PDA

View Full Version : What Do You Love and Hate about Ubuntu?

Softpedia
April 4th, 2007, 02:11 PM
If you ever felt sometimes like you want to say (or just scream) "I LOVE UBUNTU" (I bet you have some Ubuntu stickers in your house) and you did not have the chance or no one heard you, then here is your chance to say what you feel about Ubuntu (and it's derivatives) in general. All the existing, new and wannabe Ubuntu users should unite and make this distribution, THE BEST ever Linux operating system out there; and this way, we can compete with big operating system like Windows and Mac. It's time for Linux users to have a strong, easy to use and powerful desktop operating system, and Ubuntu can help us. Come on people, we can change the future!

Read more here:

http://news.softpedia.com/news/What-Do-You-Love-and-Hate-About-Ubuntu-51188.shtml

And please write below your suggestions and comments. Thank you!

Let's make Ubuntu perfect!

esaym
April 4th, 2007, 03:32 PM
The only thing I don't like about ubuntu, and many other distros, is the update schedule. How can we expect to grab more windows users if every 6 months you have to update to another version?

When I first installed ubuntu dapper I thought it was great. It said I would get many years of support. How nice! However this support does not come in the form of bug fixes or feature enhancements. It is only for security updates and nothing else. I am disappointed that to get some bug fixes, I will have to update to feisty when it comes out.

I had originally hoped that I could keep dapper installed for many years, But because of the lack of support, I can't :(

Kobalt
April 4th, 2007, 04:22 PM
Brown :)

justin whitaker
April 4th, 2007, 04:26 PM
Ubuntu-desktop and (seemingly) arbitrary dependencies.

M$LOL
April 4th, 2007, 04:27 PM
The only thing I don't like about ubuntu, and many other distros, is the update schedule. How can we expect to grab more windows users if every 6 months you have to update to another version?

When I first installed ubuntu dapper I thought it was great. It said I would get many years of support. How nice! However this support does not come in the form of bug fixes or feature enhancements. It is only for security updates and nothing else. I am disappointed that to get some bug fixes, I will have to update to feisty when it comes out.

I had originally hoped that I could keep dapper installed for many years, But because of the lack of support, I can't :(

Agreed. I love Edgy and I don't think I'm gonna upgrade to Feisty (maybe eventually), but that's gonna mean I won't have the support I do now, and even here on the forums eventually virtually everybody will be talking about Feisty, so it'll be harder to get stuff on Edgy etc.

karellen
April 4th, 2007, 04:55 PM
hate: the default colour (a little)....and that's all :)
love: the philosophy, the release schedule, mark shuttleworth (:D), apt-get, THE COMMUNITY, the default package selection, the repos' size

EdThaSlayer
April 4th, 2007, 05:29 PM
I love everything about it and hate the bad drivers ATI offers and the lack of great games.

wrycatcher
April 4th, 2007, 05:32 PM
GOOD:

The freedom and ability to control just about every aspect of my OS. Many choices when it comes to software applications.
Open source software and drivers. A strong online user community, ready to help with just about anything. Lightweight and fast. Intuitive package management. Security model simple yet effective.

BAD:

Lack of many educational software titles. Inferior drivers or unsupported devices. Home network setup and functionality could be better. Takes too much time to do what seems conceptually simple (i.e. particularly certain system or driver configuration).

Softpedia
April 4th, 2007, 06:24 PM
Wonderful! Keep them coming guys! :)

Stone123
April 4th, 2007, 06:29 PM
Short list :

Good :
*It has every program i need
* i know the system
* good community.

Bad:
* Blury fonts on install.

/i hate beryl too. there i sad it even if its not ubuntu.

dca
April 4th, 2007, 06:50 PM
Dont' forget, the six month upgrade dealies are all free. If you want longer pay for the product, ie: RHEL or SLED. The good news is you can stick w/ the LTS releases from Ubuntu and only update every eighteen months if that's better for you?

