PDA

View Full Version : Your nationalities?

plb
April 5th, 2007, 02:02 AM
French, German, & Italian here. How about everyone else? Yes, I'm bored tonight :lolflag:

darweth
April 5th, 2007, 02:21 AM
My mother's family is Andalusian and Catholic.
My father's family is half Polish and half Lithuanian. Also, Jewish.

I usually only mention the Andalusian part if someone seriously asks. I totally look Hispanic and it is the only part I've ever slightly identified with.

IYY
April 5th, 2007, 02:30 AM
Born in the USSR (Belarus), but I lost that citizenship when I moved to Israel. Right now I am Canadian and Israeli. Grandmother's family came from Poland.

FoolsGold
April 5th, 2007, 02:39 AM
Father is Greek, Mother is New Zealandish with a small amount of Greek & Welsh, but I was born in Australia.

I don't particularly identify with any nationality though; despite it being the predominant bloodline I certainly don't "act" greek and don't look like it unless someone determines my surname.

weasel fierce
April 5th, 2007, 02:47 AM
Danish by birth and nationality.

plb
April 5th, 2007, 02:48 AM

I usually only mention the Andalusian part if someone seriously asks. I totally look Hispanic and it is the only part I've ever slightly identified with.

You should check out the Ubuntu NY Loco Team :)

rudder
April 5th, 2007, 03:00 AM
My family has been in the U.S. since the mid 1600's... before that, Welsh on my father's side and Irish on my mother's. Once we got here, we had a good mix of places added to our family. I had a German great grandfather and a Cherokee Indian grandmother... I'd say that makes me about as much of a mutt as you can get!

dbbolton
April 5th, 2007, 03:15 AM
french and german

my blood constantly picks on and concedes to itself. (is that called leukemia ?)

nerdman978
April 5th, 2007, 03:17 AM
Yo I'm Irish, Polish, Portuguese, and (sadly) French. But I live in America. Atheist straight up and down like six o' clock.

mand0
April 5th, 2007, 03:22 AM
Brazilian / Argentinian / Italian

dbbolton
April 5th, 2007, 04:01 AM
Yo I'm Irish, Polish, Portuguese, and (sadly) French. But I live in America. Atheist straight up and down like six o' clock.
sadly ? :o

red_five
April 5th, 2007, 08:49 AM
I'd be sad if I were even part French...:lolflag:

That said, I'm Scottish, Cherokee, Algonquin, and probably some English and Welsh thrown in for good measure. All American, I am.

jjbean
April 5th, 2007, 09:23 AM
Irish, Russian, German, and French.

I think that means I drink, get mad, kick the @!*# out of myself, then cry about it. :lolflag:

Spr0k3t
April 5th, 2007, 10:12 AM
The majority of my family are Scottish, but my granmere is totally swede. To this day some of my family still try to grow rocks in the hills of their farmland.

Prior to the 1600s we have some frenchies in our line as well as a bit of dutch. My family still has land in Scotland though... just outside of the great castle town of Edinburgh near the ports on the northeastern shores. There's a few signs up there that still stand in my families name.

jariku
April 5th, 2007, 11:57 AM
I'm Finnish, my mother has Karelian and Russian heritage and my father has Karelian, Polish, Swedish and German heritage.

guitarmaniac
April 5th, 2007, 12:21 PM
Australian!
Bit of Welsh, Italian, possibly some English or Scottish and WAAAAY back some Aboriginal (and thats much sader than being French nerdman978) :P

beercz
April 5th, 2007, 12:32 PM
British

gabhla
April 5th, 2007, 12:42 PM
Born in the US, but me Ma & Pa - Irish.

tikhonline
April 5th, 2007, 12:55 PM
Ukrainian, Russian and Polish :)

karellen
April 5th, 2007, 02:09 PM
romanian by birth and nationality

azkehmm
April 5th, 2007, 02:11 PM
Funny thing is... a lot of americans are posting here, and not a single one mentioned "american" as their nationality... you lads really lack a historical background ;)

Apart from that... I'm danish. My mother was born on the faroe Islands and claims her family comes from Ireland originally. But she's always been strange, so i don't know if she's right :). My father, on the other hand, comes from a old family of independent peasants on Sealand. He's managed to trace them back to around the 1340es, through old church journals and stuff like that.

kazuya
April 5th, 2007, 02:13 PM
Nigerian / American here !!

