PDA

View Full Version : Choice of bittorrent client?

LookTJ
April 5th, 2007, 11:14 PM
What is your choice of a bittorrent client?

Mine is Opera because all I need to do is download the iso. I don't need extra features. My other choice is Ktorrent

So voting may begin!

ajeffreys
April 5th, 2007, 11:22 PM
Mine is azureus, which works very well and has lots of options :)

Nils Olav
April 5th, 2007, 11:24 PM
Azureus

WiseElben
April 5th, 2007, 11:27 PM
uTorrent with Wine. Works perfectly.

johnc4510
April 5th, 2007, 11:28 PM
Deluge, it's very simple yet intuitive. I've heard good things about Azureus, but never tried it.

RAV TUX
April 5th, 2007, 11:38 PM
I voted for the built in Bittorrent client in Opera, it is simply the best, but I have to admit that I am more impressed with Opera's built in IRC client...about a thousand times better then x-chat...konversation is the only stand alone client that comes close to quality....

With Opera's widgets, IRC chat, built in Bittorrent and it's built in ad blocker by default I constantly choose Opera over Firefox, X-chat, Azureus, etc

Alpha_toxic
April 5th, 2007, 11:57 PM
µTorrent + wine
and believe it or not, it still takes up less memory than Azureus...

FoolsGold
April 6th, 2007, 12:16 AM
µTorrent + wine
and believe it or not, it still takes up less memory than Azureus...
EVERYTHING takes up less memory than Azureus. :)

Then again, with 2GB I don't give a toss, so I use Azureus.

BarfBag
April 6th, 2007, 12:19 AM
I prefer KTorrent, but it's always had a locking up problem for me. Haven't tried it recently, though. I'm starting to hate Azureus. Too bloated.

sushii.
April 6th, 2007, 12:24 AM
BitLord under WINE.

kevinf311
April 6th, 2007, 12:34 AM
Gnome default for single files, Azureus for multiple torrents. That said, I think the only torrents I've gotten in the last year or so have been Linux distro iso torrents.

tbroderick
April 6th, 2007, 01:35 AM
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=387120

BrokeBody
April 6th, 2007, 01:36 AM
Azureus

userundefine
April 6th, 2007, 03:04 AM
I've basically been through them all and have settled on rtorrent. The less GUIs the better for me these days. And running Azureus headless is just crazy.

Ench
April 6th, 2007, 03:10 AM
Azureus :)

JohnSilver
April 6th, 2007, 03:20 AM
Azureus

Stew2
April 6th, 2007, 03:41 AM
Azureus... too bad you didn't put it on the poll :D

Regards,
Stew2

charlie85254
April 6th, 2007, 03:46 AM
Azureus because I don't personally have a problem with the memory usage...I have enough to cope with it.

LookTJ
April 6th, 2007, 03:54 AM

Mine is Opera because all I need to do is download the iso. I don't need extra features. My other choice is Ktorrent

So voting may begin!I changed my mind about Ktorrent, now I perfer Deluge.

ButteBlues
April 6th, 2007, 04:22 AM
uTorrent with Wine. Works perfectly.

3rdalbum
April 6th, 2007, 06:18 AM
gnome-btdownload. Why download more than one thing at a time?

ButteBlues
April 6th, 2007, 06:28 AM
gnome-btdownload. Why download more than one thing at a time?
Why not? ;)

beefcurry
April 6th, 2007, 08:55 AM
Azureus, does what it is ment to do, makes me happy.

CarpKing
April 6th, 2007, 05:09 PM
Deluge primarily, though I've been known to fire up Azureus from time to time if I'm in a hurry or there seems to be something wrong (usually only confirms that the problem is with my connection or the torrent itself).

vsandz
April 13th, 2007, 03:03 PM
Azureus for me ... it hogs memory but is the only one that can get past my uni firewall and fetch at

upto 1.5 MB/s :twisted:. (Thats after uTorrent, Bittorrent & Bittornado all failed to even connect.)

You really should have included Azureus & uTorrent in the poll IMO.

kragen
April 13th, 2007, 03:41 PM
Until recently I've sworn by rtorrent, but it doesn't seem to be as good as it used to recently.

