PDA

View Full Version : Insane Windows 386 ad!!!

finferflu
April 3rd, 2007, 03:34 PM
Please, take a look at this, and draw your own conclusions, I was so embarrassed I felt like stopping it. After the 7th minute is really really insane.

Sorry if the link it's in Italian, but that's where I found it.

http://pollycoke.wordpress.com/2007/03/31/guardatelo-prima-che-sia-troppo-tardi-d/

I can't believe things like that actually came into being...

forrestcupp
April 3rd, 2007, 08:13 PM
I only watched about 3 minutes. Why did you entice me to waste my time?

Xzallion
April 3rd, 2007, 08:54 PM
That was just boring and a waste of time. I made it about 5 minutes in and then skipped forward a bit. :(

DoctorMO
April 3rd, 2007, 09:18 PM
It was painful!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm not normally an explosives punctuation kind of guy but I now need heart bypass surgery.

I mean I wouldn't mind but neither OS/2 or Windows took off on the 386; and I was only getting access to computers in the 486 erra when I was 8 so I only ever knew how terrible win 3.11 was. it seems like excel and word havn't changed a bit and the desktop refresh is just the same as I remember it.

What a terrible advert, the singing was the worst 2 minutes of my life.

Teg_Navanis
April 3rd, 2007, 09:46 PM
The eerie part is between 7:00 and 9:30, but I never had a look at the whole thing.

Zuuswa
April 3rd, 2007, 10:04 PM
Wow, made me want to gouge my eyes out with a rusty fork . . . so completely un-interesting and boring, and singing about the productivity of Windows 386 . . . finferflu, I would really appreciate it if you could give me those 7-odd minutes of my life back

Brunellus
April 3rd, 2007, 10:18 PM
Wow, made me want to gouge my eyes out with a rusty fork . . . so completely un-interesting and boring, and singing about the productivity of Windows 386 . . . finferflu, I would really appreciate it if you could give me those 7-odd minutes of my life back
that was so painful. ow.

it wouldn't have been so bad if she hadn't looked JUST LIKE MY BOSS.

ubuntu27
April 3rd, 2007, 10:19 PM
OMG!! It gave me headache watchign this...:frown:
I have... to... vo..mit....:-|

maniacmusician
April 3rd, 2007, 11:46 PM
well now I just have to watch it and see what the fuss is all about....

maniacmusician
April 3rd, 2007, 11:57 PM
well now I just have to watch it and see what the fuss is all about....
oh....god....I really wish I hadn't.....

finferflu
April 4th, 2007, 12:02 AM
LOL! It had on me more or less the same effects described by all of you. The point is: how could it sell with such a poor, moronic, bad advert!?!? I think it's a good thing to show to the Windows fanatics :P So pathetic...

Sunflower1970
April 4th, 2007, 12:08 AM
Haven't been feeling well all day. Now I have to go vomit after that 12 minutes.

Gotta love the ending tagline though. "MIcrosoft Windows/386 The Sould of a New Machines"

Watching her use the word processor though made me remember that we had Windows 386 at one time while I was in high school. That word processor sucked big time. I always had trouble with getting my margins right, and spacing correct. The only good thing I can remember about that computer is Mahjongg. We had a copy of the game on a disk.

Sunflower1970
April 4th, 2007, 12:14 AM
LOL! It had on me more or less the same effects described by all of you. The point is: how could it sell with such a poor, moronic, bad advert!?!? I think it's a good thing to show to the Windows fanatics :P So pathetic...

This looks more like something used in office training seminars.

But, if you think back to the late 80s, that would have been considered high tech--the creme of the crop. A must-have item for businesses. It doesn't look like it was being sold to home computer users (not too many of them around back then) but for businesses. A word processor, spreadsheet, telenet connection were huge pluses in a business world.

Gotta love old commercials :)

finferflu
April 4th, 2007, 12:26 AM
How in the world would business people would feel attracted by such a thing?

insane_alien
April 4th, 2007, 12:27 AM
i just finished watching all of it. had to be done in 5 second chunks. my brain started melting after that.

dbbolton
April 4th, 2007, 12:31 AM
that song brought back memories of mission impossible for n64.

bull8042
April 4th, 2007, 12:36 AM
Very nice.... Now I am sitting in my own pee with excessive drool dripping off my chin! THANKS A LOT FOR THE AUDIO/VISUAL LOBOTOMY!!!
Anyone have anything for a headache?

user1397
April 4th, 2007, 12:50 AM
are you ***ing kidding me microsoft!

I actually watched the whole thing...the rapping/singing was definitely the weirdest part

FoolsGold
April 4th, 2007, 01:02 AM
I'm afriad to watch. :)

Can someone summarise the ad in 5 words or less?

maniacmusician
April 4th, 2007, 01:07 AM
terrifying, laughable, boring, headaches, and headaches.

finferflu
April 4th, 2007, 01:09 AM
I'm afriad to watch. :)

Can someone summarise the ad in 5 words or less?
No, it's a must see, and besides, you have to undergo the same suffering we all have been through! :D
The effect is hilarious on people :D

EDIT: It's actually too bad you can't read the Italian comments, they're so funny, even though they're not much different from those here. One of the reasons why I posted this here was because I wanted to crack myself up reading your comments :D

stalker145
April 4th, 2007, 02:55 AM
Please, take a look at this, and draw your own conclusions, I was so embarrassed I felt like stopping it. After the 7th minute is really really insane.