Kalixa
April 5th, 2007, 03:41 PM
I'm danish. One of the benefits of being danish is that we get to pay 3 times as much for our cars than anyone else! Luckily I'm not a car freak. ;)

Oki
April 5th, 2007, 04:48 PM
Its cheaper to buy a car in Denmark then in Norway... The price of one 6pack with bears in Norway gives 24 bears in Denmark... Dont whine:)

mand0
April 5th, 2007, 04:54 PM
Funny thing is... a lot of americans are posting here, and not a single one mentioned "american" as their nationality... you lads really lack a historical background ;)

Well, it COULD be, as in my case, that our families are immigrants and we just live in the US. My family has had no children born in the US but this will change in August of this year.

PartisanEntity
April 5th, 2007, 04:57 PM
Ladies and gents, I know I am being pedantic, but 'nationality' is what's on your passport, not what 'blood' or 'origins' you think you might have.

tokj
April 5th, 2007, 05:03 PM
Italian citizen, but slovene nationality, meaned as ethnicity (local minorance).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nationality :P

bonzodog
April 5th, 2007, 06:26 PM
I'm as British as can be, my family were landed gentry in the Uk with family manor and lands until the 1960's. A great uncle who inherited the estate drank and gambled it all away, and was forced to sell it to the local council, who promptly sold it to a brewery, who converted it into a pub and restaurant.

I emigrated to Ireland myself about 3 years ago. Family all still live in the UK.

azkehmm
April 5th, 2007, 06:35 PM
Well, it COULD be, as in my case, that our families are immigrants and we just live in the US. My family has had no children born in the US but this will change in August of this year.

No... never... ever... noone ever moves from one country to another... It's the truth 'cause the voices in my head told me so...:guitar:

plb
April 5th, 2007, 06:39 PM
Funny thing is... a lot of americans are posting here, and not a single one mentioned "american" as their nationality...

With the state of things in the world today, would you? :lolflag:

Cloudy
April 5th, 2007, 07:05 PM
I am a Real American, fight for the rights of every maaaaaaaaan. :guitar:

SeanWuzHere
April 5th, 2007, 07:07 PM
I am from earth

spinflick
April 5th, 2007, 07:12 PM
We are Borg 8-[

Dual Cortex
April 5th, 2007, 07:16 PM
Colombian.

hartl_vienna
April 5th, 2007, 07:16 PM
A Bit of German, Slovene, Croatian and Bohemian. A typical Austrian! :)

Dragonbite
April 5th, 2007, 07:24 PM
An American-mutt ;) (which means no Native American Indian blood in these veins I know of)

About 50% Slovak (f) (with a hint of Russian) and 50% English (m) (with a hint if Irish)

Slovak side (Great-grandparents? great-great-grandparents?) came through Ellis Island and into the coal mines of PA
English side came over who-knows-when, but used to own a plantation in the South somewhere, until some time after the Civil War.

My children also includes about a 1/4 Hungarian and 1/4 European mix

darweth
April 5th, 2007, 07:36 PM
Ladies and gents, I know I am being pedantic, but 'nationality' is what's on your passport, not what 'blood' or 'origins' you think you might have.

;) Certain Basques, Catalans, Corsicans, Flemish folk, etc. might not agree with that. I don't want to get into a political debate though.

inimesekene
April 5th, 2007, 07:45 PM
Estonian here! :)

zetaz7680
April 5th, 2007, 07:46 PM
Bengali FTW!!!

laxmanb
April 5th, 2007, 07:46 PM
does it matter?

ahaslam
April 5th, 2007, 07:48 PM
English, Irish & French ;)

chinita96
April 5th, 2007, 09:26 PM
Chinese Jamaican ... and American I guess since I was born here. I would be more proud to be American if *ahem* a certain somebody wasn't our president right now. But that's another topic.

