PDA

View Full Version : English project on..you guessed it....LINUX

nerdman978
April 5th, 2007, 03:26 AM
Hello. I am working on an English research paper on one of my favorite things: LINUX. To add to my paper, I would like an "interview" with you kind folks who helped me through my Ubuntu n00bie days. All I ask is you reply to this post with some answers to these questions (if you could answer as many as you can, or all of them, that would be great).

1. Why Linux?
2. How did you first hear about Linux?
3. Which distribution do you prefer Ubuntu, Kubuntu, Xubuntu (anything else...) and which desktop environment (KDE or GNOME).
4. Do you like Linux better than Windows or the Mac OSX and why?
5. Does anyone else you know use Linux (you don't need to put specific names XD).
6. Do you make use of the CLI?
7. What do you like best about your favorite distribution?
8. Did you partition your drive with Windows (or the OSX) and Linux? Or did you just go all out Linux?
9. What does Linux mean to you as an operating system.
10. Post anything else you can think of that, just, well makes Linux great (or just better than Windows or OSX)!

FoolsGold
April 5th, 2007, 03:37 AM
1. Why Linux?

Simple: I do not like the way Windows is headed, and if Vista is a sign of the future of the Windows platform, I do not want to have anything to do with it. Excessive bloat, DRM, activation crap, inflexibility, etc. Linux appeals to me in its community, as well as my geeky side, plus I become free in all the ways I am not with Windows.

From talk on the net.

3. Which distribution do you prefer Ubuntu, Kubuntu, Xubuntu (anything else...) and which desktop environment (KDE or GNOME).

Ubuntu, Gnome.

Yes, for the reasons stated in 1. I also like the performance gained from using Linux compared to, say, Vista. I was reminded of how powerful my computer actually was, which was neutered from using Vista. Plus I can't stay on XP forever, so I had to either live with Vista or make a change. I chose the latter.

5. Does anyone else you know use Linux (you don't need to put specific names XD).

My Dad, occasionally. My supervisor at Uni. A colleague or two.

Every single day. So much more useful than the GUI for many a task.

How nicely things fit together, and how many things work well out of the box. It's very slick.

8. Did you partition your drive with Windows (or the OSX) and Linux? Or did you just go all out Linux?

Only Linux, but I do have Windows XP running in a virtual machine for the odd application. It's a waste to dedicate a whole partition to Windows if I can avoid it.

Freedom, the ability to drop the shackles from a proprietary operating system, the fact that I don't have to be suspicious about what the OS is doing with my data.

10. Post anything else you can think of that, just, well makes Linux great (or just better than Windows or OSX)!

Linux has a much nicer mascot than some stupid multi-coloured window. :)

plb
April 5th, 2007, 03:53 AM
1. Why Linux?
Because it's constantly updated, free, and does everything I need.

I heard about Linux back in 1999 from a Boeing Tech Rep while stationed in Japan

Ubuntu, Gnome

Yep, see my answer to question #1

No

Yes

The community

Strictly Linux for the past 8 years

Reliable

Depends on the end user really. Linux may work well for me but someone else may be a hardcore gamer and may not see it that way

IYY
April 5th, 2007, 04:10 AM
1. Why Linux?

First and foremost, Freedom. Also because it's more secure, stable, flexible, easier to understand (I am a computer science student and enjoy knowing about my system), possible to modify, has a great community, works on old systems, is free of charge, has a great way of installing software.

A friend of mine told me about FreeBSD, and I eventually moved to Linux.

Ubuntu, and Gnome. I personally alternate between various desktop environments, like XFCE, Fluxbox and IceWM, but see Gnome as superior for the average user.

I already listed the reasons. I like it much better than Windows, and a bit better than Mac OS X (although I would consider switching to OS X if it was Free software).

Yes, quite a lot of people. Mostly friends in university (not only computer science students!) and people from Toronto's Linux users group (go figure).

Very often. I find it to be faster and easier to use than the GUI.

Reliable and quick release cycle, a friendly community, good hardware support, good artwork, only one CD, LiveCD.

I recently got a tiny Windows2000 partition to do some Windows-only tasks, but I boot to it only once every few months.

It means knowing that the computer is my tool, and not my boss.

I think I pretty much listed it all...

sloggerkhan
April 5th, 2007, 05:53 AM
1. Why Linux?
Free(Cost effective): ALL software + OS.
Simple
Logical
Fun
Personalized

Not sure, knew about it since a kid.

