PDA

View Full Version : What can you say about the "Firefox Operating System?"

wersdaluv
April 4th, 2007, 07:28 AM
http://www.lifehack.org/articles/technology/firefox-os-why-my-hard-drive-software-are-obsolete.html

I read the article from the link above and was intrigued. It sure makes a lot of sense. Do you think, one day, we really won't be need all these operating system.

If I have a very fast internet connection to the point that accessing local files would be as fast as accessing files online and if better programs are available online, accessing the internet could seem what computing is all about.

What can you say about this?

eentonig
April 4th, 2007, 07:31 AM
You loose control and security. You become dependent on the thrust that the person/company hosting you data is honest and doesn't tamper it or read it.

Personnaly, web based apps are a good thing. But I will always preffer to have a full blown OS and apps on my local machine.

pirothezero
April 4th, 2007, 07:41 AM
I personally have a problem with one company whose obsessed with information theory and data collection, not only knowing who I talk to and what about; but I have a bigger issue with them knowing where I am/what I am doing at all hours of the day.

I am probably paranoid but my experiences dictate my behavior in that aspect.

The concept of web based apps is a great one and I believe thats where the next decade will see happen and I'd eventaully adapt to it as long as as my information can be stored locally on my hard drive and not on a computer farm in California.

PartisanEntity
April 4th, 2007, 09:16 AM
Absolutely terrible. You have no control over how your intellectual property is handled. Money oriented companies will know everything about you, and all governments have to do is piece together the information with the click of a mouse and they too will know everything about you.

In a utopia the idea sounds nice, in our real world and with the threat to civil liberties under the guise of wars on terror this idea is naive.

I can understand it being useful for simple things, unimportant things and trivial things. But to migrate your entire way of working with computers to online services is bad.

karellen
April 4th, 2007, 10:29 AM
I wouldn't like. I want to be in control of my data. local, here on my pc. no on some server in boston or south africa.

insane_alien
April 4th, 2007, 11:03 AM
It tried to sound nice didn't it? I have a question for anybody who wants to use a webOS,

Say hypotheically, your up late at night using a couple of your web apps to write a report/book/whatever that is due in early the next day(like what i was doing a week or so ago) and BAM your internet goes down. your really up a certain creek without a certain propulsion device then aren't you?

me here with my laptop, even the power could go down and i wouldn't be too badly affected. i mean, it would probably increase my work rate since i have a certain affinity to flash games on the web :P

I'll get a web based OS when there is nothing else left and i'm forced at gunpoint. kind of the same situation where i would consider buying vista.

rai4shu2
April 4th, 2007, 12:34 PM
If someone steals your computer, having everything stored on Google's servers would come in handy.

PartisanEntity
April 4th, 2007, 12:39 PM
If someone steals your computer, having everything stored on Google's servers would come in handy.

That's why you make backups. And you don't need a nosy search-engine company to make backups for you.

Jonne
April 4th, 2007, 12:45 PM
never mind, I didn't RTFA ;)

wersdaluv
April 4th, 2007, 12:49 PM
http://weblogs.mozillazine.org/asa/archives/2007/03/a_discussion_is.html

just because some guy posts something on a public mailing list, doesn't make it true. Mozilla has no plans to write their own OS, and other people are already trying what that guy posted. ( http://www.symphonyos.com/ , it's a Linux distro with a desktop environment made completely out of XUL or HTML, I don't remember the details )

Hey. It's not about a mozilla OS. The article is all about depending on the internet instead of your local disks.

wersdaluv
April 4th, 2007, 12:50 PM
That's why you make backups. And you don't need a nosy search-engine company to make backups for you.

How about creating backups on other sites while you have your files in other sites too?

Dragonbite
April 4th, 2007, 04:14 PM
I found it curious that a few years ago a person talking to our computer club said "In about 10 years, the OS you are running will not be an issue." Seems to be moving that way.

Isn't this also the future Sun had talked about years and years ago?

PartisanEntity
April 4th, 2007, 04:31 PM
How about creating backups on other sites while you have your files in other sites too?

Why on Earth would I want to do that? I am not NORAD, or NASA. cd's and hard disks are perfect.

Why on Earth would I want to place my personal files on numerous servers around the world that could be hacked and my data stolen, copied and/or used for other purposes?

I have never lost data that was backed up. My CD's and DVD's never fail, I renew the backups all the time and maintain them. Why do I need to reduce my security by putting my files some other persons or companies server and allow them or others easy access?

The internet is great, don't get me wrong, but I do not trust governments, persons and businesses so I sure as hell won't support or use these 'live your life online and give us your data' services.