What about languages? Does anyone know their ancestor's language as well? For example, I'm too americanized I was never taught chinese as a kid, so unfortunately I don't speak it. But I've been trying to learn it's just a hard language. But I did study Irish Gaelic for 9 months (surprisingly) and I can speak Spanish having grown up in Miami. I also know very very very little - and by this I mean literally hello, good bye, please, and thank you - in German, French, Dutch, Mandarin and Italian. I find it interesting that some people know their backgrounds but can't speak the language.

I'm one of them but I'm trying to fix that. Even though Mandarin is not really my family language, it's a different dialect of Chinese called Hakka. But it's hard to find somewhere to learn that. So I keep trying to learn Mandarin instead.

Just wondering if anyone spoke any other languages...

Christine

tommy1987
April 5th, 2007, 09:30 PM
I am English

Somenoob
April 5th, 2007, 09:40 PM
Kazakh

dbbolton
April 5th, 2007, 09:40 PM
does it matter?
of course !

how else are you going to judge people ? merit ?!

BWF89
April 5th, 2007, 11:49 PM
I'm American.

My Moms side of the family came here a few generations ago from Poland. My Dads side came over from Switzerland a few generations ago.

But if someone asked me what my ansestory is I say American. I don't consider myself Polish or Swiss because I've never been to those countries, know anything about them, and have been here for a few generations that any Polish or Swiss blood I would have has been pretty much diluted with people of other European races.

fuscia
April 5th, 2007, 11:53 PM
american

darkhatter
April 6th, 2007, 01:34 AM
Mom and Dad both from Jamaica, but I was born in Canada so I guess I'm Canadian

some_random_noob
April 6th, 2007, 03:43 AM
I'm from New Zealand and so are both of my parents - woot for the tech-illiterate country which is behind the rest of the world!!!!!

... I guess I'm the only active New Zealander here?

alpopel
April 6th, 2007, 04:25 AM
im german but currently livin in chile. so im half-chilean :P

jamboarder
April 6th, 2007, 06:39 PM
All Jamaican. Ancestry is primarily Akan and English.

jgrabham
April 6th, 2007, 07:08 PM
15/16 English 1/16 swedish

:-)

jariku
April 6th, 2007, 07:33 PM
What about languages? Does anyone know their ancestor's language as well?
I speak some Swedish, German and Russian, and I'm going to try to get into the local university next year to study Slavonic Philology (which includes Russian and Polish language studies also). So, with any luck, eventually I'll know how to speak all languages my immeadiate forebears spoke.

My mother used to speak Russian when she was a child, but she doesn't speak it anymore. :(

Kingsley
April 6th, 2007, 07:36 PM
My parents are Nigerian. I speak a little of the language, Igbo.

MrHorus
April 6th, 2007, 07:42 PM
Scottish, although possibly of Irish descent.

skwishybug
April 6th, 2007, 10:16 PM
Canadian... eh!

Rutabega
April 6th, 2007, 11:33 PM
Welsh

BOBSONATOR
April 6th, 2007, 11:39 PM
Persian/a drop of russian?

kodoku
April 7th, 2007, 04:50 PM
Taiwanese/Chinese

I speak Mandarin

slider2800
April 7th, 2007, 04:50 PM
Hungarian.

EdThaSlayer
April 7th, 2007, 05:28 PM
Sudanese/Dutch :)

aeto
April 7th, 2007, 05:43 PM
Nationality? Singaporean.

I'm aghast at the kind of replies made in the early posts :lol:

Specie: 50% Indian 30% German 20% Malay

karachuonyo
April 7th, 2007, 05:46 PM
of course !

how else are you going to judge people ? merit ?!

very true, i'm always taken as an immigrant when i go to support the england national team proudly wearing england colours.:confused:

elephant007
April 7th, 2007, 06:47 PM
Texan!

I was born in Copenhagen Denmark, born an American Citizen because my father was in the US Air Force. My father is of Mexican decent born in the US. My mom is from Sevilla Spain.

xiangpeng
April 7th, 2007, 06:49 PM
Singaporean

RAV TUX
April 7th, 2007, 07:25 PM
Texan!

