PDA

View Full Version : Shafetech Azure laptop review

PatrickMay16
April 5th, 2007, 10:11 PM
Last month, I ordered a Shafetech Azure laptop computer. Today it arrived, and so I will give you a review of it.

It was packaged well, and even included a laptop carry bag. I thought that was good.
I'm from the UK, and shafetech work in the US, but they ship to europe. The pow0r adaptor is American, but it can be used fine with a plug converter.

Problems:
The laptop reports to have 495MB RAM, though I ordered 1GB and the invoice shows 1GB. I don't know if this is because of the intel graphics, perhaps it is shared memory, and half the RAM is being used as video memory? I dunno. If anyone knows of a way that I can check this, I'd be happy. Everything else was exactly as ordered (80GB disk, etc.)
Ubuntu seems to be bloated these days. I checked it, and like 200MB of RAM was used just sitting there at the desktop. It got a bit better after I cleaned things up and disabled unneeded services, though.
It seems like the Fn+Brightnessup/Brightnessdown button combinations have no effect on the screen brightness. I don't know why this is, and other function buttons seem to work fine. But one can change the brightness using the power management dialogue in the preferences menu. Heheheheh. Perhaps there is a solution to this problem.

Interesting points:
It came with Beryl preinstalled and set up. So if you like Beryl, it saves you some work. It also seems like mp3 support was installed and ready.
It also has a "powered by ubuntu" sticker on it. Nice touch.

Good points: Everything seems to work well, though I have not yet tested suspend/hibernate or tried running on battery pow0r.
The laptop is very attractive looking.

****-BENIS.

If anyone has any questions about the laptop, I will try to answer the questions.

PatrickMay16
April 6th, 2007, 01:52 AM
I'd just like to update this.

I said in the other post that the laptop was missing half the RAM that was ordered. Well, we emailed the guys at shafetech, and they responded, letting us know what happened. It turns out that with this particular model, the memory can come loose during shipping. So we pushed the memory back firmly into its place, and everything was great.

That's another good point, the support from Shafetech is very friendly and helpful.

Rydel
April 6th, 2007, 02:54 AM
I'm glad you like your Azure! I have one myself and I really like it. Just a little fact that might interest you, your Azure was the last one shipped after we stopped taking orders. Maybe a collector's item? ;-)

Everything seems to work well, though I have not yet tested suspend/hibernate or tried running on battery pow0r.

Both were fully tested here at the factory. :-)

LookTJ
April 6th, 2007, 03:04 AM
If you don't mind losing Beryl... You can always do a fresh install. :)