M$LOL
April 4th, 2007, 07:36 PM
Agreed. I love Edgy and I don't think I'm gonna upgrade to Feisty (maybe eventually), but that's gonna mean I won't have the support I do now, and even here on the forums eventually virtually everybody will be talking about Feisty, so it'll be harder to get stuff on Edgy etc.

I forgot to say LOVE:

Everything.

DigitalDuality
April 4th, 2007, 08:14 PM
d

Hendrixski
April 4th, 2007, 08:18 PM
Love the community.

I had tried Linux a few times before, and used Solaris UNIX for a while. But never felt like I had a reason to stay with it... Ubuntu forums, the IRC room, Ubuntu conferences, etc. etc. all make me feel like I'm part of something.

Oh yeah, and the software is really good. :-)

wuzzerd
April 4th, 2007, 08:43 PM
Ubuntu is one of the easier Linux distributions to install. I've used it to introduce some frustrated friends to Linux, most of them use it now as their main O/S.

Biochem
April 5th, 2007, 03:31 AM
Love:

All of those who take the time to answer questions or asked them. Your generosity make all noob life easier.
Very fast on my PIII :popcorn:
The terminalHate

Lack of some specific scientific software

nerdman978
April 5th, 2007, 03:36 AM
Love!

Gotta love the ability to change themes that easily (for FREE too!)
Lots of free software that runs seemlessly.
Makes me feel and look more smarterer.
Allows me to stick it to the man that slapped $240 stamp on Vista (read my signature).
Who doesn't love Firefox? Honestly!?
I got it due to a long pent up hate of Windows.

Hate! (ugh)

Can't run games that Windows (EVIL) can.
Usually downloadable items don't run like they do on Windows.
there is nothing else to hate UBUNTU RULES!

FoolsGold
April 5th, 2007, 03:44 AM
Love:

The ease of use, even when compared to Windows
Large software repositories
Freedom to do whatever you like
Flexibility
Massive community
Very slick

Hate

Some tasks should be automated if possible (eg. if something breaks during package management and I'm asked to run "dpkg whatever", DO IT FOR ME! You're already sudo'ed, why can't you just do the final step if I give you permission?)
X server needs better GUI configuration; still necessary to modify xorg.conf by hand a lot of the time

dbbolton
April 5th, 2007, 04:00 AM
the only beef i have with ubuntu is problems with sleep/hibernation.

DarkOx
April 5th, 2007, 04:52 AM
Two things keep me with Ubuntu:
1 - Every problem I've had has been encountered before by the community and solved. Can't say the same about other distros.
2 - The ease of installing software and the sheer amount of packages available.

What do I hate?
1 - Long boot up time compared with XP (apparently going to be fixed once Upstart has optimized scripts)
2 - Boot screen flickering all the time (apparently also going to be fixed)
3 - A KDE, not a Kubuntu thing, but I still hate how when I log into Kubuntu, my pager only shows one desktop wallpaper, and will display the "elegant" setting for the others until I specifically go and switch to those desktops.

So of the three things I hate about Ubuntu, two are going to be fixed and one is (I think; Suse does it too) an upstream problem. I'd say that's pretty darn good.

Softpedia
April 5th, 2007, 08:37 AM
Great until now, but we need more comments! Come on people! :)

wrycatcher
April 5th, 2007, 05:21 PM
1. sluggish, both in kde and gnome. even after tweaking with BUM and other tweaks. The speed in which apps open in ubuntu/kubuntu is horrid when compared to fedora, suse, arch, linuxfromscatch, gentoo, etc.. Also, Xubuntu is rather pointless IMO. It's almost as top heavy as Ubuntu.

2. It needs desktop search integrated deeply both in ubuntu and kubuntu. Beagle or Tracker or whatever. I love this in Suse.

3. Ubuntu is not as stable as Suse, Fedora, etc..IMO. I've broken ubuntu far more many times doing a lot less, than i have suse.

You seem to favor Suse in many ways. I'm curious what ways Suse is inferior to Ubunu. Does it balance out?

Ptero-4
April 6th, 2007, 06:48 AM
I like pretty much everything about ubuntu, except that some ISP`s have set some sort of filter in their servers and when they detect you`re on ubuntu (or OSX) they reduce your bandwith, disconnect you or even go as far as ping-flooding your PC to make it go slow.

