PDA

View Full Version : I want to play chess

Coop
April 6th, 2007, 06:33 AM
Hi everyone

I am interested in playing chess, but I do not know how.

I do not have a chess board, so I want to use a chess software.

I downloaded pouetChess from the official repos, but I don't know how to play chess.

I want to ask you to please give me some good websites that teach us how to play chess.

Also, what is the best chess software available for Ubuntu?

I have downloaded pouetChess, but I want to know if there is a better chess software available for Ubuntu.

Please answer me early.

I will highly appreciate your help.

tbroderick
April 6th, 2007, 06:45 AM
http://www.soyouwanna.com/site/syws/chess/chess.html

slimdog360
April 6th, 2007, 06:52 AM
its a great game once you get used to it.
When I learnt to play the only person that would play against me never let me win :(

Coop
April 6th, 2007, 06:53 AM
Thank you for the website.It is very good

Coop
April 6th, 2007, 06:55 AM
slimdog360 thank you for your comment

maniacmusician
April 6th, 2007, 07:01 AM
Try PyChess. (sudo apt-get install pychess)

eentonig
April 6th, 2007, 07:03 AM
Isn't there a chess client installed by default? What's wrong with that one?

Coop
April 6th, 2007, 07:30 AM
Actually I don't think there's a chess client installed by default, as I've never seen one before.

eentonig
April 6th, 2007, 07:32 AM
Then it's a Feisty thing, because I didn't install any games and I have chess available.

adam.tropics
April 6th, 2007, 07:34 AM
yeah it's new in feisty

maniacmusician
April 6th, 2007, 08:46 AM
A good KDE program for chess is Knights, with the "fruit" chess engine.

Floppyjoe
April 6th, 2007, 10:29 AM
If you like to play chess on the internet you don't need a program to play. You can use your browser at places like Gameknot.com or Chessworld.net. Also FICS(freechess.org). For FICS you need a java plugin for your browser or you can use a program to log on to the FICS(Free Internet Chess Server) server.

ComplexNumber
April 6th, 2007, 02:23 PM
Hi everyone

I am interested in playing chess, but I do not know how.

I do not have a chess board, so I want to use a chess software.

I downloaded pouetChess from the official repos, but I don't know how to play chess.

I want to ask you to please give me some good websites that teach us how to play chess.

Also, what is the best chess software available for Ubuntu?

I have downloaded pouetChess, but I want to know if there is a better chess software available for Ubuntu.

Please answer me early.

rather than internet sites, i can suggest to you several good books:

-"The Amateus Mind" by Jeremy Silman. when you've got past the basics, this is a really good and effective book because it changes the way you think about chess strategy and positional play because of the way in which it's written. it will instill good good playing habits early on.

-"Just the Facts - Winning endgame knowledge in one volume". believe it or not, the end game is one of the most difficult aspects of chess, and mastering it means you are half way there. the book is presented in easy to use format with lots of diagrams and such. even Capablanca would back me up on this :p

UbuWu
April 7th, 2007, 03:15 PM
PyChess (http://pychess.googlepages.com/) is very nice.

kiddo
April 7th, 2007, 03:42 PM
yeah, glchess is part of gnome 2.18 and is included per default in feisty fawn. I think they even included gnuchess for the computer artificial intelligence. You can even make the chessboard in 3D, but you need to install a few additional packages (last time I checked)

Coop
April 7th, 2007, 03:50 PM
Hi

Thank you everyone for your help.

ComplexNumber, thank you for suggesting those books.

I will try to find and read them.

PyChess is not in the official repos.

I have downloaded the PyChess stable release deb from gnomefiles.org.

But when I try to install it,this message appears: (please see attached screenshot).

Please tell me how to fix this problem.

Please answer me early.

banjobacon
April 7th, 2007, 07:38 PM
I have downloaded the PyChess stable release deb from gnomefiles.org.

But when I try to install it,this message appears: (please see attached screenshot).

Please tell me how to fix this problem.

Have you tried installing the package 'python-central' through Synaptic or apt-get?

galv
April 7th, 2007, 08:15 PM
Hi there,
I usually play chess online on http://gameknot.com

I like it :)

ComplexNumber
April 7th, 2007, 08:44 PM
Coop
the latest stable version of python-central is not up to date enough to run pychess, unfortunately.