PDA

View Full Version : What do you use to play your music?

sushii.
April 5th, 2007, 04:11 PM
Just wondering. I use Banshee and soon to be Exaile.

justin whitaker
April 5th, 2007, 04:14 PM
Songbird.

Onyros
April 5th, 2007, 04:26 PM
I still use XMMS, and will keep on using it for a while. I once used Amarok, but it was too bloated (I run Fluxbox, mainly and having to load all those KDE libs was too much) and I couldn't get the same sound quality I get from XMMS' equalizer.

I would switch *instantly* to Exaile if only it had an equalizer (and I know I'm not alone there).

girishv
April 5th, 2007, 04:47 PM
I use mpd. It allows me to control it through keyboard shortcuts (using fvwm) and has a very small memory foot print too

girish

beercz
April 5th, 2007, 04:47 PM
Amarok

urukrama
April 5th, 2007, 04:49 PM
Quod Libet mainly, but also Exaile. I am still trying to set up Sonata, which I really like, but have problems with getting mpd installed for some reason.

ajeffreys
I use exaile which has worked very well for me.

mand0
Used to be Amarok but now it's Exaile... Damn kde apps...

Mazza558
April 5th, 2007, 04:54 PM
Used to use Amarok, but it's broken now (crashes when viewing library), so I switched to Songbird.

PartisanEntity
April 5th, 2007, 05:00 PM
I am using Listen Music Player. Ideally I would use Amarok, but since I am using Gnome (and don't intend to install KDE) it would be a hassle to use Amarok (I think).

jariku
April 5th, 2007, 05:06 PM
Linux: Banshee
Windows: Foobar2000

graabein
April 5th, 2007, 05:06 PM
On my main box I use Banshee and I like that program but it could absolutely be improved... faster browsing, better search and some playlist queue for starters...

On the old and busted laptop and the low-end computer at my parents house I use xmms and gtkpod (playing from the iPod). I also recently discovered internet radio, yay! I'm so 1997!!

On Windows XP at work I use winamp and foobar and some musikcube.

Cloudy
April 5th, 2007, 05:49 PM
Exaile in Linux, WinAmp in Windows. Exaile's probably the best music/media player I've come across on linux - or at least, my favourite. I've tried a bunch of different ones w/ Windows and only liked WinAmp.

fuscia
April 5th, 2007, 05:57 PM
mplayer, now that i've figured out how to use it.

karellen
April 5th, 2007, 05:58 PM
xmms/banshee/winamp (in xp)

3rdalbum
April 5th, 2007, 06:01 PM
I always switch music players. I recently used Banshee, until it started failing me and I couldn't compile the latest version. I used to like Exaile, but it was buggy and new versions don't work on dapper. Quod Libet is good, but for some reason I never actually use it.

I use Rhythmbox right now.

ViRMiN
April 5th, 2007, 06:15 PM
Rhythmbox

rolando2424
April 5th, 2007, 06:16 PM
Ncmpc for the command line. Or Exaile for the Gui.

qamelian
April 5th, 2007, 06:18 PM
Audacious if I want something relatively lightweight, otherwise Songbird.

BugenhagenXIII
April 5th, 2007, 07:01 PM
Ncmpc. I've found it does everthing I need.

FuturePilot
April 5th, 2007, 07:03 PM
I use Amarok for listening to my music collection and XMMS for streaming music.

Bigbluecat
April 5th, 2007, 07:07 PM
Amarok at the moment.

Played with Listen, Rythmbox and also Songbird (my second favourite).

I use mt-daapd as a server to stream the collection around the house over WiFi.

Pikestaff
April 5th, 2007, 07:20 PM
I love Amarok but I seem to be having some issues with it lately so I might be giving some others a shot.

When I still had WinXP I used Winamp.

milehigh
April 5th, 2007, 07:25 PM
Rhythmbox for .ogg files and streaming audio.

%hMa@?b<C
April 5th, 2007, 07:26 PM
Rythmnbox

StarscreamD
April 5th, 2007, 07:28 PM
Exaile!

Dragonbite
April 5th, 2007, 07:29 PM
I finally got Rhythmbox playing but I like Banshee better.
I like Banshee for
Being able to close the application and have it still playingin the control panel
displaying album art even in the mini-view
cooler icon
Edit: Actually, most of my music playing is on my iPod shuffle, so I guess it comees down to what connects and can update the iPod.

tbroderick
April 5th, 2007, 07:32 PM
cmus with the last.fm submit patch or mplayer (command line not GUI)

Arisna
April 5th, 2007, 07:32 PM
Amarok. This became an easy choice after I switched to KDE.

laxmanb
April 5th, 2007, 07:33 PM
RealPlayer 10. It does the playing part better than GStreamer based apps.

banjobacon
April 5th, 2007, 07:39 PM
Mostly Rhythmbox, but I'm using Banshee at the moment. Banshee's got a much nicer interface, but Rhythmbox works better most of the time.

smbm
April 5th, 2007, 07:43 PM
MPD and NCMPC on my computer.

Still listen to CDs and LPs too though.

Nonno Bassotto
April 6th, 2007, 01:44 AM
Listen, but recently also MPD with pitchfork.

ceelo
April 6th, 2007, 01:49 AM
I have been using Exaile for a few weeks now after deciding to move on from Amarok. I really like it.

kop316
April 6th, 2007, 02:06 AM
I use XMMS and don't plan on changing anytime soon.

