PDA

View Full Version : National Tatan Day(usa)

xpod
April 6th, 2007, 10:25 AM
After reading through the "Nationality thread" yesterday it was actually quite nice to see so many people on the forum with the Scottish ancestory.....

Now want i really want to know today is how many of our friends over the pond have donned their kilts today??

Americans of Scottish descent have played a vibrant and influential role in the development of the United States. From the framers of the Declaration of Independence to the first man on the moon, Scottish-Americans have contributed mightily to the fields of the arts, science, politics, law, and more. Today, over eleven million Americans claim Scottish and Scotch-Irish roots -- making them the eighth largest ethnic group in the United States. These are the people and accomplishments that are honored on National Tartan Day, April 6th.

From http://www.tartanday.org/history.htm.

Someone asked "does it matter" on the Nationality thread and all i wanted to scream was your damn right it matters....to me anyway?????:)
I`m extermely proud to be Scottish and always happy to "Declare" it.I was actually born in Arbroath mind you so thats my excuse:lolflag:.

Just allowing my two youngest girls to be born down here in Engalnd was a big thing for me and as shallow as that mabey sounds thats just the way it is and you would really need to be Scottish to understand it at all....

Anyway...... Enjoy your National Tartan Day over there folks.

xpod
April 6th, 2007, 02:12 PM
Now want i really want to know today is how many of our friends over the pond have donned their kilts today??

No-one admitting it then??:)
I couldn`t find my own kilt funnily enough but who needs one when you`ve got xtartan in the repos eh...

KaroSHiv0n
April 6th, 2007, 03:35 PM
never even heared of it. Although it does bring me the oppertunity to ask something that has always annoyed me. Why do people born im america, who have never been to say scotland, or ireland, and had family there, say 4-5 generations ago *insist* in claiming to be irish? they are NOT Irishi or Scottish and they insist they are, drink in irish bars and sing danny boy..i know its good to be proud of your ancestors..but that does not change where YOU are from. (im not aiming this at anyone, its just something i have observed and has always slightly irritated me)

xpod
April 6th, 2007, 04:34 PM
never even heared of it. Although it does bring me the oppertunity to ask something that has always annoyed me. Why do people born im america, who have never been to say scotland, or ireland, and had family there, say 4-5 generations ago *insist* in claiming to be irish? they are NOT Irishi or Scottish and they insist they are, drink in irish bars and sing danny boy..i know its good to be proud of your ancestors..but that does not change where YOU are from. (im not aiming this at anyone, its just something i have observed and has always slightly irritated me)
lol
Had never heard of it myself till i seen some article on the news this morning....:)
It`s not to hard to figure out why someone would rather declare themselves as Scottish as apose to American though is it??Would`nt you:lolflag:
Just joking ppl so dont take it to heart.

My 2 youngest girls were born down here in England which for many Scotsman would be something unthinkable...indeed i had to wrestle with the idea myself during many a sleepless night and even considered throwing the wife in the car when the labour pains began and at least getting back over the border :)

Of course it was the local hospital and not the M1 we headed to but if you ask my 2 little English girls what nationality they are guess what they`ll tell you ...:-\"

Anyway.....what about those kilts.Surely someone knows about it especially as theres soooooo many Scotsmen over there....lol

%hMa@?b<C
April 6th, 2007, 05:40 PM
my grandfather is scotish... I couldnt care less what I am.

xpod
April 6th, 2007, 08:04 PM
my grandfather is scottish... I couldnt care less what I am.

Did`nt you know.........that means your Scottish too m8 :wink:

%hMa@?b<C
April 7th, 2007, 02:11 AM
Did`nt you know.........that means your Scottish too m8 :wink:

I know, but I really dont celebrate any holidays based upon it, I dont eat haggis, and did not even know about this Tartan holiday until you told me.
Also, I have never been to scotland (all a part of the UK now, isnt it? so does that make you UK-ish?)

xpod
April 7th, 2007, 11:07 AM
I know, but I really dont celebrate any holidays based upon it, I dont eat haggis, and did not even know about this Tartan holiday until you told me.
Also, I have never been to scotland (all a part of the UK now, isnt it? so does that make you UK-ish?)

"UK-ish":shock: ...........That was a bit below the belt was it not??In fact,If i had mod privalages i`d have probably gave you an infraction for that:lolflag:
You should be made to eat a bit plate of haggis & neeps:) most folks would see that as a puishment anyway.

