PDA

View Full Version : Is There A Difference Between USB 1.1 and USB 2.0 CABLE?

AgenT
June 7th, 2005, 11:22 PM
Is there a difference between a USB 1.1 and USB 2.0 cable? If so, how does one tell between the two? What are the physical differences?

WildTangent
June 7th, 2005, 11:35 PM
Is there a difference between a USB 1.1 and USB 2.0 cable? If so, how does one tell between the two? What are the physical differences?
i dont think theres a difference in the cables, but i could be wrong.

-Wild

K2712
June 7th, 2005, 11:48 PM
This article explains everything but the physical differences. I'm pretty sure they look identical. . .

http://www.viaarena.com/default.aspx?PageID=5&ArticleID=23

AgenT
June 8th, 2005, 12:11 AM
This article explains everything but the physical differences. I'm pretty sure they look identical. . .

http://www.viaarena.com/default.aspx?PageID=5&ArticleID=23

Thank you for the link. However, that does not answer my question at all. I asked about the cable (and just the cable itself), not the tech behind it. I know the differences between USB 1.1 and 2.0 and that was not my question :(

TravisNewman
June 8th, 2005, 12:25 AM
what you're asking is, can you use a usb 2.0 device, a usb2.0 controller, and connect them with a usb 1.1 cable, correct?

I don't know the answer for sure, but I haven't noticed any speed decreases using a 1.1 cable on my gnomad.

AgenT
June 8th, 2005, 02:38 AM
what you're asking is, can you use a usb 2.0 device, a usb2.0 controller, and connect them with a usb 1.1 cable, correct?

I don't know the answer for sure, but I haven't noticed any speed decreases using a 1.1 cable on my gnomad.

Yes, that is exactly what I am asking. If using a so called USB 1.1 cable with USB 2.0 devices (and a USB 2.0) controller is the same thing as using a USB 2.0 cable. Or, even more to my question, whether or not the two cables are exactly the same with just two different names (sort of like other cables in other electronics).

Maybe I should have been more specific as to why I am asking: I have plenty of USB 1.1 marked cables and no USB 2.0 marked cables and have a USB 2.0 device (as well as a USB 2.0 controller) and wanted to know whether or not to bother buying a new cable that is marked USB 2.0.

Thank you to everyone who answered!