I was born in Copenhagen Denmark, born an American Citizen because my father was in the US Air Force. My father is of Mexican decent born in the US. My mom is from Sevilla Spain.

My family has been in the U.S. since the mid 1600's... before that, Welsh on my father's side and Irish on my mother's. Once we got here, we had a good mix of places added to our family. I had a German great grandfather and a Cherokee Indian grandmother... I'd say that makes me about as much of a mutt as you can get!Nationalities,....Interesting and complex question, I will try to simplify it a bit....

naˇtionˇalˇiˇty n. pl. naˇtionˇalˇiˇties 1. The status of belonging to a particular nation by origin, birth, or naturalization.
2. A people having common origins or traditions and often constituting a nation.
3. Existence as a politically autonomous entity; national independence.
4. National character.
5. Nationalism.

hm();Sources=Sources | 2;The American HeritageŽ Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition

I am Sephardi....going further back historically I am of the tribe of Israel

Seˇpharˇdi n. pl. Seˇpharˇdim A descendent of the Jews who lived in Spain and Portugal during the Middle Ages until persecution culminating in expulsion in 1492 forced them to leave.

[Medieval Hebrew shttp://img.tfd.com/hm/GIF/schwa.gifphttp://img.tfd.com/hm/GIF/amacr.gifraddî, Spaniard, from shttp://img.tfd.com/hm/GIF/schwa.gifphttp://img.tfd.com/hm/GIF/amacr.gifrad, Spain, adoption of Hebrew shttp://img.tfd.com/hm/GIF/schwa.gifphttp://img.tfd.com/hm/GIF/amacr.gifrad, placename of disputed location (mentioned at Obadiah 20).]
Seˇpharhttp://img.tfd.com/hm/GIF/prime.gifdic adj.
hm();Sources=Sources | 2;The American HeritageŽ Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
Israel: Isˇraˇel 2
1. An ancient kingdom of Palestine founded by Saul c. 1025 b.c. After 933 it split into the Northern Kingdom, or kingdom of Israel, and the kingdom of Judah to the south. Israel was overthrown by the Assyrians in 721.
The American HeritageŽ Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition

Historically my family has also lived in the US since the 1600's, my family came from Spain to the "New World" via Amsterdam. I also have Native American blood.

I also am a Texan:).....but have become a naturalized Oregonian.

elephant007
April 8th, 2007, 08:55 PM
I also am a Texan:).....but have become a naturalized Oregonian.

By the definition you gave, I would be Danish by origin, American by birth!
Had to throw in my heritage too...

william_nbg
December 21st, 2008, 12:08 PM
I am a Minnesotan, but have been living in Germany for many years. Though, I try to make it home once a year.

xpod
December 21st, 2008, 01:50 PM
Brit........Scottish:)

djsroknrol
December 21st, 2008, 01:57 PM
First generation Hungarian American here..soaking up the desert sun on his birthday...:)

:popcorn:

billgoldberg
December 21st, 2008, 02:26 PM
I'm Flemish first, then Belgian.

upapilot
December 21st, 2008, 03:08 PM
Father and mother indian....I am British by birth but Indian by Nationality:P

bobbocanfly
December 21st, 2008, 04:48 PM
Scottish. Well .. technically that means I'm British, but meh, Scottish.

MikeTheC
December 21st, 2008, 05:22 PM
Gallifreyan.

And man, wait until you see what's in Ubuntu 11.04. Mmm... Good stuff... :p

Grant A.
December 21st, 2008, 05:24 PM
I was born in America and so is the rest of my family as far as I can track it back (~100 years).

My heritage is Scottish and English. My Grandma had originally said that she was part Cherokee, not sure how reliable that info was, though.

billgoldberg
December 21st, 2008, 05:46 PM
Gallifreyan.

And man, wait until you see what's in Ubuntu 11.04. Mmm... Good stuff... :p

Lol.

venator260
December 21st, 2008, 05:57 PM
I'm another American mutt. The largest part of me is German, since a large amount of German people settled in one area around me and married other German people since the 1830's. I also am 1/8 Dutch, as well as some Irish and English thrown in.

