PDA

View Full Version : Are You Feisty?

ebozzz
April 6th, 2007, 08:00 PM
Well, I am! During a period of boredom last night I decided to upgrade one of my existing Edgy boxes to Feisty. The process went so smoothly that I decided to complete the rest of my machines and began the task earlier this morning. There are two more finishing up.

So far I am really impressed. The upgrade was extremely slick although it is a little time consuming. All it took was one command line in the terminal to get the ball rolling. From that point on it was simply a matter of checking in occasionally to make sure that all was well. I actually started upgrading four machines at around the same time frame. All data and settings were retained. Very nice.

Networking and mounting Windows partitions should be a lot easier. Feisty also seems to run faster than Edgy. Maybe it's just my imagination but on the same machines, at least the ones that have been completed thus far, there is a noticeable difference in performance. They just appear to be more responsive. Clean installs that I have done sometimes have that effect but this was an upgrade. Hats off to the Ubuntu developers!

basketcase
April 7th, 2007, 12:52 AM
I hadn't heard it had been released yet.

I did load up the Beta back in February to test some hardware for MythTV group. From what little I saw, I am excited to see the completed version. It might find its way onto my notebook.

ebozzz
April 7th, 2007, 01:09 AM
I don't think that it has been officially released but if you run the following command in the terminal....

gksu "update-manager -c -d"

The update manager will start and you will get an output that states....

New distribution release 7.04 is available

and the option to upgrade. You have to actually type the command. It doesn't work if you paste it.

wesley_of_course
April 7th, 2007, 01:39 AM
Wesley here ;

http://www.ubuntu.com/news/Ubuntu704Beta

Enjoy !

ebozzz
April 7th, 2007, 01:40 PM
Hi Wesley,

I'm not sure that what I downloaded was the Beta version and basketcase had had already tried a Beta version back in February.