Joking aside though It is one of the things that confuse people most about the "UK" i suppose but then i`m still pretty sure that if you asked anyone over here where they came from they would`nt say "the UK"?.....mind you,some of the older generation down here in England might proclaim themselves as "Brittish" still i suppose?

Strangely enough, since emigrating down here to England myself some 7 years ago i actually feel all the more "Scottish".:)

Anyway tartan days gone so it`s happy Easter now eh :???:

Redache
April 7th, 2007, 11:19 AM
Calling someone from the UK "Uk-Ish" or "British" is a minefield of cultural implication.

I'm Welsh and European. I don't consider myself british or "Uk-ish" because I don't feel that British is a viable word anymore. My Culture is predominantly welsh, Welsh is my first language and due to that I have cultural division with england :P.

They did a poll recently and it showed that the use of the word british amongst the population to describe their cultural derivation had plummeted. Due to devolution more and more people see the division as a much larger hurdle to cross.

xpod
April 7th, 2007, 12:30 PM
Calling someone from the UK "Uk-Ish" or "British" is a minefield of cultural implication.

I'm Welsh and European. I don't consider myself british or "Uk-ish" because I don't feel that British is a viable word anymore. My Culture is predominantly welsh, Welsh is my first language and due to that I have cultural division with england :P.

They did a poll recently and it showed that the use of the word british amongst the population to describe their cultural derivation had plummeted. Due to devolution more and more people see the division as a much larger hurdle to cross.

Even prior to devolution you`d have been lucky to find any Scots,Welsh or Irishmen proclaiming themselves as "Brittish"...Some of the older English generation as i says but certainly none of the other 3.

spinflick
April 7th, 2007, 12:35 PM
lol

My 2 youngest girls were born down here in England which for many Scotsman would be something unthinkable...indeed i had to wrestle with the idea myself during many a sleepless night and even considered throwing the wife in the car when the labour pains began and at least getting back over the border :)

Of course it was the local hospital and not the M1 we headed to but if you ask my 2 little English girls what nationality they are guess what they`ll tell you ...:-\"

l

Seems living in London is not so unthinkable for you though. :-P

Swab
April 7th, 2007, 12:39 PM
Just allowing my two youngest girls to be born down here in Engalnd was a big thing for me and as shallow as that mabey sounds thats just the way it is and you would really need to be Scottish to understand it at all....

I couldn't care less where I was born..

I do love Scotland, but other countries are equally valid :)

Spr0k3t
April 7th, 2007, 04:52 PM
I was born in America... but I still wear my tartan and play the warpipes and declare myself as a Scotsman. My family still owns land in Scotland even though we've been in the states for four generations now. I have relatives that I've traveled to Scotland to visit with and vice versa. I've got hair as red as fire and eyes in the blue of woad. Not to mention, last few times I was o'er there, I bumped into a person who was the spitting image of myself.

Born an American... will die a Scotsman.

xpod
April 7th, 2007, 06:11 PM
Seems living in London is not so unthinkable for you though.

Of couse not m8,Londons great.......:-\"
The fact that 2 of my girls are actually English dosent bother me in the slightest and it`s just a bit of banter i once had to counter from English mates of mine down here and the best i could come up with was the "crossing back over the border for the birth nonsense".....i had the buggers believing me for long enough though:)

I couldn't care less where I was born..

I do love Scotland, but other countries are equally valid

Quite right :)

I was born in America... but I still wear my tartan and play the warpipes and declare myself as a Scotsman. My family still owns land in Scotland even though we've been in the states for four generations now. I have relatives that I've traveled to Scotland to visit with and vice versa. I've got hair as red as fire and eyes in the blue of woad. Not to mention, last few times I was o'er there, I bumped into a person who was the spitting image of myself.

Born an American... will die a Scotsman.

THATS more like it:mrgreen:
Your probably more Scottish than me by the sounds of it as i dont really wear tartan,cant play the bagpipes to save myself and contrary to what the avatar might indicate i dont actually have red hair either.:)

I do love a plate o haggis though:lolflag:

MrHorus
April 8th, 2007, 10:13 AM

Now *THAT* is what I call a dilemma :)

xpod
April 8th, 2007, 02:57 PM
Now *THAT* is what I call a dilemma

lol....Someone who understands:)
I was just up in Edinburgh myself a week or 2 ago visiting family and if i hadn`t been missing my Ubuntu so much i might not have come back.

Something i had to re-explain to the wife pretty hurridly mind you.
She says she`ll pack a live cd next time:-k

Anyway,we`re all off to the funfair so have an eggcellent easter ppl.