As for the languages, my grandmother knows a few curse words in Dutch, but that's about it. I would like to learn German, but that seems like it would only be useful in Germany, and it seems as though many Germans know English anyway, so I wouldn't be bridging any communication gaps with it.

mips
December 21st, 2008, 06:28 PM
People don't seem to understand what 'nationality' means. Most replies are off topic.

SuperSonic4
December 21st, 2008, 06:34 PM
3/4 English
1/4 Irish

Although I'm actually English as said on my birth certificate

toupeiro
April 6th, 2009, 07:06 AM
I'm an American and Brasilian national by true definition, meaning I maintain citizenships and have passports for both countries.

My American heritage is a conglomeration of Welsh, Irish, Native American and there is supposedly some English royalty bloodlines way back somewhere, but I've never investigated back that far.

Outside of being Brasilian, the only heritage outside of that would be Scottish. I still have family living there with the last name Drummond, obviously coming from the Drummond clan of the high lands in Scotland! Genealogy is interesting to me!

elliotn
April 6th, 2009, 07:43 AM
Mom and Dad are both from Mocambique, I was born In South Africa, Our family moved to South African as Mocambique was in a Civil War

lisati
April 6th, 2009, 08:02 AM
New Zealander by birth, Dutch on my dad's side, British/Scottish on my mum's side, Samoan on my in-laws' side, and have been known to hang out with some Maori from time to time.

does it matter?
Of course it does: it's a big part of who you are.

I'm from New Zealand and so are both of my parents - woot for the tech-illiterate country which is behind the rest of the world!!!!!

... I guess I'm the only active New Zealander here?
Kia ora! Kei te pehea koe?
(or, if you like, "Talofa. O a mai 'oe?")

racerraul
April 6th, 2009, 08:10 AM
With the state of things in the world today, would you? :lolflag:

Hell yes!!!!

Proud US American Citizen... no shame what so ever to admit it.
I wear my pride through thick & thin. No fair weather fan, here.

Spanish\Puerto Rican in blood. US American from birth!
Speak, write & read my English just as good as my Spanish.

Naz_Farooq
April 6th, 2009, 08:10 AM
My Mother & Father are Pakistani by birth and so do I. Now I have moved to United Arab Emirates.

villainy
April 6th, 2009, 08:13 AM
1/2 Filipino
1/4 French Canadian
1/4 German

I was born in the Philippines and raised in the US.

alien-377h
April 6th, 2009, 08:38 AM
am a Mauritian

markusf21
April 6th, 2009, 08:45 AM
Well lets see, I am 29. I moved to the US 20 years ago. My birth certificate, passport, and greencard all say I'm German. MY Blood says I'm half German and half English. And yes I speak both languages, but my English is better.

megamania
April 6th, 2009, 08:45 AM
I'm Italian.

[OT:Even if there's an italian version of Ubuntuforums, the original ubuntuforums.org is the only linux forum I hang around in. I have a particular gratitude because they helped me getting rid of windows almost 5 years ago]

Sealbhach
April 6th, 2009, 10:06 AM
I hold a passport issued by the Minister for Foreign Affairs of the Government of Ireland.

CraigPaleo
April 6th, 2009, 10:23 AM
I'm an American of German, Swedish, and English descent.

This thread sounds awfully familiar. Is there a way to tell if I've posted in a thread without reading every post? A tell-tale icon or something?

Edit: Just remembered I can search the thread by username. Duh!

billgoldberg
April 6th, 2009, 10:46 AM
Belgian.

Snappo
April 6th, 2009, 12:04 PM
Scottish.

Sealbhach
April 6th, 2009, 01:01 PM
This thread sounds awfully familiar. Is there a way to tell if I've posted in a thread without reading every post? A tell-tale icon or something?

We had one about "what race are you?". This one is about nationality.

People are mixing up the two concepts.