I've had a play around with some other clients, and its hard to work out if the reason its slow is because of rtorrent itself or some setting on my router.

Anyway, its only command-line, but its (usually) fast and does everything I need.

Mateo
April 13th, 2007, 03:44 PM
Until recently I've sworn by rtorrent, but it doesn't seem to be as good as it used to recently.

I've had a play around with some other clients, and its hard to work out if the reason its slow is because of rtorrent itself or some setting on my router.

Anyway, its only command-line, but its (usually) fast and does everything I need.

i like rtorrent too... the only thing is that the developer is not what I would call a "nice guy". he's pretty much said he's not implementing any features that he himself doesn't use. and there are a few pretty standard features that rtorrent doesn't have. a feature as simple as queuing isn't in, and probably never will be. i wish someone would fork it.

axel-vpk
April 13th, 2007, 04:09 PM
Other: Azureus

tama
April 13th, 2007, 04:17 PM
bittornado curses interface on a screen session at home computer.
Do you know of any other client that I can easily remote control? To tell the truth, this btdowloadcurses gives little control, but I can still monitor it...

justin whitaker
April 13th, 2007, 04:26 PM
Deluge. Works better for me than Azureus.

ImmortalGrey
April 13th, 2007, 04:58 PM
Mine is azureus, which works very well and has lots of options :)

Yep, same here. Awesome client. :)

ubukool
April 13th, 2007, 05:03 PM
Even though my desktop is GNOME, I love ktorrent - it works wonderfully! =D>

I love the integrated search facility that it has. I tried Azureus, but couldn't really get along with it.

moore.bryan
April 13th, 2007, 05:09 PM
couple of questions for responders:
(1) why in the world would you use wine for a torrent program when there are so many excellent linux-native ones?
(2) why azureus? it is, by far, the most resource-heavy of all the listed clients, but doesn't have many more features, if any.

i was a bittornado-er until i found ktorrent is ridiculously faster on my machine.

Mateo
April 13th, 2007, 05:21 PM
couple of questions for responders:
(1) why in the world would you use wine for a torrent program when there are so many excellent linux-native ones?
(2) why azureus? it is, by far, the most resource-heavy of all the listed clients, but doesn't have many more features, if any.

i was a bittornado-er until i found ktorrent is ridiculously faster on my machine.

there aren't that many good linux bittorrent clients, that's the problem. That's why some people still use utorrent. Azureus, like you said, is resource-heavy (i mean, it has a splash screen. a splash screen for a torrent client?), even though it's features rival utorrent. the native client doesn't have very many features.

ktorrent might be good, but it has a lot of KDE dependencies, so it takes up a little bit too much harddrive space for my taste.

hopefully deluge continues to develop strongly and will be a great alternative.

moore.bryan
April 13th, 2007, 05:29 PM
thanks for the reply, mateo... your response leads to some more questions for you and the whole community:

how do we define "good bittornent client?" i mean, azureus is always touted as being able to "do the most," but what does that mean? what does one need a client to do other than download a torrent and, possibly, queue?

if we're talking features, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_BitTorrent_software is an excellent check.

matthinckley
April 13th, 2007, 05:38 PM
I use TorrentFlux on a seperate machine..

userundefine
April 13th, 2007, 06:09 PM
i like rtorrent too... the only thing is that the developer is not what I would call a "nice guy". he's pretty much said he's not implementing any features that he himself doesn't use. and there are a few pretty standard features that rtorrent doesn't have. a feature as simple as queuing isn't in, and probably never will be. i wish someone would fork it.
Yes I agree there. I've read some of the mailing list and he seems either too busy to implement new features or it doesn't appeal to him. A fork would be nice.