Prefer debian-based distros, usually use plain Ubuntu, though.
Prefer GNOME and xfce.

I do like Linux better than Mac or Windows. I can use synaptic or aptitude to get and install software for free. I can make themes to match my computer. I can use hundreds of themes. I can use beryl. I can make my computer my own. It's also much easier to use than Mac or Windows excepting configuring the graphics card.

I know a handful of other Linux users in person.

Sometimes. For a few tasks it's pretty useful. But I did start on pre-OSX macs, so I do like a nice GUI. That said, I like the command line more as I use it more.

Only distro to correctly detect and configure my graphics card out of the box. Ubuntu also has a great forum community. In general, Ubuntu has just been 20 times more usable than other distros. So while I like to mess with them, it is Ubuntu that I use day to day.

When I had my first Linux install almost 1 year ago, I had 2 distros + Windows on my laptop partitions. Now I only have linux.

Freedom.
The freedom to customize.
The freedom to make my computer my own.
The freedom to have anonymity.
The freedom to do what I like with the software I use.
The freedom to capitalize completely on the abilities and technologies of the computer I own.

With Linux, the same operating system is scalable to tremendously variable system requirements. Good luck running Vista on an older machine. But Linux, even one version of Linux, will run on a huge range of CPU power.

Linux also offers businesses and other groups the ability to customize it's look and face to match the face of their organization, be it a complete theme in a University's school colors and with their logo, or be it something else.

rai4shu2
April 5th, 2007, 06:02 AM
1. Because
2. From a relative
3. Xubuntu/XFCE
4. Yes, because it's flexible and consistent
5. Yes
6. Yes
7. Its humanity
8. Yes (to both)
9. Free as well as technically sophisticated
10. It has a strong community and mostly good fundamentals in most of its corporate relationships

kevinlyfellow
April 5th, 2007, 06:40 AM
1. Why Linux?

I use linux because I feel that I can stay more organized with it (at least that was the start). Then I realized that I didn't need to spend as much time fixing it when I broke it (I break operating systems all the time trying to figure out how things work). I remember one instance when I broke the windows boot screen and therefore needed to reinstall the whole operating system. But whenever I broke linux, there was always a way that I could avoid reinstalling it. I also use linux because I can make more useful shell scripts than windows.

It was long ago that I had heard about it, 2000 maybe. I just remember a friend let me borrow redhat, but my computer (66 MHz processor 16 Mb ram) was way too slow for it. I was very interested in linux and when I got a new computer when I graduated in 2002 I bought a "The Red Hat Bible" with cds in it.

I like Ubuntu, but I always have a copy of Puppy Linux with me also. I have always preferred gnome, although sometimes I like to play with icewm.

Yes! If you break windows, you need to reinstall. If you break linux, you just need to fix it. I don't like the lack of control one has over Windows and also the lack of good virtual desktop support makes life difficult.

I don't like OSX for two major reasons: I find it very confusing and more importantly, to get Mac software I need to buy Mac hardware. Macs are expensive and in my opinion, ugly. I would be happier to buy hardware and software separately from each other.

Yes! A friend of mine from High School, a friend from when I was an undergrad, and I've helped a friend at my current college install Ubuntu. I know another student who runs ubuntu and two others who are interested. I have a professor who is fanatical about linux.

Yes! Its like talking to the computer. Its often easier for me to figure out how to do something in command line instead of clicking everywhere. It is faster, especially if you are working with multiple files. But pictures have there place and so doesn't written words. Some tasks are terrible to do in the command line others are a joy.

Ease of install. That is how ubuntu got me to use linux (after a dry spell from redhat). I just wanted something that would be usable (even if everything didn't work immediately out of the box) from the start. I also really like how they chose a smart set of programs instead of every program under the sun. I can install any software that didn't come with the distribution easy enough. And that brings me to a third thing I like best :-): software installation is a breeze!

Up until about 4 months ago I have had windows installed, although I rarely rarely used it. When I bought a system76 computer and moved, I left my windows install behind. The only thing windows was useful for was playing video games.

It means a smart way of computing. I really believe linux will be the future of home computing because of the security and flexibility that it has. Open source development is superior and the open technology being developed will soon grow past proprietary counterparts. Windows does the least that it can to get by and fills in the holes with marketing. Linux has stubbornly clung to ideals that should be prevalent in the computer world; open source code, easy configuration, and listening to the users. That is why it is a smart way of computing.

