PDA

View Full Version : Should download page should mention Vista issues?

somewhat
April 4th, 2007, 10:50 AM
I recently had a bit of a dumb moment with an install on my new Vista pre-loaded laptop. I reported the bug - https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux-ntfs/+bug/94690 (which reads more like a sob story forum post than a bug report ;) )- a while back now, but seems its not really getting any notice. Basically the issue is that if you currently download the latest release (edgy) and attempt to install on a new machine running Vista and chose to resize your Windows partition you are in for some hurt if you expect to be able to reboot windows ;)

What I was curious about is that is this method of installing not that common? I've always resized/dual booted as there still seems to be the odd moment that I need windows. Looking round in the shops it seems a lot of hardware is coming pre-loaded with Vista now, so surely this could be a common disaster story? I did find some similar experiences in these forums.

Researching ntfsprogs it seems the version currently in Feisty should be able to handle Vista NTFS partitions fine. I guess Feisty is only a few weeks off but to me it still seems its something that should maybe get a mention/warning on the download page?

Jussi Kukkonen
April 4th, 2007, 11:52 AM
I heard filesystems are encrypted by default in Vista (could be wrong, I don't follow Windows news that much). If that is the case it would be quite natural that resizing will fubar the partition...

somewhat
April 4th, 2007, 09:53 PM
Thanks for your reply Jussi, but I think my point is being completely missed here. I'm not wondering why this happens or whether its "obvious" to technically inclined users, but whether anyone thinks seriously about this potential switcher user that is so often bandied around.

There was a lot of talk about linux potentially benefiting from Vista, perhaps picking up users who weren't interested in paying for Vista, or even those who got a new computer and where somewhat underwhelmed by Vista. The latter seems to be a common theme, especially if you look at the recent post on Slashdot about Microsoft being sued for having hardware certified for "Vista" whereas in fact its actually just the basic version which contains none of the "bling" that they have been heavily marketing.

But.. I guess this kind of switcher, the one who discovers Linux off their own back and heads off to the download page of ubuntu to give it a shot is still somewhat of a holy grail for us. Maybe one day :) Still wouldn't hurt to perhaps think a little more of them if thats in fact who ubuntu targets.