoo, so i pretty much dump the system sounds right away. the only one i like is the broken glass one in kde.

brodiepearce
May 6th, 2007, 02:38 AM
I prefer the Feisty login/logout sounds, sounds refreshing compared to those annoying electronic chime things that are used in Dapper.

Does anyone know if it's possible to get Dapper to use the Feisty sound effects? Feisty is too buggy and insecure for me so I had to stick with Dapper.

Castar
May 6th, 2007, 01:55 PM
You can check here (http://packages.ubuntulinux.org/cgi-bin/search_packages.pl?searchon=names&version=all&exact=1&keywords=ubuntu-sounds) for the sounds of all the releases.

I suppose you could install the sounds using dpkg, but I'm not confident that it will not affect the ubuntu-desktop metapackage.

skwishybug
May 6th, 2007, 05:16 PM
I've replaced my login/logout sounds with clips from 54-40 and Tragically Hip so I prefer none of the "system" sounds.