DC@DR
April 13th, 2007, 07:10 PM
I use Azureus 2.5.0.4 and I'm happy with it :-)

Quillz
April 13th, 2007, 07:24 PM
On Linux, I usually use Azureus or KTorrent. On Windows, I usually go with uTorrent, and on the Mac, Xtorrent is the way to go.

dedmonds
April 14th, 2007, 06:10 AM
Azureus

plb
April 22nd, 2007, 05:04 PM
azureus

PartisanEntity
April 22nd, 2007, 05:18 PM
Azureus

reacocard
April 22nd, 2007, 05:49 PM
Deluge

Hallvor
April 22nd, 2007, 05:51 PM
Bittornado.

ceil420
April 22nd, 2007, 05:58 PM
BitTornado. I tried Azureus once in Windows a good while back (I'm shite with time references; "a while" is 2-4 years, even I don't know exactly), and hated it. I like being able to set a separate destination folder for each torrent.

energiya
April 22nd, 2007, 06:09 PM
µTorrent + wine

mech7
April 22nd, 2007, 06:12 PM
Deluge as it looks like uTorrent.. which is still better :p

gorkur
April 22nd, 2007, 06:38 PM
qBittorrent on Ubuntu, µTorrent on Winblows... no scrap that as I don't really use Windows any more :?

futz
April 22nd, 2007, 07:30 PM
Azureus.

dnns
April 23rd, 2007, 06:10 PM
Used to be Azureus (in Windows, followed by uTorrent) and in Ubuntu at first back to Azureus, but now l'm liking the low memory footprint of Deluge.

mustang
April 23rd, 2007, 06:31 PM
Deluge

Pobega
April 23rd, 2007, 06:52 PM
rTorrent and/or btdownloadcurses.

Spr0k3t
April 23rd, 2007, 07:22 PM
Deluge... awesome client

unnes
April 24th, 2007, 12:45 PM
I've been using Azureus for a while, but I'm getting quite sick of its memory requirements. Are there any other good alternatives that support DHT? I hop on a lot of old torrents, and that's the one thing that's made me stick to Azureus for so long. I'm giving Deluge a try now.

tomcheng76
April 24th, 2007, 01:05 PM
Azeurus and
utorrent under wine
I like Azeurus but sometimes it just stuck for some local torrent
for oversea torrent, it works great

hoagie
April 24th, 2007, 01:16 PM
Deluge is my favorite.
Simple and powerful

AndyCooll
April 24th, 2007, 01:17 PM
Azureus

:cool:

nphx
April 25th, 2007, 06:21 AM
Transmission is the best torrent client, period.
http://transmission.m0k.org

dowload the deb packages:

Feisty Fawn:
http://ubuntuforums.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=30758&d=1177478254

Edgy Eft:
http://transmission.m0k.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1506

calvinpriest
April 25th, 2007, 06:29 AM
Deluge

nexx
April 25th, 2007, 06:32 AM
I use qbittorent

LookTJ
April 25th, 2007, 07:24 AM
I now support rtorrent. It's a command line bittorrent client

mozetti
April 25th, 2007, 09:36 AM
Azureus

graabein
April 25th, 2007, 10:16 AM
Azureus +1. I'll look at the other none KDE alternatives sooner or later.

gnomeuser
April 25th, 2007, 02:09 PM
The one we ship by default is horrible, Deluge is unusable (crashes, is slow, fails to upload on certain trackers, immature backend, flawed frontend). Azureus is functionally overloaded, the default client should be easy to use and to the point, Azureus is neither, in addition to being a resource hog and buggy, it is however well supported (except the gcj compiled version which is banned on certain trackers).

I'd vote for something like the MonoTorrent client, it's very resource effective, the UI that's being worked on is similar to utorrent but can be replaced easily.

Still MonoTorrent is ready for prime time I admit I rather like the official client (4.4.x not the one we ship currently) or Transmission (this one however is poorly supported on a number of trackers, upstream also seems a tad dead in terms of taking bugs).

Iceni
April 25th, 2007, 02:20 PM
Azureus.

jclmusic
April 25th, 2007, 02:49 PM
i use azureus.

got_nix
April 25th, 2007, 03:19 PM
hmm.. rtorrent. I"ll be sure to check that out.. never heard of it.

