PDA

View Full Version : UK hacker loses extradition fight

mips
April 3rd, 2007, 08:02 PM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/6521255.stm

UK hacker loses extradition fight
A British man has lost his High Court fight against extradition to the US for allegedly carrying out the "biggest military computer hack of all time".
Glasgow-born Gary McKinnon, of north London, is accused of gaining access to 97 US military and Nasa computers.
Home Secretary John Reid granted the US request to extradite him for trial.
At the High Court in London, his lawyers argued the 41-year-old had been subjected to "improper threats" and the move would breach his human rights.
His lawyers had argued that, if extradited, he would face an unknown length of time in pre-trial detention, with no likelihood of bail.
He would also face a long prison sentence - "in the region of 45 years" - and may not be allowed to serve part of the sentence at home in the UK, his lawyers had said.
But, on Tuesday, Lord Justice Maurice Kay and Mr Justice Goldring dismissed his legal challenge, saying they could not find any grounds for appeal.

We will certainly be applying for this court to certify a point of law of public importance and to grant leave
Ben Cooper
Representing Gary McKinnon

Ben Cooper, for Mr McKinnon, said his client would now seek to make an appeal against his extradition at the House of Lords.
"We will certainly be applying for this court to certify a point of law of public importance and to grant leave," he said.
Speaking later, solicitor Jeffrey Anderson said alleged threats by US authorities, including one from New Jersey prosecutors that Mr McKinnon "would fry", would be among issues raised.
That had been a "chilling and intimidating" reference to capital punishment by the electric chair, he added.
It now looked as though the US would try to prosecute Mr McKinnon as a cyber-terrorist, Mr Anderson said.
"This could lead to him spending the rest of his life in prison in the US, with repatriation to serve his sentence in his home country denied as punishment for contesting his extradition."
Mr McKinnon has never denied that he accessed the computer networks of a wide number of US military institutions between February 2001 and March 2002.
Mr McKinnon, arrested in November 2002, has always maintained that he was motivated by curiosity and that he only managed to get into the networks because of lax security.

aktiwers
April 3rd, 2007, 08:16 PM
Insane..

fatphilthethird
April 4th, 2007, 11:09 AM
Poor, poor guy. US government seems to be going after him in the worst way soley because he made them look like a bunch of muppets.

He was just some nut after evidence of UFOs.

Titus A Duxass
April 4th, 2007, 11:39 AM
Serves him right!
If you can't do the time don't do the crime!

teaker1s
April 4th, 2007, 12:08 PM
possibly he found nothing, possibly he did, if I was to bother with this kind of thing it wouldn't be on my ip address- and if I felt that what was hidden was of benefit to mankind or morally wrong(something like chemical testing on public without their knowing)
I'd release the evidence.

Still if you go hacking then it comes with the hobby that your likely to get arrested

fatphilthethird
April 4th, 2007, 12:09 PM
I guess my problem with it is the 45 years they're bandying about - hardly a proportionate response.

Fat

teaker1s
April 4th, 2007, 12:14 PM
UK is America's puppy and Blair is spineless, the 45 years is
1) The Americans hate looking stupid
2)By the time he gets parole- they hope he'll either be too scared to do it again or his skills will be out of date

fuscia
April 4th, 2007, 12:14 PM
Mr McKinnon, arrested in November 2002, has always maintained that he was motivated by curiosity and that he only managed to get into the networks because of lax security.

was he hoping for reward? if he got caught, it would appear his own security was lax.

teaker1s
April 4th, 2007, 12:20 PM
:lolflag:

clever and stupid Mr McKinnon

argie
April 4th, 2007, 01:14 PM
I've never understood why one would allow a computer with confidential stuff to be connected to from the internet. That sounds pretty nuts.

ice60
April 4th, 2007, 01:23 PM
he says alot about what happened in the bbc click interview with him.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/media/avdb/news_web/video/9012da680040fe8/bb/09012da6800412af_16x9_bb.ram

aktiwers
April 4th, 2007, 02:41 PM
he says alot about what happened in the bbc click interview with him.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/media/avdb/news_web/video/9012da680040fe8/bb/09012da6800412af_16x9_bb.ram

Nice clip.. thanks!

aktiwers
April 4th, 2007, 02:49 PM
http://www.freegary.org.uk/
Worth a look as well..

EdThaSlayer
April 4th, 2007, 05:26 PM
That Mr. McKinnon guy might as well have murdered someone. He would have received the same or similar punishment.

spinflick
April 4th, 2007, 07:27 PM
The extradition agreement only works one way and always in America's favour, yet another example of this poxy government.

Big Dave
April 4th, 2007, 07:52 PM
While 45 years' incarceration does sound a little too severe for the crime, it doesn't negate the fact that the guy was a complete pillock for messing about with the American government's computers.

As has already been stated, if he can't do the time, he shouldn't have committed the crime.

mips
April 4th, 2007, 08:51 PM
That Mr. McKinnon guy might as well have murdered someone. He would have received the same or similar punishment.

I actually believe it would be less.

Over here we have a joke that should the TV license inspector ever come to your house you should kill him/her as the sentence would be less than not paying your tv license. The sad thing is that there is a lot of truth in that joke.

Kizilbas
April 13th, 2007, 07:55 AM
possibly he found nothing, possibly he did, if I was to bother with this kind of thing it wouldn't be on my ip address- and if I felt that what was hidden was of benefit to mankind or morally wrong(something like chemical testing on public without their knowing)
I'd release the evidence.

Still if you go hacking then it comes with the hobby that your likely to get arrested

What ever you do with your IP, there's possibly 100% chance you'll still get caught.

We are not in the days of Kevin David Mitnick where he had patched his system & the police wasn't able to track him because of his simultaneous IP hopping from one location to another.

It takes the police 5 seconds to track you down,

I think Mckinnon did such thing to become notorious but he's going jail LOL
Its a big shame, there are a lot of other programmers out there who are much elite than him.
I know 15 year old programmers who can program almost anything.

I think Mckinnon is insane and stupid.