PDA

View Full Version : Do you use ntfs3g?

PryGuy
April 6th, 2007, 03:49 PM
Peace to all the site visitors! :)

I've got a question: do you use the ntfs3g NTFS driver? I personally do not know what I'd do without it. I've got a huge 200Gb partition that has all my data: movies, music, etc. I can't convert it to ext3 without data loss. So the only choice for me is ntfs3g. It's very stable and very useful! So, do you use it?

SendDerek
April 6th, 2007, 03:51 PM
Absolutly... it's a great tool!

You should add a poll to this thread!

PryGuy
April 6th, 2007, 03:52 PM
Done, mate! :)

Happy_Man
April 6th, 2007, 04:30 PM
Of course I do! It's the first thing I install!

mand0
April 6th, 2007, 04:38 PM
I use it and never had a problem.

aysiu
April 6th, 2007, 05:14 PM
I voted No, because I do not have NTFS partitions because that's the closest to my situation. I have an NTFS partition, but I don't need to access it, and if I did, read-only access would be fine.

DC@DR
April 6th, 2007, 05:25 PM
Definitely yes! :-)

karellen
April 6th, 2007, 05:25 PM
nope, because I use fat32 partitions to exchange data between windows and linux

Kalixa
April 6th, 2007, 05:57 PM
No, because I am too lazy. This also makes me in doubt on what to vote.

gh0st
April 6th, 2007, 06:06 PM
I voted yes. I don't have any NTFS partitions on my internal drives these days but I do still use ntfs-3g to read ad write an external USB disk. It has an inbuilt media player and needs NTFS to work so FAT32 isn't an option unfortunately.

I've been using it for over a year now and never really had a problem, it's a great tool.

I'm probably tempting fate by saying that though :)

...is that the sound of my hard disk dying?? ;)

Obor
April 6th, 2007, 06:10 PM
I voted No, because I do not have NTFS partitions because that's the closest to my situation. I have an NTFS partition, but I don't need to access it, and if I did, read-only access would be fine.

+1

Sunflower1970
April 6th, 2007, 06:42 PM
Same answer as aysiu here..

I voted "No, because I do not have NTFS partitions" because, although I do have one partition, I don't keep anything on it that I need to have access to any more.
I did try it out in January before I reformatted my Dell to have one small Windows partition while everything else was ext3.

SishGupta
April 6th, 2007, 09:43 PM
I use it on two machines that run ubuntu.

With out it I would not use linux 99% of the time on one of the machines. Thats just how useful it is to me.

Spike-X
April 7th, 2007, 05:22 AM
Yes. I have two internal NTFS-formatted HDs for data storage. That was the deal-breaker for me - without reliable NTFS read/write support, I would not have made the jump to Linux. I haven't had a problem with it since I installed Ubuntu a couple of months ago - files saved in Linux are accessible from Windows, and vice-versa.

Polygon
April 7th, 2007, 08:15 AM
i dont trust it. I am not going to spend half a day reinstalling windows + 50 gb of programs, games, game maps, etc etc just because i discover a bug that corrupts my ntfs volumes with this driver.

PryGuy
April 7th, 2007, 08:41 AM
What bug? Well, the only issue I know that is related to ntfs3g is that the files deleted on an NTFS volume do not appear in my Trash. But I do not think that it is ntfs3g developers fault.

zanglang
April 7th, 2007, 09:05 AM
Yes, because I still have my Windows NTFS partition left over before my Ubuntu switch last year, which I've decided not to get rid of yet until I'm sure I will never have a use for it again. Ntfs-3g's pretty decent, haven't had any read/write problems so far.

I'd recommend that you slowly migrate your data to a good Linux-native filesystem though, just in case. ;)

raja
April 7th, 2007, 09:09 AM
I have been using it for a couple of months on a very regular basis and have not had any problems so far. Highly recommended !

Kateikyoushi
April 7th, 2007, 09:21 AM
No, I do not have ntfs partitions on this notebook.

kelvin spratt
April 7th, 2007, 09:29 AM
yes i do could not do without it as i have 300gb of photos all on ntfs and being able to read and write to ntfs is what finally made me commit to linux and ubuntu