Linux is not ready for everyone in this world. There are things that would currently annoy the average user, like installing the latest versions of some software. These things will be fixed and it will soon be ready for the average user. This is something that makes linux great though: it will be fixed. Some other operating systems do the bare minimum to keep their customers happy, but linux is built partly by its users. If it strays away from what the users want, then it can just be forked and will be made for the users again. Linux is not owned by a company, and there is no real bias in the software (compare to Vista's DRM layer, which shows a bias towards big business).

Also, I remember back when I was using windows 95, I hated it when software would need to be upgraded. It meant that my computer would run slower with no real advantage being added. With open source, I have found that it has been the opposite. I get excited about upgraded because most of the new features are worthwhile and usually it does not mean a big performance hit (often new software will be faster!)

BTW, you may consider reading "Just for Fun" by Linus Torvalds for you English class. Good luck with your project!

karellen
April 5th, 2007, 07:12 AM
1. Why Linux?
Because I lke the philosophy and goals behind it, because it is stable, secure, customizable and free

from a good friend, I think it was 1998 or 1999.

Ubuntu (and suse/opensuse in the past) - with gnome

better than windows definitely, I've never tried mac osx

yes, my best friend and his girlfriend and now my girlfriend will start (hopefully)

yes, frequently

the community, the spirit, the repos, the package manager, the performance

linux and windows, as I need both

a choice and a change, a different way of doing things, an escape from corporate os and from paying money for (almost) nothing worth of them

it's free and open, it has a vibrant community and many-many enthusiasts that, steadily but firmly, will spread it accross the world (and if not, who cares, maybe is better to remain a "select business for computer savvy people)

Spr0k3t
April 5th, 2007, 09:55 AM
1. Why Linux?
Linux uses a structure that I am all too familiar with from my early days of using computers. You know, back when mice were furry critters with four legs and a tail.

Long story about this. I was talking with a micro-kernel developer (Carl Sassenrath) about the downfalls of MSDos (v3.02 I believe) and he told me to check out the ramblings of Linus Torvalds on a newsgroup.

Currently, I'm heavy into Ubuntu. I will be branching out to other distributions later for some old legacy equipment to run server software on. My preferred desktop environment is gnome, but I like the flexibility of KDE, just not a fan of the QT3 components.

My entire home network is free of the commercial operating systems. Even the older systems seem to snap to life with newfound speed they never had previously.

Most of my family uses Linux now. That's not just in my home, but every member of the family with the exception of my uncle who requires windows for his work.

Whenever I can use the terminal, I will. I've never been a big mouse person and love keyboard shortcuts. I've got programs running on a remote computer system that I can access through the terminal at any time.

The community support is exponentially better than any support you can find for the other commercial systems.

On my main computer system, I left one of my drives as an XP Pro system, but once I got my computer configured the way I like it, I haven't bothered to go back yet. True I've had to access a few files I had saved on that drive, but come July the drive will be nuked and removed from my computer as an archive.

Linux is not an operating system, it's a kernel, but I completely understand your meaning as a brand of operating systems. That said, I love using Linux and flaunting it to those who ask me the "So what do you think about Vista" questions I get on a regular basis.

That's just it though. The reason why Linux is great or better than those offerings, it's intuitive and doesn't second guess what you are trying to accomplish. I originally thought the learning curve was going to be quite steep, but it's nowhere near. The installation of applications is much better than what you find in Windows/OSX and easier to maintain.

nerdman978
April 5th, 2007, 05:18 PM
Wow guys, thanks a ton. I posted this less than 12 hours ago and got about 10 answers! This forum rules.

mand0
April 5th, 2007, 05:34 PM
1. Why Linux?

I do not want to be locked to a proprietary format. I want more control over my computer.

I heard about it through my sister's boyfriend (now he's my brother-in-law) who works in the IT industry and got me interested in computers.

As of right now it's Ubuntu and gnome. I like the idea and philosophy behind Gentoo but I am still too much of a novice for that distro.

Of course I do. When you install Ubuntu, you often don't need to install any drivers for your sound, internet (cable and wireless) and others. I like being able to customize how it looks and choose from countless programs. All free of charge, no viruses or spyware. I do miss Windows for certain games and certain apps (Foobar2000 being one example).