Ubunted
April 6th, 2007, 07:31 AM

I don't want to sound like a jerk, but I think getting FREE security updates for a FREE operating system for THREE YEARS is pretty good.

What "bug fixes" do you need that affect your everyday computing? Dapper was always rock-solid stable for me, so much so that I continued to use it on my laptop well after Edgy was released - something I have never done before.

eentonig
April 6th, 2007, 07:44 AM
I like pretty much everything about ubuntu, except that some ISP`s have set some sort of filter in their servers and when they detect you`re on ubuntu (or OSX) they reduce your bandwith, disconnect you or even go as far as ping-flooding your PC to make it go slow.

1. Do you have proof of them doing this?
2. Why would they even bother doing this?
3. How would they detect that your doing this?

@esaym: Why do you think you don't get support anymore? After all, it's a long term release...

And even without that. Upgrading really isn't a pain like it is in MS. Hell, you can even keep using your machine while you upgrade.

Floppyjoe
April 6th, 2007, 10:54 AM
the only beef i have with ubuntu is problems with sleep/hibernation.
Me too! I don't get enough of either now that I switched to Ubuntu.:mrgreen:

xpod
April 6th, 2007, 12:44 PM
It`s just over a year now since i sat down at that first pc of ours and about 8 months since discovering Ubuntu and i just love the fact that Ubuntu made our journey into this crazy world sooo much more enjoyable than how it started out.......Jeeez, is that a year already??time really does fly when your enjoying yourself eh:)

I`ve actually learned a whole heap of stuff this last year(more so in the last 8 months of course) although in reality it`s all still just a big mish mash of information rattling around inside that head of mine and it`s of no real use to anyone but myself most of the time.:-k

Doing something is one thing.......understanding it is another eh.

I dont really have any "hates" though and the worst problems i`ve encoutered so far have been my own ignorance and lack of understanding more than anything else.
I did need my hand held those first months when even the most basic of computer terms was still gobbildygook but i can now manage most things i turn my mind to........not ALL but most:)

My only goal a year ago though was to just try and understand some computer(win) basics so i`d at least know what my young un`s were doing as they began using them so as long as i`ve managed that much then i`m a very happy bunny.

nmsmith
April 6th, 2007, 02:48 PM
Bad:
brown default colour
driver support (I have to boot windows to print)
load time of openoffice.org programs

Good:
learning the command line is so much fun
community
security
flexibility (I've got a mythbox doing great fun things downstairs)
themability

Ptero-4
April 7th, 2007, 12:43 AM
1. Do you have proof of them doing this?
2. Why would they even bother doing this?
3. How would they detect that your doing this?

I Changed ISP a month ago, but when I used my prior ISP (Cable & Wireless), I noticed my (at that time dial-up) conection too slow, I ran one of those "conection meters" in my PC and it said that my speed was around 14.4k (that was in OSX in my eMac, hence my modem couldn`t be going at 14.4k as conexant ones do on linux) in my sisters M$C under ******* it ranked 56k full. Just to be sure I reran the test 3 more times on both and the same results (14.4k on OSX, 56k on *******), then I bought the conexant driver (to get full 56k and fax under linux) and ran linux and the test four times, 14.4k on all the runs. Then later when I went DSL (with Cable & Wireless) I ran the test in both machines and the speeds were 56k on my box (both unices scored the same) and 768k (the speed we took in the plan) on the ******* box, ran test 3 more times and the same (dialup speed for my PC, DSL speed for the M$C), I went to ps aux and noticed a rare process (slwmand, IIRC) tried to kill it and the conection gained full DSL speed but after some seconds the process got respawned and it went back to 56k. As for why they do it and how it`s simple. They do it because they have strict agreements with M$ (which they make to be able to give those "sign up for internet and get a free computer" kind of deals) and M$ uses a clause which says that they have to proactivelly keep their client base on *******, and they detect it by using a small app (if it sends an email message back home trough it`s builtin SMTP server the computer runs *******, if it doesn`t it means the computer is running another OS).

esaym
April 7th, 2007, 07:05 PM
I don't want to sound like a jerk, but I think getting FREE security updates for a FREE operating system for THREE YEARS is pretty good.

