PDA

View Full Version : Webcam in Amsn in Feisty just worked, w00t!?

HumanAnarchist
April 6th, 2007, 11:30 PM
This is a good sign, go Feisty Fawn !

-ha-

SishGupta
April 7th, 2007, 11:44 AM
Yup! same, my logitech quickcam finally "just works" in feisty.
The drivers are built right into the kernel apparently

wishyjr
April 7th, 2007, 02:01 PM
thats cool!

FoolsGold
April 7th, 2007, 02:03 PM
Yup! same, my logitech quickcam finally "just works" in feisty.
The drivers are built right into the kernel apparently
Absolutely the same story here.

%hMa@?b<C
April 7th, 2007, 02:11 PM
doesnt quite work for me, but hey, I have a hacked one time use camera as my webcam, what should I expect? :lolflag:

migla
April 8th, 2007, 02:06 AM
doesnt quite work for me, but hey, I have a hacked one time use camera as my webcam, what should I expect? :lolflag:

Maybe your camera worked, but you weren't watching the messenger app, and being a one time use camera, it won't work anymore? ;)

%hMa@?b<C
April 8th, 2007, 02:08 AM
Maybe your camera worked, but you weren't watching the messenger app, and being a one time use camera, it won't work anymore? ;)

hacked for reusable. lol

Oblong_Cheese
April 22nd, 2007, 12:32 AM
Fiesty detects my webcam (Logitech Quickcam IM), loads the appropriate driver and creates the /dev/video0 device, yet aMSN tells me there are no appropriate devices installed when I try to configure the webcam.

The "configure webcam" dialogue says "Please connect first", but tells me the webcam extension is loaded and the capture extension -capture- is loaded.

Any ideas?

HumanAnarchist
April 22nd, 2007, 12:48 AM
I have had some troubles with loading the webcam in amsn, if some a flash program has used the cam, but nothing else. Check the amsn forums http://www.amsn-project.net/forums/ maybe you can find more luck there :)

Here's some info about my cam:

root@cartman:~# lsusb
Bus 005 Device 002: ID 041e:4036 Creative Technology, Ltd Webcam Live!/Live! Pro

this happens when I plug the camera in:

root@cartman:~# dmesg
[392563.461097] usb 5-1: USB disconnect, address 2
[392619.477805] usb 4-2.3: new full speed USB device using ehci_hcd and address 6
[392619.575124] usb 4-2.3: configuration #1 chosen from 1 choice
[392619.575317] ubuntu/media/gspcav1/gspca_core.c: USB SPCA5XX camera found.(ZC3XX)

-ha-

Oblong_Cheese
April 22nd, 2007, 01:15 AM
I think I may have narrowed the scope of the issue. It appears to be some kind of permissions / user / groups problem; the user account that I setup for myself during the installation is able to access and use the camera just fine in aMSN, but the second user account I created for my dad is apparently unable to.

I've added my dad's user account to the video group using gpasswd, but that hasn't solved the problem. No doubt the security systems in place behind Fiesty are far more complicated and in-depth than my knowledge.

Any pointers anyone?

Edit: Well it's definitely a permissions problem. I can use gqcam to view the webcam stream, but only if I prefix the command with sudo. Otherwise it says "/dev/video0 permission denied".

The video device:

wayne@wayne:~$ ls -lh /dev/ | grep video0
crw-rw---- 1 root video 81, 0 2007-04-22 10:08 video0

rw permissions for group, group video, as it should be

wayne@wayne:~$ cat /etc/group | grep vid
video:x:44:owen,wayne

And both user accounts (owen, the account created at installation) and my dads (wayne) are in the video group.

Searching my brain I can't think of anything else I would need to do to give my dad's account full 'access' to the video group. What have I missed?

HumanAnarchist
April 22nd, 2007, 01:24 AM
I'm not sure if this is the "correct" ubuntu way to do it, but it works for me.

It's under the philosophy that everything in Linux is a file :)

sudo vim /etc/group

and add your dad's account to those groups that you also are in, except those obviously your dad should not be in :)

-ha-

HumanAnarchist
April 22nd, 2007, 02:25 AM
Video group should be enough, but obviosly it isn't... could try with some other groups like audio, don't know if webcam need to use the audio group as well. Just a wild guess. I'm clueless now, sorry

-ha-

Marsan
April 22nd, 2007, 09:31 AM
Worked out of the box here too on my logitech quickcam! It doesent work properly with the small resolution though in aMsn.

my cam:

Bus 002 Device 004: ID 046d:08f0 Logitech, Inc. QuickCam Messenger

Cyfr
April 22nd, 2007, 09:46 AM
My quickcam zoom worked right away and so did my built in onboard one in my sony laptop!!

But the onboard one is awfull quality I dont think it was that bad in windows :p