Um i use torrentflux.. web based.. seeing that i gotta use php mysql and apache for work.. i figured why not use that..

i have delgue setup.. but it needs work.. its nice.. very nice.. but it needs work..

once the app is open if you double click a torrent file it will nto open in deluge (even after file type associations has been set).. you gotta add the file manually.. deluge also easily gets currupted.. the conf files.. many times have i had to remove my config files and make deluge create a new. one.. which removes all the torrents that iw as downloading so i gotta re add em.. (by manually adding each with the add torrent button).. see where i'm going.. deluge.. is a beautiful app and i give the kid that created it mad probs.. was reading about it from it was just in deveopment.. but.. until those things are fixed i will not use it ne more.. torrentflux gets my attention for now

unnes
April 25th, 2007, 04:19 PM
I tried Deluge for a couple days, but as much as I loved the memory footprint and DHT support, I found it unusable. If I could connect to a tracker in the first place, I would get very poor speeds (~2-3KBps on a 10mbps cable line) on well-seeded torrents.

I just installed qBittorrent, hopefully that will be the alternative to Azureus I've been looking for.

zachtib
April 25th, 2007, 04:43 PM
I tried Deluge for a couple days, but as much as I loved the memory footprint and DHT support, I found it unusable. If I could connect to a tracker in the first place, I would get very poor speeds (~2-3KBps on a 10mbps cable line) on well-seeded torrents.

It's possible that your ISP is throttling torrent traffic. in that case, you'll have to run Deluge on a different port, and open those ports on your router.

unnes
April 25th, 2007, 05:18 PM
It's possible that your ISP is throttling torrent traffic. in that case, you'll have to run Deluge on a different port, and open those ports on your router.

My ISP doesn't throttle torrents (thankfully). I did have the proper ports forwarded on my router, so besides that I can't explain why it was so slow. A torrent that was slow in Deluge began downloading at 200+ KBps in qBittorrent.

That said, I'll keep an eye on Deluge and try out future versions. For now, however, qBittorrent seems to be a suitable Azureus replacement.

ttakun
April 27th, 2007, 11:52 PM
Actually my vote goes for rtorrent. But I also use Deluge sometimes. And I'm sure in the future Deluge will be my preferred bittorrent client.

ffxr
April 27th, 2007, 11:58 PM
ve used a few azureus, deluge but ktorrent is my favourite.

K.Mandla
April 28th, 2007, 12:06 AM
rtorrent. I can download and seed something like 16 torrents at a time and htop says it takes up less than 12Mb of RAM. And I can run it from a terminal window, which makes it more or less impervious to all those times I smack X around.

beefcurry
April 28th, 2007, 01:33 PM
Started phasing out my Azureus use, into Deluge, but Deluge is too weak (or under developed) yet to be really full featured. I've been spending most time in ktorrent now.

Kernel Sanders
April 28th, 2007, 03:40 PM
uTorrent

ynnhoj
April 28th, 2007, 03:59 PM
rtorrent gets the job done for me.

spockrock
April 28th, 2007, 04:10 PM
azureus

spacegypsy
April 28th, 2007, 04:13 PM
AZUREUS (http://azureus.sourceforge.net/)

Ripfox
April 28th, 2007, 04:15 PM
Transmission!!

kh4nh
April 28th, 2007, 05:05 PM
I've basically been through them all and have settled on rtorrent. The less GUIs the better for me these days. And running Azureus headless is just crazy.

We are on the same boat. rtorrent it is.

MaximB
April 28th, 2007, 06:00 PM
Azureus

me too

the best client so far.

robenroute
April 29th, 2007, 11:10 AM
BitTornado just chows CPU resources, completely ridiculous. Ktorrent is fine, but I'd rather keep my gnome system free of KDE stuff. Azureus is massive and just feels wrong.

So, until I stumble upon a better alternative, I remain with uTorrent under Wine.

lepz
April 29th, 2007, 11:40 AM
I have only used torrents a couple of times and both with bitTornado first time was really slow, second time wasn't too bad.

Has anyone tried FoxTorrent? and if so is it any good?

decimal
April 29th, 2007, 01:51 PM
μtorrent with wine. Haven't found anything to match it :p

F-3582
April 29th, 2007, 01:55 PM
Azureus FTW! Seriously, I couldn't think of any other.

frup
April 29th, 2007, 02:11 PM
Azureus and Deluge.

kelvin spratt
April 29th, 2007, 02:27 PM
i was a fan of the blue frog then it updated and the safe peer disapeared then java updated the frog did not want to play so i went to ktorrent and was amazed then upgraded to fiesty ktorrent started playing up went to thier site installed lattest version now ok great client and very light on resourses and has good plugins ei ip filter DHT
etc

antenna
April 29th, 2007, 04:19 PM
I've begun using rtorrent, with plans to use it with ssh. Seems good so far.

xpod
April 29th, 2007, 05:10 PM
I`ve been using azureus practically the whole 8 months i`ve been using Ubuntu and although i tried a few others along the way i always come back to azureus......until last week that is when i tried Ktorrent for the first time.