What "bug fixes" do you need that affect your everyday computing? Dapper was always rock-solid stable for me, so much so that I continued to use it on my laptop well after Edgy was released - something I have never done before.

Yes security is great. But why not just put a little bit more effort into keeping with the times? Dapper will have a lifetime of over 5 years but do you think in 4 years that a new ipod will work with it?

The packages that I think need to be updated are amarok and libgpod because they offer better support for the second generation ipod nano. I also have a problem with konversation. High cpu loads ( like playing a game, or compiling), cause it to crash. Kopete also likes to log on and off of yahoo randomly and therefore annoys the people on my buddy list.

Compared to security updates, these programs would be much simpler to update. I tried to make debs of them but my limited knowledge of programming did not help when compiling failed.

eentonig
April 7th, 2007, 07:29 PM
@Ptero-4

First, I work in Telecom and I can tell you that there could be hundreds of reasons why you were seeing these differences. But, let's assume you are right and they did somehow limit the BW.

For one, it would be technically very challenging to block your pc to a lower value than your sisters, which uses the same connection. But, it's possible.
This leaves us with two options.
1. You were stupid not to read their contract good enough, in which case this is completely your fault.
2. They didn't mention this in the contract, in which case you can sue them because they are not delivering the service you pay for. If this was the case, I'm sure several other linux/Mac users would have experienced the same and someone amongst them would have brought this in the news.

If that was

ahaslam
April 7th, 2007, 07:47 PM
I love the fact that it's easy to use & I hate the fact that it's hard to use.
By this I simply mean that some things seem to be glossed over & can later become overcomplicated.

Ptero-4
April 11th, 2007, 02:16 AM
@Ptero-4

First, I work in Telecom and I can tell you that there could be hundreds of reasons why you were seeing these differences. But, let's assume you are right and they did somehow limit the BW.

For one, it would be technically very challenging to block your pc to a lower value than your sisters, which uses the same connection. But, it's possible.
This leaves us with two options.
1. You were stupid not to read their contract good enough, in which case this is completely your fault.
2. They didn't mention this in the contract, in which case you can sue them because they are not delivering the service you pay for. If this was the case, I'm sure several other linux/Mac users would have experienced the same and someone amongst them would have brought this in the news.

If that was

I did read the contract, and there was nothing like that in there. But I think I`m about the only one here with a non-M$ OS in the whole district. And I don`t think suing them is good b/c they might bring M$ to cover them.

GuitarHero
April 11th, 2007, 04:03 AM
I love that its free in all senses of the word. I hate the inconsistency of ease of use. Somethings are even easier than Windows or OSX to do, while others are much more difficult. It would be great for everything to have a simple GUI option and the terminal route.

Softpedia
April 25th, 2007, 03:18 PM
Come on people, more comments! Now that Feisty is up, you have more reasons to post your feelings about Ubuntu, so the next version to be more close to perfect :)

hequ
April 25th, 2007, 03:52 PM
I've used a few distros like slackware and fedora before, but mostly I've used windows XP until now. Few months back I wanted to try linux again and I'd heard positive thougts about ubuntu. So I grabbed a copy of ubuntu from university and went home installing it.

The first thing I noticed was that how easy the set-up was. The installation progress was fast and the installation itself made almost everything automatically. This surprised me positively. :)

But now I've used Kubuntu and I've really liked it. My favourite thing is the package-manager system. I think it's the easiest way ever to install new software. You just select what you want to install and the system takes care of the dependencies and everything. That really impressed me. :) I really wonder why windows don't have anything like that built-in.. well who cares..