Yes, I have several geeky friends who use Linux (Gentoo and Ubuntu).

I do when installing certain programs or editing my source list or configuring my xconfig file.

The philosophy behind it, the colors, and ease of use.

Both my laptop and desktop are linux only.

Control to do what you want. Freedom to do it and still have fun.

We don't have to worry about how Microsoft's equity is doing.

3rdalbum
April 5th, 2007, 05:57 PM
1. Why Linux? Because it's more secure, more stable, more fun, and more conducive to my thought processes than Windows or Mac OS.

2. How did you first hear about Linux? I don't remember, but it was probably about 7 years ago.

3. Which distribution do you prefer Ubuntu, Kubuntu, Xubuntu (anything else...) and which desktop environment (KDE or GNOME). I actually like Linux Mint and Ubuntu. Gnome is definately my favourite DE.

4. Do you like Linux better than Windows or the Mac OSX and why? Same as question 1.

5. Does anyone else you know use Linux (you don't need to put specific names XD). One person uses Linux and knows it. My workplace runs a Point-of-sale system through SSH, with the program's host running on Red Hat. My colleagues do use Linux in this way, but it's more that they're using a program which happens to be running on Linux.

6. Do you make use of the CLI? Yes. I started on a low-resource system, so I found that it was MUCH quicker to do CLI than GUI when possible. Now I'm on a reasonable computer, I still find it faster - and now I find it much more powerful.

7. What do you like best about your favorite distribution? Vast repositories, nice looks, good community (very helpful) and lots of new innovations to keep things interesting.

8. Did you partition your drive with Windows (or the OSX) and Linux? Or did you just go all out Linux? My iMac is dual-boot Mac OS 9 and Ubuntu 5.10. My AMD machine is dual-boot WIndows and Ubuntu Dapper. I can't get rid of Windows unfortunately, and my father uses the Mac OS side of the iMac.

9. What does Linux mean to you as an operating system. Freedom from all the bad stuff that's happening to the computing world.

joker
April 5th, 2007, 07:06 PM
1. Why Linux?
Origionally I just wanted a media center PC. So after researching various software solutions I found I only had 4 real options, Mythtv (free), Microsoft media center, and a couple other non-free windows programs. So I tried out the free option first (via knoppmyth) and loved it. Although it did require a fair bit of tweaking via the command line (not so anymore). So I learned the CLI, trouble shot my issues, and discovered it was much easier than windows to track down and correct issues. After a while, it only seemed natural to use 'nix (Ubuntu) on my desktop too.

On the internet, while looking for information on freeBSD. I was shown freeBSD by a college professor and thought it looked interesting. Although I did not use linux until a couple years later.

My favorite distro is Knoppmyth, this is also where my 'nix migration started. But on the desktop I like Gnome better than KDE with ubuntu. But I have to admit I salivated at the default desktop in sabayian.

I definitely like linux better than windows. More configurability and it is easier to fix when I break it. I have not seen linux to be any more stable than windows, but in 'nix when something does crash, I am acutally able to find the cause via logs or useful error messages.

I also love all the spyware free software available, truely incredible.

My dad for like a week, but he quickly went back to windows for quicken and full WM9 support.

edit: my wife also uses linux without complaint, she is a non-technical person but hasn't had any problems

Often, I find it quite useful.

The community

8. Did you partition your drive with Windows (or the OSX) and Linux? Or did you just go all
out Linux?
I am still set up for dual boot, but havn't booted into windows for at least 6 months, and probibly never again now that I have discovered virtualization software. I still need my windows only CAD software, the VM works great for that.

It is a testiment to human inginuity and generosity.

I think the greatest advantage is that 'nix is not tied to any one inparticular, so it is not vunerable to being eliminated or corrupted by traditional market forces.

%hMa@?b<C
April 5th, 2007, 07:47 PM
Hello. I am working on an English research paper on one of my favorite things: LINUX. To add to my paper, I would like an "interview" with you kind folks who helped me through my Ubuntu n00bie days. All I ask is you reply to this post with some answers to these questions (if you could answer as many as you can, or all of them, that would be great).