I was sure i`d tried em all but it seems Ktorrent slipped through the net:)

crimesaucer
April 30th, 2007, 02:08 AM
utorrent on my Windows Xp partition.

I know, it's blasphemy, but I have it optimized perfectly from this guide: http://forum.utorrent.com/viewtopic.php?id=3912&p=1

After following every direction correctly, and installing the patch, and configuring the TCP/IP optimizer correctly to not bottleneck my T1 cable connection, I can say that torrents that used to take 1 day to almost 2 days using Azureus, now only take 1 hour to 4 hours tops. Seeding also is quick, and I can actually have 6 torrents open and downloading with no problems.

Plus, I only use a torrent if I'm sleeping, so it's the one night out of a month that I actually use my dual booted Windows Xp partition, and for the few minutes that I'm on there, I can compare my xubuntu to my Xp and see why I choose to use xubuntu.

also.....I haven't seen any "optimized speed" guides for using utorrent on wine, and haven't tried it yet, so I don't know if there is much of a difference.

rabid9797
April 30th, 2007, 02:13 AM
ktorrent, deluge, or utorrent.

davidgarcin
April 30th, 2007, 02:18 AM
uTorrent + wine.

jugs
April 30th, 2007, 02:32 AM
Terrible list of possibilities...
Torrents under OPERA?

rtorrent. day and night and day again.

jtraub
April 30th, 2007, 02:41 AM
Azureus with command line and telnet interfaces. SO i can control my downloads via ssh :-)

Also rtorrent not bad, but it doesn't support some protocol features

twogunmickey
April 30th, 2007, 02:44 AM
Azureus. Can't believe you left this out of the poll. It's a native Ubuntu Bittorrent client and is very popular.

Mihkal
April 30th, 2007, 02:48 AM
Azureus
It does what I want and it's system independent.

acidphex
April 30th, 2007, 02:50 AM
Transmission:
http://www.getdeb.net/app.php?name=Transmission
-no java
-low on resources
-gtk
-small simple design

roachk71
April 30th, 2007, 05:34 AM
I like Ktorrent, but my experience has been that ISO images take no less than 12 hours to download on this 1Mbit/second connection. Not enough seeders and too many leechers, I guess...:(

LookTJ
April 30th, 2007, 05:40 AM
Terrible list of possibilities...

Sorry, but I can't edit the poll.

jpmontalbo
April 30th, 2007, 07:24 AM
I have also voted for Transmission client. Lightweight and speeds are awesome. Plus Peer exchange (PEX) compatible with Azureus and uTorrent. \\:D/ \\:D/ :biggrin:

unnes
April 30th, 2007, 12:26 PM
Azureus. Can't believe you left this out of the poll. It's a native Ubuntu Bittorrent client and is very popular.

Native client? Surely you jest. The fact that it relies on the Java VM is why it regularly takes up 300+MB of RAM.

Transmission is nice, but doesn't support DHT or many other desirable features. KTorrent has all the major features (DHT, uPnP, Peer Exchange, superseeding, encryption, selective downloading, RSS parsing, web gui) and works well in both KDE and Gnome under Feisty, contrary to popular belief.

If you're using Azureus or Transmission, at least give KTorrent a try. I haven't looked back since I installed it.

Watson
April 30th, 2007, 12:48 PM
i use azureus

Steve H
April 30th, 2007, 03:10 PM
I dabbled with Deluge for a while,but it's a bit sparse and needs some work (sorry guys). So I'm continuing to use Ktorrent (on a Gnome desktop). I did used to use uTorrent under *******, but since the move to Ubuntu, I've found Ktorrent to be just as good (although I would like a speed graph).