Also the quick system boot-up is what I like. When I was using windows the boot times were horrible. It took many minutes to boot-up into the login screen and after logging in the system continued loading software. I hated that.. With kubuntu it takes few minutes to the login and after logging in the system is ready to surf the web or read mails in 10secs.. That's what I like. :)

These were only few of my thougts.. And sorry for my bad english.. :P

jharbert
May 1st, 2007, 04:30 AM
Being able to put /home on a separate partition has saved me the many times I've had to reinstall Ubuntu (stupid beginner errors). One of the best things about linux in my opinion.

steven8
May 1st, 2007, 04:47 AM
I have not been unhappy with Ubuntu in any way, since I got my ethernet set up. They do need to revisit the way Dapper scanned and handled USB connections for modems. Dapper configured my USB cable modem no sweat, but this fell off in Edgy and Feisty. I filed a bug report, and they assigned it to a dev, but it seems to have been dropped due to the Feisty-crunch!

strabes
May 1st, 2007, 04:48 AM
Good: Freedom, ease of installing software, command line, customization, speed, security.

Bad: ATI Drivers. Bugs in new versions that should not be there that would turn off new users.

phidia
May 1st, 2007, 05:03 AM
I love ubuntu's philosophy, that it's GNU of course, it's beautiful clean default interface and great package management tools.
I don't have any hates about it.
Recently I had to reinstall my feisty install though (my own fault-that it became unbootable-screwed up playing with a livecd. /home is on a separate partition and is ok)
but my backups of the system didn't work, and I've looked in the forums here on system restore backup stradegies (systemrecover cd & partimage) there doesn't seem to be a simple dependable backup and restore program. I'm not talking about sbackup but something that works when the worst happens-and you can't boot or even chroot into your system.

stylofone
June 2nd, 2007, 08:38 AM
LOVE
- The open source philosophy, the feeling that we're participating in toppling an empire and building the future. Even using pirate software is a form of promotion for a proprietary platform, so dumping it completely and going open source is better, and it's legal.

- The fact that the three main file-sharing networks I use - Bittorrent, eMule, and Soulseek, all have excellent clients that work straight away.

- The way it recognised my hardware and installed straight away with no dramas. I was expecting dramas, with things like my Behringer USB audio box. I got none... until I bought a NAS (see HATE below :-/)

- Installing software through either of the drop down menu options. Just magic.

- SOME of the video processing applications, like Avidemux have great features.

HATE
- The idea that the command line is somehow character-building for non-geeks. I personally love it, but I think the GUI needs to offer more, so that the computer-illiterate don't need to worry themselves about it. Honestly, it's a lost cause, and insisting on CLI knowledge will limit the success of this OS.

- Dealing with Samba. Making my NAS mount was a real pain. Editing cryptic text files to configure it is primitive, and then it worked only intermittently, before failing completely. I gave up. I would love to see this become as reliable and easy as it is in 'doze to assign a drive letter to a network location

- The relatively primitive state of music and audio software. It has a long way to go before it catches up with Reason, Acid, Audition, Fruity Loops, Cubase etc.

- A few of my video processing tasks are still best done with 'doze apps. Admittedly it was a nightmare working out how to do it on other OSes too.

- Data DVD burning was not slick. It stumbled over character sets, forced me to use a wacky K app, etc. It's a basic function which should be totally painless.

ezsit
June 2nd, 2007, 10:06 AM
Loves:

1. Easy install on the alternate CD (oh wait, that's just the Debian installer)
2. Large collection of software (thanks to the Debian devs, mostly)
3. Apt-get (also, thanks to Debian)
4. Large collection of pre-configured drivers
5. Brown theme

Hates:

1. Short release cycle, poor quality control
2. Focus on features rather than stability
3. Exponential growth in bugs from one version to the next
4. Updates that break the system
5. Increasingly restrictive Ship-It policies
6. Teenage, fanboy forums
7. New website
8. Planned inclusion of 3D desktop effects that destabilize the system and add NO VALUE
9. Media hype
10. Users who do not realize the relationship between Debian and Ubuntu

All this being said, I recently switched over to Debian Etch and could not be happier. I have a well supported system that is super stable where all my hardware works. I got a system that has all the features of Ubuntu without the bugs and hype.

PartisanEntity
June 2nd, 2007, 10:59 AM
I love the stability and ease of use. I dislike how each release is a frozen snapshot where no new applications are added to the repository.