Ive tried the other apps and always come back to XMMS. Why do you guys like your Music app?

ynnhoj
April 6th, 2007, 02:18 AM
i've been using audacious for a while now. xmms and beep are cool too..

part of me would like to try out mpd with either mpc or ncmpc, but.. i'm too much of a slacker to bother with all that configuration just to play some tunes :-?

futz
April 6th, 2007, 02:23 AM
Beep and Amarok.

vf514
April 6th, 2007, 02:26 AM
iTunes. It has become a bit slow upon reaching version 7, but it's still my favorite. On Ubuntu, Rhythmbox works

CocoAUS
April 6th, 2007, 02:44 AM
I've been playing with all of them--Listen, Rhythmbox, Exaile, amaroK...

I've gotta say, I HATED amaroK when I first started using KDE. Hated it. I still find it to be annoying, and Listen works wonderfully for me. I'd probably be sticking with Listen, but I haven't had enough experience with the others to get used to them and try out their features.

dbbolton
April 6th, 2007, 02:50 AM
i'm fine with good ol' rhythmbox.

userundefine
April 6th, 2007, 03:00 AM
Amarok, no question.

wuzzerd
April 6th, 2007, 03:25 AM
A Baldwin piano...:lolflag:

LookTJ
April 6th, 2007, 03:55 AM
AmarokI use this as well too.

slimdog360
April 6th, 2007, 04:00 AM
Ive been through all of them and Im now settled back into xmms. But that could change at any moment.

ButteBlues
April 6th, 2007, 04:21 AM
Banshee.

tenkabuto
April 6th, 2007, 05:25 AM
Rythmbox for Linux, whenever I'm able to use Songbird on Windows, I do though.

nerdman978
April 6th, 2007, 06:04 AM
Sorry, but Windows Media Player for Windows (I used it since I was ten, sorry). But for Ubuntu, I like Exaile. I haven't downloaded it yet because I just recently wiped the hard drive on my computer, and I can't find it anymore! (don't mean to hijack the thread, but help!)

Obor
April 6th, 2007, 08:30 AM
beep-media-player for radio streams (instead of xmms, because it can minimize to sys bar)
amarok for all other music

Raffo
April 6th, 2007, 08:33 AM
Amarok :)

argie
April 6th, 2007, 08:41 AM
Amarok in KDE, just mplayer with a text file playlist in Gnome or elsewhere.

DougieFresh4U
April 6th, 2007, 08:44 AM
Well, sadly as it is, amarok is causing CPU usage to spike near 100% most of the time , so I use Exaile! , Xmm when I want to use streamtuner. And while I'm playing around on the computer, I use Beep Media Player.(one of the few with an equalizer)

davtaine
April 6th, 2007, 08:57 AM
AmaroK. :)

zoetrope666
April 6th, 2007, 03:53 PM
XMMS Music Player.. the best I've found, and the one that seems to play most of the formats I have.

Happy_Man
April 6th, 2007, 04:32 PM
Exaile!. I used to use Amarok, but it loaded too slow.

sunexplodes
April 7th, 2007, 12:11 AM
MPD and Sonata. Does everything I need with next to no footprint. Awesome.

Rutabega
April 7th, 2007, 12:13 AM
Exaile- Everything I could need in a player. I prefer the simple clean interface also.

boast
April 7th, 2007, 12:21 AM
Exaile!. I used to use Amarok, but it loaded too slow.

same.

I wanna try songbird tho.

reacocard
April 7th, 2007, 02:54 AM
Sorry, but Windows Media Player for Windows (I used it since I was ten, sorry). But for Ubuntu, I like Exaile. I haven't downloaded it yet because I just recently wiped the hard drive on my computer, and I can't find it anymore! (don't mean to hijack the thread, but help!)

http://www.exaile.org/trac/wiki/Releases

My favorite too. I really need to finish my daap plugin for it sometime, then it'll be even more awesome. :D

BOBSONATOR
April 7th, 2007, 04:40 AM
exaile for me too..

BoyOfDestiny
April 7th, 2007, 05:16 AM
Audacious, no question. Plays almost everything under the sun (notice sid, console plugins, adplug, uade too...)

:guitar:

CocoAUS
April 8th, 2007, 08:17 PM
I'm really liking Listen the most. It's not too playlist-centric like amaroK is, but it still has tons of features. All the features are really non-invasive, yet easy to utilize, so they don't get in the way when you just wanna listen to music, but they're not hidden in some obscure menu or tab, either. Exaile is slow and resource-intensive when cataloging music (for instance, simply loading a 30gig audio folder), and the fact that it's trying to be like amaroK means that it's trying to be like something I'm not a fan of.

I've noticed that just about everyone who actually likes amaroK 1) hates the Listen interface and 2) is obsessed with playlists. For me, the amaroK interface is horrible, but Listen is a thing of beauty. I also am not obsessed with playlists...so Listen is just dandy for me.

Listen handles podcasts much better than the others (can organize by date, can download or stream), and it's still very early in development, with many more features (alarm clock functionality, etc) being added in the very near future.

Gargamella
April 8th, 2007, 08:22 PM
Amarok all the way, even if gnome, it the best

Steveway
April 8th, 2007, 09:37 PM
I use Amarok mostly.
If Amarok is slow for you then try to use Mysql instead of SQLite, changing this makes Amarok run like a weasel. :)

jointstereotype
April 27th, 2007, 07:39 PM
I like the idea of a music manager (ala Amarok, Rhythmbox, etc.), but in the end I chose Audacious, mainly because of the equalizer feature, but also because it reminded me of my old Winamp / XMMS days. ;) (I realize Amarok includes an equalizer as well, but it doesn't seem to work on my system.)

orange2k
April 27th, 2007, 07:44 PM
Beep media player...

Well I must admit its because I like Winamp a lot so...