PDA

View Full Version : Really, seriously dumb Sabayon question (wireless)

floke
April 5th, 2007, 10:53 PM
Ok here goes....

Have downloaded the Live(mini)CD of Sabayon and cannot for the life of me find a way to use my wireless with it. I know that its supported (IntelPro 3945G), but can't seem to find a 'network manager' type app that will show networks, or even give me the chance to enter an ESSID + WEP key.

Have I missed something here. Have my brains fallen out.
Should I just go jump off a tall building for fear of passing on my stupid genes and contributing to the intellectual degeneration of the species?

Or is there a way it can be done?

floke
April 6th, 2007, 10:44 AM
Hmmm, so I found a WEP GUI thing (eventually), but it doesn't seem to notice the wireless card. Also doesn't recognise 'iwconfig' from the terminal - although this works fine on another PC.

Strange things are afoot at Sabayon.

Anyone got any tips?

Antman
April 6th, 2007, 08:21 PM
Ok here goes....

Have downloaded the Live(mini)CD of Sabayon and cannot for the life of me find a way to use my wireless with it. I know that its supported (IntelPro 3945G), but can't seem to find a 'network manager' type app that will show networks, or even give me the chance to enter an ESSID + WEP key.

Have I missed something here. Have my brains fallen out.
Should I just go jump off a tall building for fear of passing on my stupid genes and contributing to the intellectual degeneration of the species?

Or is there a way it can be done?

My laptop uses the same Intel Wireless card and Sabayon 3.3 mini didn't have an issue. I just had to click on the square wireless icon in the upper right corner and select my wireless network (I use WPA) from the list. Then it will prompt you for your wireless security password.

Piece of cake on my end. :guitar:

Ant

bigee1212
April 7th, 2007, 12:00 AM
i have the same card, and it did have a problem in 3.3 mini, i just went back to linux mint :)

when i ran gentoo last year, i had to install it manually... you may have to take that route

http://gentoo-wiki.com/HARDWARE_ipw3945

dunno if this will help but this is what i used.

floke
April 7th, 2007, 12:26 AM
My laptop uses the same Intel Wireless card and Sabayon 3.3 mini didn't have an issue. I just had to click on the square wireless icon in the upper right corner and select my wireless network (I use WPA) from the list. Then it will prompt you for your wireless security password.

Piece of cake on my end. :guitar:

Ant

I am SO STUPID!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Am posting from mini Sbyn w. w/lss. now!!!

Thanx mate.

If you ever need a brain I have half of one going spare...