It would be great if we could create a team of MOTU's specialised in adding new applications and new versions of applications to the repositories, perhaps based on a rating or voting system so that the most popular applications are added and the team is not overwhelmed.

SeanHodges
June 2nd, 2007, 11:36 AM
Loves:

1. Easy install on the alternate CD (oh wait, that's just the Debian installer)
2. Large collection of software (thanks to the Debian devs, mostly)
3. Apt-get (also, thanks to Debian)
4. Large collection of pre-configured drivers
5. Brown theme

Hates:

7. New website
8. Planned inclusion of 3D desktop effects that destabilize the system and add NO VALUE
9. Media hype

All this being said, I recently switched over to Debian Etch and could not be happier. I have a well supported system that is super stable where all my hardware works. I got a system that has all the features of Ubuntu without the bugs and hype.

Most people are well aware that Ubuntu is derived from Debian.

Understand that while Debian is great, and lots of people use it including myself for all sorts of reasons... it is different.

- Many people prefer the short release cycle in order to get more up-to-date software (something that often frustrates me with Debian).

- I've not noticed any exponential growth in bugs, in fact as of Feisty I have only two remaining, both of which I have found easy workarounds and were both due to my hardware and not Ubuntu.

- I don't use 3D desktop effects but I have to say it is one of the single most impressive thing to new Linux users, beyone even the package manager. It's something that you can see immediately, and proves the graphical capabilities of Linux out of the box.

- Whats wrong with the new website? I love it. teenage fanboy forums? You ever read some of the Debian mailing list?!

- Media hype is bad is it? we'll just agree to disagree there ;)

- On a positive note, its good to hear someone else defending the brown theme!

Enjoy Debian though, it's a great OS, just don't expect everyone to agree that it's better than Ubuntu.

mech7
June 2nd, 2007, 03:21 PM
Love:

- Free
- Customizable

Hate:

- Bugs
- Easy to break
- GUI not really impressive.
- Not many good graphic software :(

picpak
June 2nd, 2007, 03:38 PM
This isn't all Ubuntu-related but:

Love:

Free!
As well as, the amount of things I can do for free
No viruses, spyware, etc
Just one CD
Synaptic/apt-get
Practically everything is configurable
Fast
The brown grows on you...
Ubuntu System Panel :p

Hate:

The sad sorry state of most instant messagers
Sound configuration (Lately I've had more and more apps I've had to start with aoss to get any sound working)
What should be incredibly simple tasks in Gnome (changing the main menu's icon, disabling/enabling Home/Computer desktop icons) either end up being incredibly terminal-dependent or completely cumbersome
The lack of a good P2P client that can connect to Gnutella WITHOUT needing Java (no, gIFT doesn't cut it.)
Occasional bugs and breakage

IllegalCharacter
November 20th, 2007, 05:50 AM
http://lovehateubuntu.blogspot.com

SomeGuyDude
November 20th, 2007, 06:21 AM
Hates:

7. New website
9. Media hype

I know this is old, but, uh...

Apparently the Ubuntu people are supposed to ban people from the forums for being too enthusiastic, refuse media attention, and come with a history exam prior to allowing users to install it?

yatt
November 20th, 2007, 07:39 AM
Love
Documentation: Given the differences in target audience, I'd say it is on par with Gentoo's. That is no small feat.
The subtler changes it makes to Gnome: Alacarte, the logout/shutdown screen, etc. Particularly the ones that make it upstream.
The Apt suite.
The community, particularly this forum.
It does a great job for those who stick to mainstream computing.
Generally recognizes that configurability is great, but you shouldn't have to do it.