1. Why Linux?

1) Why? Why not? I was curios of my other options than windows. I discovered linux, and have not turned back.
2) I had heard of linux since ~1998 (I was ~7) I had just gotten the internet :)
3) I like debian/ubuntu's package management, I like fluxbox for SPEED!
3) I like Linux the best because of flexability. I can do whatever I want with linux. OS X is similar, but the actual inner workings are unknown due to the closed source code. I like the Idea that I can edit any piece of software on my computer to suit my needs.
5) my family members use linux when they use my computer
6) ALL OUT LINUX (well, not true, I have a Solaris and a BSD partition)
9) free as in freedom (and btw, its GNU/Linux I dont want to get into a debate, but it is)
10) Everything :lolflag:

tommy1987
April 5th, 2007, 09:52 PM
1. Why Linux?
It is: Free
Very well supported
Reliable
Stable
There is lots of software for it that is mostly free as well
First heard about Linux from my general interest in computers, so the Internet I guess.
My personal preference is for Ubuntu with KDE, I find KDE very easy to use and it has made my transition from Windows to Linux a lot easier than GNOME.
I also run XUbuntu on my Laptop purely because it is lightweight and well supported.
I like Ubuntu a lot better than Windows (The OS I used to use) because it helps me gain more knowledge on what is actually happening inside my computer (Important to me studying Computer Science), and it allows me to develop using many tools and IDE's which have been made by the community for the community (this strength does not exist in Windows). I cannot say about Mac OSX because have not used it.
A lot of my friends use Linux but that is only because I am in a learning environment where everyone is studying computers. My family and friends from outside of college dont use Linux.
I make lots of use of the CLI, I find it is extremely convenient to have a method which is the same on every machine, this makes giving support a lot easier and performing simple-complex commands and operations easy. I try to make as much use of the CLI as I can because although it is slow learning all of the commands, when you remember them, it becomes easier in the long run.
I originally liked Ubuntu because it seemed very newbie friendly but now I really like the support base (Enough said really)
Initially I dual booted with XP, then went for a large period with just Ubuntu during which I was using Cedega to play games. However, I found this not to be sufficient for running games and it still required lots of messing around to get games working properly so I now dual boot with Vista (Which sucks I might add but it lets me play my games).
Linux means a lot to me, and I really appreciate its humble beginnings all of which have not involved making money. Although now it is rightly supported by many large tech companies.
Pretty much all been said... :)

Let us know how the project goes... ;-)

zoetrope666
April 5th, 2007, 11:10 PM
1. Why Linux?

As a student, I found the constant need to upgrade my computer and software a hugely expensive task, and felt disillusioned by the fact that each time I upgraded the new operating system didn't really seem that different from the old one. Even when there was a big difference made between the systems (for instance, 98SE and XP are very different on a lot of fronts, particularly their aesthetics) I felt annoyed that many of the core problems recurred (crashes, freezing up, viruses, spyware, defragmentation, etc.). I found that if I didn't spend around 45 minutes to 1 hour (or more) a day performing maintenance on my computer, it would become incredibly slow, freeze up, be plagued by spyware problems, and just generally be a pain to use.

Over time, this became such a lengthy, drawn out process that I grew fed up. I felt, and still feel, annoyed, that I spent money on a system that has consumed so much of my time. To me, a computer exists to service YOUR needs, NOT the other way around. I understand that will all machinery there is a level of servicing and maintenance involved to ensure that things run smoothly, but the effort required to keep Windows afloat is in complete disproportion to what the user gets back from it.

SO when I found out about Linux, I jumped at the opportunity , as it promised me a system free of many of the above woes.

I do admit though that I keep a dual-boot of Linux and XP on my laptop, just for the sake of uni and work requirements. As good as OpenOffice is, some documents do frustratingly rely on MSWord, and so for the sake of consistency I use MSWord for most work-related tasks. (MSWord doesn't run very fast on Linux on my laptop, so sometimes it's more convenient just to open and edit documents that rely on Word in Windows).

As soon as support for XP runs out, I will no longer support Windows. To run Vista, I would need completely new hardware. I've only just got this laptop - which was already in 'used' condition when I bought it - and I'm not about to part with it anytime soon. So, when XP support runs out, I'll either (a) delete my Windows partition and fully migrate to Linux, or (b) keep XP, but use it for strictly 'offline' purposes.

I can't actually remember. My partner introduced it to me. After trying out a lot of different distros for fun, we settled on Ubuntu and have used it for a year or two now.

I have tried Ubuntu, Kubuntu and Xubuntu distros and I grew to prefer and recommend Ubuntu Dapper. It's an easy system to use, and it's incredibly stable, so I'm really happy with it. I can customize it as much or as little as I like, and put as much software on it as I want. I have installed the option of switching between KDE and GNOME desktops, though I predominantly use the GNOME one.