If your files are worth millions and billions I would understand having them stored in numerous places and perhaps also in a data storage centre on Mars. But I don't need that, nor do I want it, nor do I think it to be a good trend at all.

Sunflower1970
April 4th, 2007, 04:34 PM
I can see a few uses here and there for having an online OS... such as being able to go anywhere in the world log in to a computer somewhere and have access to everything of your own. But there's a larger possibiltiy for data to be stolen, or wiped out, or tracked...

Just makes me nervous thinking about it...

rai4shu2
April 4th, 2007, 04:37 PM
CDs and DVDs can also be stolen. In fact, they are easier to steal than computers.

PartisanEntity
April 4th, 2007, 04:40 PM
CDs and DVDs can also be stolen. In fact, they are easier to steal than computers.

Yeah, I'm scared someone could steal my personal files: photos of family and friends, couple emails, music, books. Really worth breaking in to my house to do so :)

I am more scared of hackers stealing files from ill managed servers, governments snooping on their people for all kinds of supposedly legitimate reasons, companies stealing your data, using it or marketing it.

Are your really files worth stealing?

Thieves steal things they can sell, can a thief sell your 'uncle bob and his dog' or 'me and jones at the bbq' pictures? Perhaps your grandmothers email address?..

justin whitaker
April 4th, 2007, 04:50 PM
Yeah, I'm scared someone could steal my personal files: photos of family and friends, couple emails, music, books. Really worth breaking in to my house to do so :)

I am more scared of hackers stealing files from ill managed servers, governments snooping on their people for all kinds of supposedly legitimate reasons, companies stealing your data, using it or marketing it.

Are your really files worth stealing?

Governments are already snooping, companies are already using your data without your consent, and marketers already know everything about you.

Welcome to the brave new world.

The only way to be sure that noone can see what you are doing, or seeing your files, is to never share any files at all, and never go online. Try googling yourself sometime, to see your vapor trail. It is enlightening.

*shrugs*

Personally, I find the whole FirefoxOS idea intriguing. I want to be able to access all my stuff, where ever I am....that's why I use Google Notebook, Reader, Docs, Calendar, del.ici.ous, etc.

My thought is: I have nothing to hide, and my life, like the OS I use, is open source. I've been rebranding under my own name, not a call sign, for specifically that purpose. I really don't care if someone sees what I am doing, because at least I am the one controlling what is put up there.

PartisanEntity
April 4th, 2007, 05:14 PM
Governments are already snooping, companies are already using your data without your consent, and marketers already know everything about you.

Welcome to the brave new world.

The only way to be sure that noone can see what you are doing, or seeing your files, is to never share any files at all, and never go online. Try googling yourself sometime, to see your vapor trail. It is enlightening.

*shrugs*

Personally, I find the whole FirefoxOS idea intriguing. I want to be able to access all my stuff, where ever I am....that's why I use Google Notebook, Reader, Docs, Calendar, del.ici.ous, etc.

My thought is: I have nothing to hide, and my life, like the OS I use, is open source. I've been rebranding under my own name, not a call sign, for specifically that purpose. I really don't care if someone sees what I am doing, because at least I am the one controlling what is put up there.

Yes and my point is to be careful about what you reveal. How much the online world knows about you depends on your behaviour and your personal data policies. A world in which everyone operates online only is a world with very little privacy.

I have nothing to hide either, but I cherish my privacy, even concerning trivial things, above all else.

Mateo
April 4th, 2007, 05:25 PM
yeah, i agree with a lot of people here. i think it will be nice for libraries and such, hopefully it will bring down the cost of computers (thus allowing them to be spread into poor areas). but for me personally, i will also own a full blown computer.

EdThaSlayer
April 4th, 2007, 05:37 PM
I would not like to have a OS on some server on the other side of the world. The thing is that your data is in their hands, and who knows what *secrets* your data might have? Probably a lot of stuff you wouldn't want some employee of some *legitimate* company with all of these *promises* to look at. Even if the rest of the world follows this path, I wouldn't, even if it isn't the "cool" thing to do.

Dragonbite
April 4th, 2007, 05:39 PM
For backing up it would not have to be from one big-company (Yahoo!) to another (Google), you could have your own website & domain and use that for backing up.

Gives you a little more control while it is physically being hosted on somebody else's box.

Your access and security would be more up to you to manage using whatever tools you select (because if the world does move this way I am confident that applications will arise (proprietary and open source) to handle this).

aysiu
April 4th, 2007, 05:52 PM
It's sad to say, but most people don't care as much about security and privacy as the people posting in this thread do.