Hate:
Bug number one.
Needs to come with better themes, and have themes in more than one color. NOTE: I do not mean get rid of brown, but rather put together a few other good themes. Besides Human, Clearlooks, and Glossy, everything is completely outdated. Not everyone wants to waste a day on Gnome-Look
Outside of more mainstream tasks, Ubuntu isn't the most innovative distro. I do not expect a decent Gui for Samba to come from Ubuntu.
Too many derivatives. Ubuntu, KDE Ubuntu, XFCE Ubuntu, Educational Ubuntu, Virtualization Ubuntu, Server Ubuntu, Completely Free Ubuntu, Ubuntu with Codecs, etc. Most of which name their distribution *ubuntu.

black_magician
November 20th, 2007, 08:01 AM
I Love:
The freedom
The community
The eye candy / slickness
That feeling of "this fits me"

I hate:
I can't hibernate.
The lack-luster battery life
I still miss not being able to run some windows programs.
ATI drivers (thats not Ubuntu's fault though)

TeaSwigger
November 20th, 2007, 10:42 AM
Love:

Ah... It lets me use the computer to do my stuff. ;)

So... Like:

The oft-bemoaned "brown" theme. It intrigued me, and sometimes when I'm in the mood, I like to use it.
Goals and intentions I find to be commendable.
Awesome repositories.
The features of KDE.
The relative simplicity of Gnome.
The fact that I can put Fluxbox or some other fine wm's on it with just an apt-get.
The wonderful efforts of the security folks.
The wonderful efforts of the backports folks.
Loads of Debian related things, like aptitude & apt-get, irrespective of SuperCow Powers.
Using sudo.
A community and environment wherein one can freely indulge in being either "geeky" or "I just want it to work!"

Hate:

It's never done anything to anyone to deserve any hate. I know, not what was meant, soo...

Dislike:

hm. Oh! The patchy scanner support. In my case my complaint really lies with HP for not making a linux driver or releasing code so that I could use the product I bought with my choice of OS.

Graphics, sound cards... more of the above I guess.

I would prefer more focus on stability & bugs than features, but that's always a juggling act at best, and lots of other people do desire the latest, flashiest features, features & features.

Menu editing. Gnome or KDE it's... odd.

The proprietary media formats, which ubuntu can do nothing about.

I agree with the sentiments that a GUI for certain aspects (GRUB, xorg) could be very handy, particularly to new users.

Don't seem to be drumming up anything to lay solely at ubuntu's doorstep... :)

I know this is old, but, uh...

Apparently the Ubuntu people are supposed to ban people from the forums for being too enthusiastic, refuse media attention, and come with a history exam prior to allowing users to install it?

heh

timpino
November 20th, 2007, 10:58 AM
Love:
Packagemanagement
Autodetecting of screen resoulution
It's free

Like:
The rest

Dislike:
The installer is to simplified meaning you have a lot of clean up work to do after an install
the theme
configuration of a mouse with more than 3 buttons is way more complicated than it should be
OpenOffice installed by default when AbiWord and Gnumeric is faster and usually enough for home use
Who needs evolution on a home computer, really?
Fonts are to thin for my taste
Screensavers don't work for me, they are choppy for some reason, not that I use them much anyway :P

Hate:
Every nvidia card seems to be supported but mine (GF 440 Go)
Firefox is a dependancy of ubuntu desktop
Utter slow speed of icon and menu drawing on my machines
Suspend/Hibernate and just closing the lid to turn off the display on my laptop freezes it

I do use it on my laptop at the moment and it's ok, but not for my main rig yet.

jespdj
November 20th, 2007, 11:32 AM
Love
The open source philosophy. It's great that the development is done in the open and that it's easy to contact developers or even get the source and fix problems yourself.
Installation is very easy.
Lots of very nice, good quality open source software available.
Good package management system which makes automatic updates and installing or removing software easy.
The look and feel can be easily customized anyway you like.
For software development it's a much nicer OS than Windows.

Six month development cycle.
Compiz desktop effects.

Dislike
Lots of smaller or bigger bugs.
Lack of documentation and lack of clear user interface of some software (for example the UI of Compiz settings manager does not explain at all what all those settings mean).
The Dutch translation. I prefer to use the English version.
Companies like Adobe are not interested at all in Linux. I'm still using Windows because of Photoshop CS3.
The default Human theme.

Hate
GNU Java. Please, instead of installing a slow and incomplete implementation of Java, don't install Java at all... I hope we will get Sun Java installed by default when it becomes 100% open source.