The only other linux OS I would recommend is SimplyMEPIS. We run this on some of our other computers and find it to be a great system. It doesn't run efficiently enough on my laptop, however, while Ubuntu runs like a dream, so I've opted for Ubuntu.

Re: Windows, see response for Q.1.

Re: Mac -

I use Macs at work and I don't like them - I don't really find them as intuitive as Ubuntu. You could say that this is because I learnt on Windows, and so I'm used to a Windows layout.. and that that's why I prefer Linux (because many distros are modelled to allow WIndows users to easily migrate).. but I would beg to differ.

A lot about the Mac layout really annoys me. I don't really like how there's only one taskbar, and that it contains both your icons and your open windows.. I know that this is the same in Windows, but in a Mac the problem is exacerbated because the bottom toolbar is around half the size of the Windows one. I find that so confusing.

Also, If you don't constantly minimize and maximise your screens, then you can lose windows behind other windows.. and it just becomes a jumbled mess. I find that this means you need to use the mouse rather excessively compared to other systems.

I also don't like how the top taskbar changes according to what program window you're looking at - a real pain in the **** and confusing to use.

I also find that something about the layout of the keyboard and screen tends to tire me out more than other styles of computer. I would definately recommend people put Ubuntu on their computer rather than buy a Mac.

Yep, I know a few others who do. I only know one of these physically - my partner - who uses a number of different Linux distros on a few different computers. He experiments a lot. He's currently running Ubuntu Dapper on two PC's, SimplyMEPIS on his laptop, and DamnSmallLinux on another, very archaic PC.

The others I know of who use Linux are people I talk to online - 2 girls from the U.S. and a guy from Australia. One girl runs Ubuntu Dapper, the other Kubuntu, and the guy runs Ubuntu Edgy.

Yes, I have found it really handy - especially when I initially loaded Ubuntu on to my laptop and had a few hardware compatibility issues (eg. with the modem, sound, etc). Other than of course using it to sign in as root, I have also used it to update and download some programmes. I'm not hugely proficient using it, but I know some basic commands - it's useful to know how to use, especially when you have a problem that needs fixing that can't be done via a program's GUI. It is good, though, that most people could get away with not having to use the CLI - probably one aspect which makes Ubuntu such a popular distro.

I know it's quite a simple aspect, but I love the two taskbars in Ubuntu.I haven't found this dual system on any other OS thus far, and I think it is a definate reason for why I have chosen this OS over others. I have come to really like having all my most used programs up on the top taskbar, and so available while I have a screen open - in fact, I've customised the Windows on my partition now so that its taskbar is up the top of the screen, too, because I've grown so used to it being there. I like, too, how Ubuntu allows me to have a bottom toolbar that is free to be filled with as many open windows as I like, with the option of multiple desktops - this was SO handy while I was at uni, when writing essays and having 20 or more windows open at the same time.

I partitioned with Ubuntu and WinXP.

To me it means freedom, affordability, creativity and community.

I like that Ubuntu (and Linux more broadly) has such a progressive philosophical outlook. I find it really inspiring that there is such a huge community of people working on making it bigger and better every year, and that most do this for free. It's a real testament to the 'by the people, for the people' and 'from each according to his/her ability, to each according to his/her need' mantras.

glotz
April 5th, 2007, 11:28 PM
1. Why Linux?
Windows and Mac OS are out of question. I've also been wanting to try the BSDs out. I like my freedom. And the freedom of other people too.

Can't remember. Was a looong time ago.

Actually all those 'distros' are the one and same distro, Ubuntu. I only have more experience with GNOME. I've seen KDE and Xfce too.

Mainly it's the fact that I'm in charge. And the fact that Free Software products empower people all over the globe where they cannot afford to buy proprietary software. Also, I'm certain that the open source development model will lead to the best quality code and least security vulnerabilities.

5. Does anyone else you know use Linux.
My mom and my lil bro. :) And the friend who suggested Ubuntu for me.

Extensively. I really don't understand why so many people are so afraid of it. Often it's the fastest way to get a job done.

I like what the word Ubuntu means, the philosophy. Ubuntu is easy to use.

I used to dual boot ******* and Ubuntu for 2 months and then I realized I don't need ******* no more. Ubuntu does it all and does it better. I embraced freedom. I should've done this earlier.