:)

mydrac
April 30th, 2007, 04:59 PM
i am use rtorrent + screen it´s like utorrent for linux.

rajeshgovindan
May 6th, 2007, 05:39 PM
DELUGE.....Rockz

Azureus, too is good....but is quite confusing for a newbie(like me)

haricharan
May 6th, 2007, 05:41 PM
i use deluge....better than the GNOME client....

juxtaposed
May 6th, 2007, 05:49 PM
KTorrent has all the major features

Well, something seems to be wrong with it, since it's banned on the private trackers I go on.

starcraft.man
May 6th, 2007, 06:54 PM
I'm a ktorrent man, used to use bit tornado but the new version doesn't like me on Feisty and refuses to remember my settings. Not to mention I still had trouble with azureus >.>. I'm very happy with it :)

pondochris
May 9th, 2007, 06:14 AM
I dunno...I used utorrent for a while under XP then started using Dapper quite a bit and was using azureus...then for reasons I still can't comprehend I decided to scrap ubuntu and give slackware 11.0 a try. I then abandoned linux all together after the slackware incident!!! months went by and I reinstalled ubuntu and upgraded to feisty. I tried azureus for a couple torrents and was kinda disgusted by it's performance and now I'm searching for something new...think I might try utorrent+wine.:guitar:

NeoLithium
May 9th, 2007, 06:17 AM
Azureus, all the time. Once java is set up it works really well and surprisingly doesn't use as many resources as I would expect.

digby280
May 9th, 2007, 10:22 AM
Azureus

ceelo
May 9th, 2007, 11:44 AM
I finally got Azureus to behave for me. It also runs a lot faster on Ubuntu and Debian than it did when I was running on Fedora, so I was pleased about that. That said, I still use µTorrent through WINE.

manjula.mh
May 9th, 2007, 04:31 PM
utorren + wine --> Great

pmj
May 9th, 2007, 05:04 PM
utorrent + wine = 1GB of RAM usage within 10 minutes, at least for me.

I use Deluge, and BitTornado for "problem torrents".

dodgePT
May 9th, 2007, 05:14 PM
ktorrent definitelly :) 24mbit dsl connection with router port forwarding.

qvoffka
May 10th, 2007, 02:46 PM
I'm a ktorrent man, used to use bit tornado but the new version doesn't like me on Feisty and refuses to remember my settings. Not to mention I still had trouble with azureus >.>. I'm very happy with it :)

Yepp... the same problems with my bittornado too...

grte
May 11th, 2007, 12:23 AM
rtorrent for me. It's even better when used in combination with yeahconsole/screen/urxvt.

PrimoTurbo
May 11th, 2007, 12:53 AM
Azureus for Linux and uTorrent for Windows.

Azureus offers all the advanced features of a torrent client, new versions are far less resource hungry compared to old. Also private sites support Azureus and don't support many of the clients that are identified as other.

uTorrent has all the features you will ever need, it's also very small and uses almost no resources. However only for windows and I don't like running it in wine it looks ugly and responds badly.

pondochris
May 11th, 2007, 06:31 PM
I dunno...I used utorrent for a while under XP then started using Dapper quite a bit and was using azureus...then for reasons I still can't comprehend I decided to scrap ubuntu and give slackware 11.0 a try. I then abandoned linux all together after the slackware incident!!! months went by and I reinstalled ubuntu and upgraded to feisty. I tried azureus for a couple torrents and was kinda disgusted by it's performance and now I'm searching for something new...think I might try utorrent+wine.:guitar:

yeah u guys were right about utorrent+wine=awesome...too bad it was one of the last bittorrent clients I've tried under ubuntu....:lolflag:

Mateo
May 11th, 2007, 06:33 PM
rtorrent for me. It's even better when used in combination with yeahconsole/screen/urxvt.

what does that do?

UbuntuniX
May 11th, 2007, 06:36 PM
Azureus!

uantuzri
May 11th, 2007, 11:24 PM
Apart from the appearance and the options, where is the difference between them? Any difference on how the torrents are managed?

uantuzri
May 11th, 2007, 11:25 PM
I used to use Azureus, but when I did a fresh install I gave deluge a try. It is very simple and works fine. It doesn't have as many options as Azureus or uTorrent, but in the end, you don't use them all and the cpu load is very high. Just a problem with deluge: It's still too buggy in my opinion, I'm waiting for a more stable version, and when it releases, Deluge will my first choice.

honeydew
May 12th, 2007, 01:27 AM
deluge(but there are still a few kinks to work out) and azureus.. why torrent though? My preference for downloading.. is a intravenous hookup to usenet... flooding me veins with goodness ... hellanzb seems to work charms for this.

grte
May 12th, 2007, 06:58 AM
what does that do?

