PDA

View Full Version : /wubi/linux error 17

Zsedcft
April 6th, 2007, 06:02 AM
I installed wubi today, but when I select Ubuntu at the OS selection screen, it breaks at this line:
find --set-root /wubi/linux

and gives me error 17 cannot find file.

I checked the menu.lst file and everything matches up with the actual files. How would I go about fixing this?

myoldryn
April 6th, 2007, 06:20 AM
Do you tried to defragment your hard drive...
Error 17 means in most times, that the grub didn't find the kernel... kernel have to be in one piece..
Windows have this habit, to make hdd look like swiss cheese ... free space holes everywhere

ecology2007
April 6th, 2007, 07:25 PM
This is a known issue with grub, we are working on fixing it. It happens when the bootloader does not find the hard disk were wubi folder is. Try to move the wubi folder on your 1st partition.

Zsedcft
April 6th, 2007, 07:48 PM
Do you mean move it to a different location on the first partition or move it from one partition to the first partition? I only have one partition. Would RAID settings effect this at all?

ecology2007
April 6th, 2007, 08:18 PM
Do you mean move it to a different location on the first partition or move it from one partition to the first partition? I only have one partition. Would RAID settings effect this at all?

I meant to move it from a partition to another.
The boot mechanism does not mix well with RAID setups. Do you have one ?
If yes give us details.

Zsedcft
April 6th, 2007, 10:32 PM
I have 2+0 Stripe / RAID 0.

ecology2007
April 6th, 2007, 11:11 PM
Our bootloader Grub does not work with stripped RAID.

Zsedcft
April 7th, 2007, 12:34 AM
Roger that. Will it ever work sometime in the future?

ago
April 7th, 2007, 02:06 AM
We can only control the initrd section, but grub (grldr to be precise) has to load it up first. If grldr cannot see a drive for any reason (generally raid or fragmented kernel/initrd), there is little we can do. You can lobby the grldr developers though ;)

ecology2007
April 7th, 2007, 05:24 PM
We can only control the initrd section, but grub (grldr to be precise) has to load it up first. If grldr cannot see a drive for any reason (generally raid or fragmented kernel/initrd), there is little we can do. You can lobby the grldr developers though ;)

You can use contig for that, i thought using it at the end of install process, but the company who made it has been recently bought by MS :
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sysinternals/FileAndDisk/Contig.mspx

antoinel12
April 10th, 2007, 04:19 AM
It wasns't working for me, I had this error. I moved the menu.lst from /wubi/boot/ to my C:/ root. It worked for me and I after proceeded to the instalation. The only problem I have is that I can't boot Ubuntu due to a kernel panic but I had the same problem running from the live cd so it's not because of Wubi...

varchar255
April 14th, 2007, 10:55 PM
I installed wubi today, but when I select Ubuntu at the OS selection screen, it breaks at this line:
find --set-root /wubi/linux

and gives me error 17 cannot find file.

I checked the menu.lst file and everything matches up with the actual files. How would I go about fixing this?

I have this error as well. I have an ATA drive with two partitions and Wubi is installed on the second partition. I don't have room to try moving the Wubi folder to the primary partition (unless I resize first, but I'd rather not) so I cannot try ecology's suggestion. I don't have RAID or any other special setup either. Any ideas on how I can test this?

Thanks.

leftyfb
April 16th, 2007, 10:11 PM
Defragging helped me when I got the error.

varchar255
April 17th, 2007, 04:25 AM
I tried defragging but there was no effect (still got error 17). I also tried uncompressing the wubi folder (both of my two partitions are NTFS and the second partition uses the Windows compression) but that didn't help either. Any other ideas?

ecology2007
April 17th, 2007, 07:46 AM
It can be the compression thing. The grub bootloader has nothing specific to handle it.
You can make a copy of the wubi folder and copy it to your first partition, without the content of the disk folder if that takes too much space. Then tell us if you still have error 17.

varchar255
April 20th, 2007, 04:52 AM
It's working now, thanks everyone! Although I uncompressed the wubi folder, I forgot to uncompress the original ISO and I think that was the problem...but would the fact that the preseed.cfg file got erased mean the later reboots wouldn't run and I should have re-installed Wubi with every change I made, like uncompressing? In the end I uncompressed the ISO and ran a complete re-installation of Wubi and that time it worked (every other time I was just rebooting).

ago
April 20th, 2007, 08:31 AM
It's working now, thanks everyone! Although I uncompressed the wubi folder, I forgot to uncompress the original ISO and I think that was the problem...but would the fact that the preseed.cfg file got erased mean the later reboots wouldn't run and I should have re-installed Wubi with every change I made, like uncompressing? In the end I uncompressed the ISO and ran a complete re-installation of Wubi and that time it worked (every other time I was just rebooting).

preseed.cfg is removed at installation for security reasons, it is only used during installation, if the installation fails and you want to reinstall, just run wubi again and it will recreate a preseed.cfg file. If you do not want it deleted for any reason, copy it somewhere else before rebooting.