Actually it's GNU/Linux. (Linux is just the kernel, GNU is all the rest) Again, it's power and freedom. Better software. It reinstates my faith in the humankind.

GNU/Linux is standards compliant. GNU/Linux doesn't belong to an evil MegaCorp. GNU/Linux runs your hardware faster than *******. (I have and will have no first hand experience of macs.) GNU/Linux has no malware issues unlike *******. No need to run malware checks. No virus scanner needed. No 3rd party firewalls. No defragging disks. No Genuine Advantage ********. No reboots. No Blue Screens of Death. And the GNU GPL to protect us all.

PurplePenguin
April 5th, 2007, 11:59 PM
1. Why Linux?
I wasn't happy with Windows. Oh, and I've got an old computer (AMD 1200 with 768 RAM) that runs so well with linux that I feel absolutely no need to upgrade!

A long time ago... forget exactly when. But I remember finding a copy of Caldera OpenLinux (I think that's what it was) in a store and buying it. It wasn't the first time I played around with Linux, but it was the first time I actually got it up and running on my machine.

Ubuntu. Gnome all the way. I used to use KDE, up until I switched to Ubuntu, now I can't go back!

I can't stand Windows. I have Windows on one of the four computers on my network. About an hour ago, I booted it up to try the Joost beta. I started watching something and the video started stuttering horribly. Then I realized that my antivirus was doing its check. I shut it off, two minutes later, more problems. Windows did an automatic update and popped up a "Restart now or later" window. Watched some video, then more problems... ZoneAlarm wanted to update itself. Then Windows autoupdater asked AGAIN if I wanted to restart now or later. It all reminded me of exactly how much I hate Windows. :)

Macs are great and I recommend them to people all the time. Secure, no viruses, easy to use... they're fantastic. But they don't give me enough freedom. I like to tinker, build lots of things from source, play around with new window managers and stuff like that... Mac doesn't let me play with the level of freedom I enjoy.

Everybody in my family does, since they told me to do whatever was necessary to their computers to stop getting viruses. :)

Only about 20 times a day. :)

Ubuntu is incredibly easy to use, but the best thing by far is the community (that's you guys! Way to go!!!).

100% Linux on three of four machines in my network. One is a duallie.

Freedom!

It's incredible how far Linux has come in such a short period of time. I can't wait to see what's ahead for us!

Pikestaff
April 6th, 2007, 03:36 AM
1. Why Linux?
Because I wanted to learn more about computers, and because I like the Open Source ideals, and because I'm kind of a geek ;)

I can't remember... I think it must have been about five years ago, my brother showed me this thing he had downloaded called "Knoppix", heh, it seemed so strange to me at the time. I figured it was one of those things that I would never be smart enough to use and put it in the back of my mind until a year or so back when I seriously started to consider it as an alternative to Windows.

I use Kubuntu, KDE! Mostly because it seems to work the best on my computer. And KDE is very customizable.

Yes, I like it much better than Windows. Windows isn't Open Source and it isn't free. Also the more I think about it, the more... cluttered, I guess, Windows seems to me. I can't stand using it anymore.

After I started using Linux and talking about how much I loved it, two of my friends installed it as well. I didn't even have to say "Hey you guys should try it out", they did of their own accord because they wanted to see what I liked so much about it. They both installed Ubuntu and as far as I'm aware they're still using it; one of them's even testing Feisty. 8)

Yes, I use it all the time! I prefer it over the GUI a lot of the time.

Ubuntu has an amazing community and is a rock solid distro!

I tried to at first, but it didn't work out so I said "Ah, what the heck" and went straight Linux. I haven't had any regrets.

It means free as in freedom. I love everything it stands for and I love the community.

Our mascot is the cutest ;)

userundefine
April 6th, 2007, 03:46 AM
1. Why Linux?

Because I agree with the philosophy behind GNU. Because I dislike Windows, its license and its technical limitations.

When I was younger I heard of it as a hax0r's OS. It intrigued me later though as an alternative to Windows.

Ubuntu (meaning all of its DE derivatives) is a really nice, polished distro. I've tried a lot since 2004, first SUSE, then Mepis, then Mandrake (now Mandriva), later Gentoo... settled on Ubuntu.

Yes. First, as I said, I prefer its philosophy. Second, I find it technically superior which I enjoy and it gives me more options to make the OS *mine*, and not something I'm just licensing.