Yeahconsole is a quake-style console which utilizes your favourite terminal (in my case urxvt). Screen is a terminal-multiplexor. Combine the three and basically what I have is a lightweight quake-style console with tabs which is proof against X crashes, because when screen quits suddenly it doesn't exit. It can be resumed with a simple screen -r. Screen also allows me to start apps when it starts, I usually have htop, a zsh session, rtorrent, and ncmpc running at startup.

RAV TUX
May 12th, 2007, 07:18 AM
Opera

Kujen
May 12th, 2007, 07:29 AM
Just switched to Transmission. Nice and simple.

Balazs_noob
May 12th, 2007, 08:18 AM
qBittorrent...
nice and easy use :D

zvacet
May 12th, 2007, 09:18 AM
To RAV TUX.I realy like to see someone write that name with huge letters,but what I miss in Opera is possibility to choose wich file in torrent I will download and wich not.Maybe there is option for that but I don´t know about it.So,if I´m wrong I be glad if you can point me in right direction,because Opera is my first choice as a browser.Same thing with Transmission.Great torrent client but without option to choose wich file from torrent you will download.you are forced to download them all or nothing.As I sed before,in case of Opera I´ll be glad if I´m wrong.

darknightuk
May 12th, 2007, 12:49 PM
I use Ktorrent now used to use azureus but its slow and bloated, ktorrent works well with the latest versions and it's improving with every release, i tried transmission that worked ok but with no protocol encryption the speed gets battered by my isp the rest are mostly to dated or incomplete for me

RAV TUX
May 12th, 2007, 12:54 PM
To RAV TUX.I realy like to see someone write that name with huge letters,but what I miss in Opera is possibility to choose wich file in torrent I will download and wich not.Maybe there is option for that but I don´t know about it.So,if I´m wrong I be glad if you can point me in right direction,because Opera is my first choice as a browser.Same thing with Transmission.Great torrent client but without option to choose wich file from torrent you will download.you are forced to download them all or nothing.As I sed before,in case of Opera I´ll be glad if I´m wrong.

In Opera right click on the torrent, here you can pause, stop or start any Torrent you choose.

stimpack
May 12th, 2007, 01:26 PM
I have used Azureus/uTorrent/KTorrent and I like them all really. However at the moment for extra geek points I am using rTorrent detached under a Screen session on a headless box hidden away that I control via SSH from my laptop wherever I am. :)

JockeTF
May 12th, 2007, 08:50 PM
rTorrent running in a screen session. :)

Mateo
May 12th, 2007, 08:58 PM
rTorrent running in a screen session. :)

why do you need to run screen?

honeydew
May 13th, 2007, 09:01 PM
to install screen..

sudo apt-get install screen

when you close the terminal the screen session will keep running.. to reattach.. type

screen -r

man screen

will tell you how todo all the other groovy stuff

Mateo
May 13th, 2007, 09:11 PM
i know how to run screen, I was asking why he runs screen with rtorrent.

Nikron
May 13th, 2007, 09:26 PM
i know how to run screen, I was asking why he runs screen with rtorrent.

Because then he can detach rtorrent. So, if X crashes, his torrent will be saved..

Mateo
May 14th, 2007, 06:38 PM
Because then he can detach rtorrent. So, if X crashes, his torrent will be saved..

I don't understand... why is screen necessary? You can run rtorrent from the console without screen. This has nothing to do with X. If X crashes, whether you are running screen or not, rtorrent will continue since it's not running under X.

stimpack
May 14th, 2007, 06:54 PM
I can use screen to detach rtorrent on my desktop and then ssh in from my laptop at work and reattach.

rub1m
May 15th, 2007, 02:39 AM
Azureus on Feisty with sun-java6 seems to be OK for me, though a little bit slow on my 128MB RAM laptop , but it is much better than using azureus + sun-java5

jfca283
May 15th, 2007, 06:52 AM
BitTyrant

mahy
May 15th, 2007, 11:47 AM
Azureus, but not the packaged one.

