PDA

View Full Version : SAM 2007 vs. Xubuntu 7.04

elijahclarity
April 3rd, 2007, 05:12 PM
I wanted to know:

Which is better? SAM 2007 or Xubuntu 7.04?

Which boots and performs faster? Has better hardware detection? Any other advantages?

All feedback welcome.

Thanks!

Note: I'm askin this coz I'm on a slow connection so I need to ask a friend to download a distro for me (ONLY ONE :( ) and I've to choose between Xubuntu & SAM linux. And I can't afford to buy a CD online. My system is Intel celeron 2.40 GHz with 256 MB RAM.

bigee1212
April 3rd, 2007, 07:36 PM
the performance between the two is relatively similar.

They both have excellent hardware detection. Sam is based on pclinuxos, the 2007 version is great and works awesome. The xubuntu also has good hardware detection.

Sam uses .RPM which I hate personally, and Xubuntu uses .DEB. Also, Sam's desktop is better becuase on xubuntu, they tried to make i look like gnome (but it actually looks terrible IMHO)

I would suggest SAM if you aren't going to be getting any programs outside the repositories.

igknighted
April 4th, 2007, 01:01 AM
SAM FTW!!! I have never been a big PCLOS or Xfce fan, but SAM is really really good. The default graphics are really nice, there is a great control center that Xubuntu doesn't have, and both use apt/synaptic for package management. Xubuntu has more packages, but SAM hasn't not had anything I've wanted yet that Ubuntu did, so I think the difference is with real odd stuff. Also, SAM comes with codecs and flash and all that stuff installed already, so if you plan on installing them it saves you the work.