A philosophy professor, and I am trying it out on my mom.

Yes, more and more each day. I've started to prefer it to the GUI for tasks since it's much faster.

Ease of use and upkeep.

My desktop still has windows on it because I like to play counter strike. My laptop is only Linux.

It means I can read the source code if I want to. It means I have the freedom to see how everything works. It means that I share in the freedom that so many other people around the world do.

TheMono
April 6th, 2007, 03:59 AM
1. Why Linux?

Why not? Heh. Originally, it was because my Windows on my laptop kept randomly dying. Ubuntu worked perfectly though. I then got so attached to it that I now use it as my primary OS on my desktop too.

Actually, it was a ShipIt CD for Breezy sitting on a store counter! Who says ShipIt doesn't work.

I enjoy them all. Kubuntu on my desktop at the moment and Ubuntu on my laptop. I'm thinking of switching my laptop to Xubuntu though to get the speed.

Yes. It seems more intuitive to me, the support I can get is superior. The concept of repositories is brilliant, the visual effects are purdy, Plug and Play USB is ACTUALLY Plug and Play, the command line allows me to fix things as per instructions without lists of confusing 'click here, here, here, open this menu, and change this setting' - it becomes 'paste sudo whatever whatever into a terminal'. You don't even need to know what the instruction does if you don't want to (as long as you trust the source!)

Half my flat does, and many more of my friends are on my case to install it so they can get Beryl!

For some things. Dist-upgrades I do, editing config files in nano, and troubleshooting, but that is about it.

Stuff working out of the box.

Yes, I do dual boot my desktop so that I can play win only games. My laptop does dual boot in theory, but booting to windows no longer works as the partition is dead.

Simple, fast, safe, and easy. What more could you want? Combine those things, and you get efficient.

See question 4.

centyx
April 6th, 2007, 08:32 PM
1. Why Linux?
Free, as in speech and beer ( in Ubuntu's case )

Chatting on IRC

3. Which distribution do you prefer Ubuntu, Kubuntu, Xubuntu (anything else...) and which desktop environment (KDE or GNOME)?
Ubuntu, Gnome over KDE, but I fluctuate between Enlightment, Xfce, Fluxbox, and Gnome.

Yes. ( than Microsoft OSes. have not used Mac OSX )
- Free, as in speech and beer ( in Ubuntu's case )
- Easier to customize, configure, troubleshoot, harden, and modify
- All software I need is freely and readily obtainable from a centralized source via one simple command or a graphical user interface ( in the case of most major Linux distributions )
- Is aesthetically pleasing
- More reliable ( when used as a server )
- Wide range of uses/applications - from embedded network devices/appliances to handhelds to desktops to servers

Yes

Yes

- dedication to Open Source/Free Software
- package management/distribution
- default system layout/configuration
- tools available to build minimal base systems
- tools available to mass install large number of systems
- timely security updates and bugfixes
- frequent/consistent product releases ( large reason why I have migrated from Debian to Ubuntu )
- up to date software packages ( another large reason why I have migrated from Debian to Ubuntu )
- large community
- commercial support available

Half Linux and half free space in case I need it in a bind ( you never know when you'll need an extra partition on your desktop machine)

For me, Linux provides the freedom and power to excel in the workplace and have a lot of fun everywhere else.

I recognize that currently there are tasks for which one OS is better equipped than another, but I look forward to a day when Linux will be the best choice in all areas.

reacocard
April 6th, 2007, 10:11 PM
1. Why Linux?
Free, both as in beer and as in speech. Exceptionally stable and secure. Infinitely customizable. HUGE quantities of free software.

I don't remember.

Ubuntu, running a custom Xsession with Beryl/Emerald/AWN/Affinity/Screenlets/etc. If I had to pick a DE I'd probably go with GNOME, but XFCE is very nice too.

Heck yes. See question 1, and also the community support is just incredible.

Yes, but not many. Fewer than a dozen.

All the time. I'll frequently have several terminals open, and the consoles also see a fair bit of use.

This community.

Initially a dual-boot, but I went pure linux less than 6 months later.

The ability to learn, have fun and get things done, all at the same time.

Runs on just about anything, be it PC, Mac, TiVo, Xbox or iPod.
Absolute control: your system does exactly what you want, whatever that may be, not just what some dev in Redmond thinks you want.