Orlsend
April 6th, 2009, 01:21 PM
Venezuelan here :D

carl_pr
April 6th, 2009, 01:32 PM
Lot of people mention whats in there blood but i think your nationality is where you was born, if you were born in america you are american not irish/french/russian whatever.

Anyways i am Puerto Rican, living in Puerto Rico and proud.

happysmileman
April 6th, 2009, 02:45 PM
Irish.

CraigPaleo
April 6th, 2009, 03:22 PM
Lot of people mention whats in there blood but i think your nationality is where you was born, if you were born in america you are american not irish/french/russian whatever.

Anyways i am Puerto Rican, living in Puerto Rico and proud.

I believe the confusion is due to the American colloquialism of that question. Usually, when Americans ask that of each other, they actually mean, "what's your ancestry or lineage," which is why I answered the way I did and you see multiple answers from most Americans and single answers from most of the others.

Perhaps this thread should be started over with the proper international terminology that would be understood by everyone.

Anthon
April 6th, 2009, 03:32 PM
I believe the confusion is due to the American colloquialism of that question. Usually, when Americans ask that of each other, they actually mean, "what's your ancestry or lineage," which is why I answered the way I did and you see multiple answers from most Americans and single answers from most of the others.

Perhaps this thread should be started over with the proper international terminology that would be understood by everyone.
When was there ever (a part of) Ireland part of America? I know that the Russians sold Alaska to the USA, but I am not sure if that was seen as colony or part of Russia proper.
France had afaik only colonies and never a part in America that was considered France.
But Ireland?

Americans (for me) include the citizens of the *current* bunch of countries Argentinians, Bolivians, Mexicans, Canadians etc. Not the countries that once 'owned' part of America (or still do like the Carribian colonies of England, France, The Netherlands etc)

CraigPaleo
April 6th, 2009, 03:47 PM
When was there ever (a part of) Ireland part of America? I know that the Russians sold Alaska to the USA, but I am not sure if that was seen as colony or part of Russia proper.
France had afaik only colonies and never a part in America that was considered France.
But Ireland?

Americans (for me) include the citizens of the *current* bunch of countries Argentinians, Bolivians, Mexicans, Canadians etc. Not the countries that once 'owned' part of America (or still do like the Carribian colonies of England, France, The Netherlands etc)

I think you're being facetious or you didn't understand what I was saying. I can't really tell. At any rate, what adjective and noun would you propose we use for a citizen of the U.S.A. if not "American"?

smackheadz
April 6th, 2009, 04:00 PM
just english in my immediate family ):P

Swagman
April 6th, 2009, 04:02 PM
Terran (Neighbourhood of Sol)

tracey__
April 6th, 2009, 10:30 PM
British.

mamamia88
April 6th, 2009, 10:48 PM
American

krakk2k
April 6th, 2009, 10:50 PM
swedish living in florida =}

Mr-Biscuit
April 6th, 2009, 11:22 PM
Portuguese, Spaniard, Scot, Italian, Jew, Guarani.
And I'm pasty white. Jokingly refer to myself as "Hispanic Lite" and "Spanglaguese."
Oh, sorry.
Brazilian and American.

So Tough
April 6th, 2009, 11:37 PM
http://f.imagehost.org/0653/port.jpg

MikeTheC
April 7th, 2009, 12:11 AM
People don't seem to understand what 'nationality' means. Most replies are off topic.

My mistake. You're absolutely right.

Ok, folks, for those of you still confused:

This is an example of "species" (and is not what this thread is about):

http://img19.imageshack.us/img19/2448/humanusdomesticus.png

What this thread is about is nationalities, such as:

http://thatmagicalnight.files.wordpress.com/2007/05/latvian-fan.jpg

Latvian

http://tomgpalmer.com/wp-content/uploads/legacy-images/German%20Flag.jpg

German

http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/Haven/1538/polish3_1.gif

Polish

http://whatscookingamerica.net/History/Sandwiches/PhillyCheesecake2.jpg

Philadelphian

Got it now? Thanks!

uc50_ic4more
April 7th, 2009, 01:13 AM
Canadian here; but my (disturbingly shallow) gene pool is entirely from the Scottish highlands.

ninjapirate89
April 7th, 2009, 01:20 AM
I am part French, part Polish, and part whatever-else.

kk0sse54
April 7th, 2009, 01:24 AM
swedish living in florida =}

Same here ;)

dragos240
April 7th, 2009, 01:27 AM
Um, I don't know the actual percents, but i have Irish, Norwegian, and French in me, and possibly others.