And if the vast majority of people are willing to put all their personal data on servers around the world, then that is the direction we as society (maybe not the individuals on this forum) very well might be heading.

Look at the situation now. Most people have one lousy password (a dictionary word) they use for all sites and basically anything that requires authentication. People do online banking, online shopping, online journaling/blogging/diarying, online photo storage and sharing (family/friends), online document sharing (Google Docs)...

We're kind of almost already there, if you think about it!

Even if we move in that direction, the power users who do care about security and privacy will find ways to manage things and have more control. Perhaps people like the ones posting in this thread will create their own communal and secure servers or host their own servers.

I mean, right now it's only the types of people posting in this thread who worry about cookie management. Most people don't even know what cookies are and either freak out and think cookies are all malware or just think all cookies are great--don't want to stop anything that could impede convenience...

Vinze
April 4th, 2007, 06:13 PM
I think in combination with the open source eyeOS (http://eyeos.org/) it could be really cool and even secure if you host it on your own or a trusted server with good encryption.

Luggy
April 4th, 2007, 06:18 PM
I agree that the idea sounds very nice. My work computer and my desktop at home are different and I could spend the time to syncronize them together so all my data is easily available, but it would be much nicer to use google's web apps and save myself the time.

The problem with google's apps is that google has all my data, and I am not too keen on that. What would be better is if someone made open source web apps which you could host on any server. It could have the same functionality as the google apps, but all the data could be sitting in my closet at home all nice and safe and mine.

NoTiG
April 4th, 2007, 06:18 PM
well games for one.. thats something that is very computer intensive and therefor must be run on clients machines (high end, newer games at least) . thats one reason why it will never completely happen.

and of course security. even if you trust someone like google... what are they going to do when the government starts supoening them to open up information?

Vinze
April 4th, 2007, 06:57 PM
I agree that the idea sounds very nice. My work computer and my desktop at home are different and I could spend the time to syncronize them together so all my data is easily available, but it would be much nicer to use google's web apps and save myself the time.

The problem with google's apps is that google has all my data, and I am not too keen on that. What would be better is if someone made open source web apps which you could host on any server. It could have the same functionality as the google apps, but all the data could be sitting in my closet at home all nice and safe and mine.
:

I think in combination with the open source eyeOS (http://eyeos.org/) it could be really cool and even secure if you host it on your own or a trusted server with good encryption.

aysiu
April 4th, 2007, 06:59 PM
well games for one.. thats something that is very computer intensive and therefor must be run on clients machines (high end, newer games at least) . thats one reason why it will never completely happen. Well what ever completely happens? Cars haven't completely replaced bicycles, but if you look out at the streets of many major cities (or even rural areas), guess what the primary mode of transportation is.

For a move to be a significant social phenomena, you have to get only most people making the move, not all. Most people do not use high-end newer computer games. If they game at all, they console game. (http://www.psychocats.net/essays/gamingperspective) Not everyone blogs, for example, but blogging is a huge phenomenon.

and of course security. even if you trust someone like google... what are they going to do when the government starts supoening them to open up information? Well, as a matter of fact, this happened last year, and all the other major search engines gave up the information right away. Google was the only company that resisted (http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/01/19/AR2006011903331.html?nav=rss_technology/techpolicy).

PatrickMay16
April 4th, 2007, 07:12 PM
What if I want a computer but don't need or want an internet connection?
What if for some reason my connection cuts out?
What if I can't even afford a high speed internet connection?

I've heard of this kind of idea before, and each time I hear of it I think "what a load of crap".

Somenoob
April 4th, 2007, 07:13 PM
Sounds like turning all machines to a thin client, bad idea.

Vinze
April 4th, 2007, 07:16 PM
What if I want a computer but don't need or want an internet connection?

Then you buy a normal (more expensive) computer. If you want to use this you'll need an internet connection ;)

What if for some reason my connection cuts out?

Then you have a problem. Then again, what if you have a hard drive failure?

What if I can't even afford a high speed internet connection?

Then you'd need to be able to afford a normal computer, though the price you save with a browser-only computer probably outweighs the cost of an internet connection (not sure about that though, but mostly you'll take both anyway).

I've heard of this kind of idea before, and each time I hear of it I think "what a load of crap".

Then obviously you'll go on buying normal computers.

aysiu
April 4th, 2007, 07:19 PM
I think people are still missing out on the fact that in order for adoption of an application or technological way of life to happen on a mass scale there does not need to be consensus among all 6 billion people on earth or the approval of Ubuntu Forum members.

Life goes on without us sometimes.