PDA

View Full Version : How come Windows does not support the WPA2 wireless security protocol?

user1397
April 4th, 2007, 05:47 AM
On any windows computer with wireless capabilities, if you go to the wireless icon, click on advanced settings, and then add a new network, you'll see your choices of security protocols. You will also see that there's only WPA and WEP. Doesn't microsoft know that WPA2 is the new standard, and that it is more secure than regular WPA?

My router supports WEP 964-bit and 128-bit), WPA Personal, WPA Enterprise, WPA2 Personal, WPA2 Enterprise, and RADIUS.

Windows supports WEP, WPA, and something they call WPA Pre Shared Key, or WPA-PSK.

My brother's macbook has the choice of WPA2 Personal, why hasn't its biggest competitor even thought about it yet?

wieman01
April 4th, 2007, 07:46 AM
On any windows computer with wireless capabilities, if you go to the wireless icon, click on advanced settings, and then add a new network, you'll see your choices of security protocols. You will also see that there's only WPA and WEP. Doesn't microsoft know that WPA2 is the new standard, and that it is more secure than regular WPA?

My router supports WEP 964-bit and 128-bit), WPA Personal, WPA Enterprise, WPA2 Personal, WPA2 Enterprise, and RADIUS.

Windows supports WEP, WPA, and something they call WPA Pre Shared Key, or WPA-PSK.

My brother's macbook has the choice of WPA2 Personal, why hasn't its biggest competitor even thought about it yet?
It does, however, it requires a patch for WPA2. You find useful information here (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/893357).

WPA(2)-PSK stands for WPA(2) Pre-Shared Key... that is the same as WPA(2) Personal.

user1397
April 4th, 2007, 08:03 AM
It does, however, it requires a patch for WPA2. You find useful information here (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/893357).

WPA(2)-PSK stands for WPA(2) Pre-Shared Key... that is the same as WPA(2) Personal.yes, I just found it and was about to edit my original post, but you beat me to it. thanks though.