Sealbhach
April 7th, 2009, 02:02 AM
http://whatscookingamerica.net/History/Sandwiches/PhillyCheesecake2.jpg

Philadelphian

Got it now? Thanks!

That's made me feel very hungry... just looking at it. I think you'd have to lie down for a while after eating that.

Firestem4
April 7th, 2009, 02:05 AM
I am full German. (Actually yes I am. lol) Both of my parents are from Germany and their Ancestors stretch back from the Germanic Tribes. RAWR!

Sealbhach
April 7th, 2009, 02:11 AM
I am full German. (Actually yes I am. lol) Both of my parents are from Germany and their Ancestors stretch back from the Germanic Tribes. RAWR!

All the way back to Arminius? He was badass.

Firestem4
April 7th, 2009, 02:12 AM
All the way back to Arminius? He was badass.

I have no idea about that extent. I have my family tree somewhere around here. Its quite extensive and accurate, However...misplaced.

Kingsley
April 7th, 2009, 02:15 AM
Born to Nigerian parents in America.

divague
April 7th, 2009, 02:33 AM
Bolivian

carl_pr
April 7th, 2009, 02:51 AM
I think you're being facetious or you didn't understand what I was saying. I can't really tell. At any rate, what adjective and noun would you propose we use for a citizen of the U.S.A. if not "American"?

he is right, americans include canada, mexico, US, all countries of central aand south america and all caribbean but for some reason US people are known as americans, i see that as wrong but baah what other way you can call them?

bgerlich
April 7th, 2009, 02:55 AM
Silesian

vieux
April 7th, 2009, 04:19 AM
born in Fiji, lived most of me life in New Zealand. Am pretty much a mongrel mix of indian and nepalese, but never been to those places :)

Skorzen
April 7th, 2009, 04:21 AM
True Portuguese, as long as my entire family is made out of Portuguese people.

lisati
April 7th, 2009, 04:24 AM
born in Fiji, lived most of me life in New Zealand. Am pretty much a mongrel mix of indian and nepalese, but never been to those places :)

Ni sa bula vinaka! (Unless I'm mistaken, that's "kia ora" to the rest of the world)

ianto`
April 7th, 2009, 10:58 AM
I was born in Wales, I have lived in Wales for the majority of my life and I have a very strong connection with my native country. For several generations now, my family have been Welsh.

I am a Welshman.

Kosimo
April 7th, 2009, 11:02 AM
I am Catalan.

macogw
April 7th, 2009, 11:10 AM

Er...Catholic isn't an ethnicity/nationality. It's a religion.

Nationality: USA
Ethnicities: Irish, Italian, Austrian, and Jugoslavijan.

sisco311
April 7th, 2009, 03:56 PM
d'oh, this terms are confusing me. :)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nationality

nationality/citizenship: Romanian
ethnicity: Magyarized Swabian :p

sisco311
April 7th, 2009, 04:09 PM
Er...Catholic isn't an ethnicity/nationality. It's a religion.

So Catholic Andalusian is not an ethnicity (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ethnic_group), but Yugoslavian (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yugoslavia) is?
:-k

gedas0220
April 7th, 2009, 04:14 PM
I am Lithuanian 8)

Kosimo
April 7th, 2009, 04:14 PM
d'oh, this terms are confusing me. :)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nationality

nationality/citizenship: Romanian
ethnicity: Magyarized Swabian :p

Nationality doesn't necessary have to be related to citizenship.
The best way to define it is:
State = A geographical area with borderlines that defines a territory under some specific sovranity.
Nation = A group of citizens located in a land that shares same culture, history, language and all of them feel part of the same ethnicity.

Catalonia for example is a nation without state that is located in four different states, (Spain, France, Andorra and Italy).