Kingsley
May 15th, 2007, 12:04 PM
Azureus

Nakkis
May 15th, 2007, 01:19 PM
Rtorrent is my choice. It's lightweight, supports encryption and easy to manage remotely. :)

fiftynine
May 15th, 2007, 03:22 PM
I like µtorrent+wine combination.

Mateo
May 15th, 2007, 06:47 PM
I can use screen to detach rtorrent on my desktop and then ssh in from my laptop at work and reattach.

i understand now. I thought screen just let you keep a history of the commands you've run, to scroll up. I now see it's more capable and cooler than I expected.

goodtimetribe
May 16th, 2007, 05:43 AM
wine + utorrent works nicely for me so far... better than putting it in a vm under windows :)

kostkon
May 28th, 2007, 09:46 PM
KTorrent.

Polygon
May 28th, 2007, 09:49 PM
ive seen quite a few trackers say that opera is not a proper bittorent client and they ban users that use it.

im personally waiting for deluge to support UPnP then i can use it, but for now its azureus

ButteBlues
May 29th, 2007, 01:26 AM
ive seen quite a few trackers say that opera is not a proper bittorent client and they ban users that use it.

im personally waiting for deluge to support UPnP then i can use it, but for now its azureus
OiNK is a good example.

Deluge, uTorrent, and Azureus are all allowed though.

Judo
May 29th, 2007, 01:52 AM
I was using Azureus up until now. I switched over to BitTornado a few days ago. Azureus gave me some odd errors completely at random and it nearly killed my CPU. BitTornado has all the features I want and I'm quite happy with it.

Pugwash
May 29th, 2007, 02:02 AM
Azureus, works fine for me.

merlyn
September 14th, 2007, 01:46 AM
Deluge (http://deluge-torrent.org/), still in early stages of development but making good ground with every release.

Cheers

Morbett
September 14th, 2007, 02:35 AM
Transmission.

Boomy
September 14th, 2007, 03:00 AM
I use Deluge. I used to use Azureus, and liked it, but it started acting up. It uses java which is a big POS. I switched to Deluge and never looked back.

PurposeOfReason
September 14th, 2007, 03:03 AM
Deluge FTW!

regomodo
September 15th, 2007, 08:56 AM
uTorrrent under Wine

thesmartace
September 15th, 2007, 09:04 AM
I used to use Azureus but have recently moved to Deluge.

LookTJ
September 15th, 2007, 09:38 AM
my new choice is rtorrent!

DirtDawg
September 15th, 2007, 09:42 AM
rtorrent 4 life, cuz.

Skorzen
September 23rd, 2007, 07:04 PM
Actually, I'm using Transmission. At the moment, looks nice.

questpro
September 23rd, 2007, 07:11 PM
Deluge, working great for me.

I tried utorrent under wine, ktorrent.

I use azureous in windows, but rarely seeing 'windows' these days.;)

diskotek
September 23rd, 2007, 07:45 PM
i also used ktorrent till today... now i'm using deluge, and it's really rocks.. ok, i've just used it for 6 hours, but really looks pretty and functional and light-weight

rahimveron
September 23rd, 2007, 07:48 PM
Deluge for me.

blue13130
September 23rd, 2007, 07:51 PM
I am proud user of rtorrent here. Created a deb package of the latest release as the repo has an old version. Have been using rtorrent for about year now and would not consider anything else.

almaddin
September 23rd, 2007, 07:51 PM
using bittornado, sometimes K-torrent.

wana10
September 23rd, 2007, 08:40 PM
qtorrent here, works perfectly and low memory usage

ihatethedekoys
September 23rd, 2007, 09:38 PM
deluge

RAV TUX
September 23rd, 2007, 10:01 PM

So voting may begin!I would second Opera as my primary bittorrent client.

bapoumba
September 24th, 2007, 12:12 AM
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=387120

There is already a similar thread, opened previously. I'm closing here, so that the poll will not get lost during the merge.