PDA

View Full Version : Sorry - I know this is a delicate subject but....

silkstone
April 5th, 2007, 12:34 AM
.... I'm a newbie to Ubuntu and (before I read any of the warnings) I installed Automatix 2 to get some of the extra codecs. That's all I've used it for.

I have no further use for it, and if I were starting again I would do it the 'proper' way. So is it possible to uninstall Automatix without removing the codecs that it installed?

Once again - sorry for posting this in here, but I didn't want to upset anyone by asking the question elsewhere.

Thanks.

DoctorMO
April 5th, 2007, 12:36 AM
When automatixs installs anything it installs them to the system no to some special automatics installed whasit. uninstall it if you wish it won't touch anything it's installed so far.

I kind of liked what amarok did, I asked it to play an mp3 on a fresh install and it asked me if I wanted to install the mp3 codecs; then it went away installed them and then relaunched amarok with mp3 support. very nice.

silkstone
April 5th, 2007, 12:45 AM
Cheers DoctorMO. I'll get rid of it. I hear that Feisty offers to install codecs if they're not already there, but I'm happy with Edgy and don't want to mess anything up.