PDA

View Full Version : 11 Things You Haven't Seen Yet in Ubuntu Feisty Fawn

karellen
April 4th, 2007, 04:51 AM
http://www.leetcode.net/2007/04/11-things-you-havent-seen-yet-in-ubuntu-feisty-fawn

I found it quite nice :)

ComplexNumber
April 4th, 2007, 04:54 AM
thanks for posting. some of those i hadn't seen yet.

karellen
April 4th, 2007, 04:59 AM
:) I'm very anxious to see the final release :D

TravisNewman
April 4th, 2007, 05:07 AM
I had missed a couple of those... I find it almost deplorable that every review I read of Feisty beta spent more time on Sudoku than they did on the network manager options.

I've bookmarked that site... very very good info there, I could see that turning into something big.

Dual Cortex
April 4th, 2007, 05:27 AM
I had missed a couple of those... I find it almost deplorable that every review I read of Feisty beta spent more time on Sudoku than they did on the network manager options.

:lolflag:

macogw
April 4th, 2007, 05:32 AM
I didn't see the colors tab or HPLIP. HPLIP doesn't work for my HP printer though, so I guess that's fine (why are none of the .ppd options for inkjets?). I would really really like to extend the functionality of that colors tab. Actually I'd like to redo that whole applet to make themes a LOT more customizable.

ComplexNumber
April 4th, 2007, 01:29 PM
as gnome 2.18 will be included with feisty, i thought that this (http://www.linux.com/article.pl?sid=07/04/02/1919225) article detailing some of the incremental changes in 2.18 would be apt here.

ssam
April 4th, 2007, 01:33 PM
one that was missed out:
music stores in rhythmbox, currently magnatune and jamendo
(you have to enable them in the plug in settings)

christhemonkey
April 4th, 2007, 01:35 PM
http://www.leetcode.net/2007/04/11-t...tu-feisty-fawn
That page gives me a 404...

ComplexNumber
April 4th, 2007, 01:38 PM
http://www.leetcode.net/2007/04/11-t...tu-feisty-fawn
That page gives me a 404...
give a few hours or so, then try again. its only just recovering from being on the front page at digg, so the servers have probably been taking a hammering :mrgreen:.

christhemonkey
April 4th, 2007, 01:45 PM
Haha got it now.
Just had to keep trying.

EdThaSlayer
April 4th, 2007, 02:20 PM
Feisty Fawn is starting to look pretty awesome. I can't wait till it gets released. :)

nuclear_eclipse
April 4th, 2007, 03:13 PM
give a few hours or so, then try again. its only just recovering from being on the front page at digg, so the servers have probably been taking a hammering :mrgreen:.

Yeah, my basic Dreamhost account on shared hosting doesn't quite provide the power necessary for a full Digg/Slashdot effect. I just wish I would have known about the onslaught sooner, I would have taken the time to make a static version of the page so my server could better handle it, but since I'm out for classes for the day, I don't have the opportunity now. I guess I'll just have to ride it out, and maybe I'll find a way to better optimize my site for the future. This is what your first frontpage Digg article will teach you. :-P

In other news though, I'm glad the article is reaching such popularity. Every Feisty review has simply rehashed the same things from the Ubuntu press release, and I wanted to take the opportunity to reach out to the Ubuntu to community and show them just how much more there is that's new in Feisty. I didn't even get the chance to cover anything beyond the Admin/Preferences applets in this article, and there's still much more to find.

I'll probably write a follow-up article soon: one that focuses on the applications enhancements that have been left out of the news. And I probably won't stick to just the core app set either. Wine has gotten a great boost of usability with the addition of more menu launchers, and there are other "normal" apps that will see a good jump in features too.

Cheers

Kobalt
April 4th, 2007, 04:20 PM
Now that HPLIP thing is finally working for my PSC1510, yeah !

karellen
April 4th, 2007, 04:38 PM
Yeah, my basic Dreamhost account on shared hosting doesn't quite provide the power necessary for a full Digg/Slashdot effect. I just wish I would have known about the onslaught sooner, I would have taken the time to make a static version of the page so my server could better handle it, but since I'm out for classes for the day, I don't have the opportunity now. I guess I'll just have to ride it out, and maybe I'll find a way to better optimize my site for the future. This is what your first frontpage Digg article will teach you. :-P

In other news though, I'm glad the article is reaching such popularity. Every Feisty review has simply rehashed the same things from the Ubuntu press release, and I wanted to take the opportunity to reach out to the Ubuntu to community and show them just how much more there is that's new in Feisty. I didn't even get the chance to cover anything beyond the Admin/Preferences applets in this article, and there's still much more to find.

I'll probably write a follow-up article soon: one that focuses on the applications enhancements that have been left out of the news. And I probably won't stick to just the core app set either. Wine has gotten a great boost of usability with the addition of more menu launchers, and there are other "normal" apps that will see a good jump in features too.

Cheers

anyway, you've done a nice job man :)

macogw
April 4th, 2007, 08:28 PM
Now that HPLIP thing is finally working for my PSC1510, yeah !
I have a PSC1610. What .ppd file did you pick? It gave me all laserjet options even though it's an inkjet. I think there was a "mopier" option too.