PDA

View Full Version : I'm writing a paper about Ubuntu.

Cloudy
April 4th, 2007, 07:37 PM
What points do you guys think I ought to outline? So far what I'm thinking I'll write about is..

Its Debian base,
apt-get
sudo as opposed to su -
release cycles

And what else? I'm not sure.

M$LOL
April 4th, 2007, 07:39 PM
That it's better than Windows.

aysiu
April 4th, 2007, 07:39 PM
Who's your target audience? Tell us more about them.

Cloudy
April 4th, 2007, 07:41 PM
College students with short attention spans. It's just a paper for my linux class. :)

aysiu
April 4th, 2007, 07:43 PM
Well if it's a Linux class, they already know what Linux is, right?

Maybe talk about metapackages, the Desktop CD (v. Alternate or Server CD), the history of Ubuntu and Mark Shuttleworth, the kinds of debates that happen in this community, the different Ubuntu components (Main, Restricted, Universe, Multiverse, etc.).

Cloudy
April 4th, 2007, 07:46 PM
Yeah, they know what linux is - but most of them aren't familiar with Ubuntu or any of the other debian based distros, since we use SuSE Enterprise Server 9 and a few Red Hat distros.

koenn
April 4th, 2007, 07:48 PM
Yeah, they know what linux is - but most of them aren't familiar with Ubuntu or any of the other debian based distros, since we use SuSE Enterprise Server 9 and a few Red Hat distros.
Then tell them what makes Ubuntu different from SuSE and Redhat ... (like : it's more brown :) )

dca
April 4th, 2007, 07:50 PM
I know all my posts generally include this tidbit: Ubuntu is the one Linux distribution that actually offers to clients, users, whatever, the same vers it supports for no charge.

ie: Fedora (stinky) is the free test-bed for the paid vers (RHEL) and same for SLED/SLES (Novell) and openSuSE... With Ubuntu it's the same...

M$LOL
April 4th, 2007, 09:25 PM
Tell them the advantages of Ubuntu, the principals of it being free in both senses, the benefits of it as opposet to Windows, its security etc. Also say that it's one of the planet's most advances OSes, being based on Debian.