Sorry if the link it's in Italian, but that's where I found it.

http://pollycoke.wordpress.com/2007/03/31/guardatelo-prima-che-sia-troppo-tardi-d/

I can't believe things like that actually came into being...

Oh, you heartless, evil individual I must now find an old floppy disk and slash my wrists with it. I simply can not live knowing that I allowed myself to watch such a horrible example of advertising...

Philk
April 4th, 2007, 03:26 AM
Maybe I'm just an old fogey, but the ad did remind me of how much an improvement Windows was over DOS! I was one of those working in an agency that insisted on MS. I had too many different things to do to use DOS. Even at its worst, Windows was at least a chance to have several things "going" at once [well, at least up to be switched between].

I am also one of those who worked from home on many of my things in those days. I remember when a 36kb modem connection seemed real uptown!

I've been using Ubuntu for over a year now, and hardly ever take advantage of the dual boot that I still haven't given up - partially because my wife still uses Windows on her networked machine.

My tolerance level is obviously higher than most of you. I will admit I was doing things on my other computer at the same time, but I did keep one eye (and about 1/20th of my alertness) on the ad. I don't think I ever saw that at the time, but then I don't watch much television and avoided sales pitches like the plague!

FuturePilot
April 4th, 2007, 03:54 AM
oh....god....I really wish I hadn't.....

Haha:lolflag: me too. I want those 10 minuets of my life back!

Stew2
April 4th, 2007, 04:07 AM
Wow! Mission Impossible was obviously very popular when that ad was made. Just loved those "big as your head" glasses that were so popular then... wonder if she had storm windows for those things... get it... "storm windows" yuk yuk! Hard to believe I'm not even drinking... :lolflag: , kind of wish I was now though... :D

Regards,
Stew2

TravisNewman
April 4th, 2007, 04:23 AM
Finally watched this, and I chose not to read any comments until I did.

First I thought, this is terrible... but then she started rapping, and I swear I think I lost brain cells.

jariku
April 4th, 2007, 07:59 AM
I thought the whole thing was all kinds of awesome, but then again, I have a thing for trash culture.

I loved the floppy disks and the 120 minute cassette and everything that was way high tech! Too bad I never got to use that version of Windows, since my first PC was an IBM PS/1 286 with Windows 3.1. :(

use a name
April 4th, 2007, 08:50 AM
Eheh...

Anyone want my popcorn? :popcorn:

3rdalbum
April 4th, 2007, 09:02 AM
If it's Windows 386, does that make it better than the Xbox 360?

FoolsGold
April 4th, 2007, 09:23 AM
Who knew you could rap (badly) about Windows? :)

jjordan
April 4th, 2007, 12:18 PM
Come on, most of you are looking at a 1980's product through a 2007 perspective. I played with Windows 1.0 (nobody actually used it) and installed the 2.XX version on several 286 systems wishing I could afford a 386. It was light years ahead of the CP/M and Vector Graphic 4 that I had used at work a few years before or the TRS-80's (model 1) I repaired in my first paying job in the late 70's. Heck, Windows 386 could use "extended" and "expanded" memory (but only as swap space). Then I visited a friend with a NeXT pizza box ........................

-j

forrestcupp
April 4th, 2007, 02:29 PM
Come on, most of you are looking at a 1980's product through a 2007 perspective. -j

Yeah, it's pretty ridiculous how people are using this video to trash Windows. This was probably about 20 years ago. Linux wasn't even invented back then. The first Linux system was completed in 1992. Windows 386 was pretty high tech then. I was into Commodore 64 at that time.

The point isn't how bad Windows is. The point is how bad the promotional video is, and how much of a waste of my time it was to watch it.

Why couldn't they have made a commercial as awesome as the futuristic Macintosh commercial where someone ran in and threw something through the giant tv screen to break the mold?

Brunellus
April 4th, 2007, 02:48 PM
Yeah, it's pretty ridiculous how people are using this video to trash Windows. This was probably about 20 years ago. Linux wasn't even invented back then. The first Linux system was completed in 1992. Windows 386 was pretty high tech then. I was into Commodore 64 at that time.

The point isn't how bad Windows is. The point is how bad the promotional video is, and how much of a waste of my time it was to watch it.

Why couldn't they have made a commercial as awesome as the futuristic Macintosh commercial where someone ran in and threw something through the giant tv screen to break the mold?
they couldn't have done that because they wouldn't be talking to their target audience. The target audience was Pointy-haired bureaucrats, not the public at large.

matthekc
April 4th, 2007, 03:31 PM
what a terrible commercial is that windows 1 or 2? I stopped good creative commons music for that!!!

Sunflower1970
April 4th, 2007, 03:51 PM
How in the world would business people would feel attracted by such a thing?
Because this would have been very high-tech. As someone said above in this thread, we're in 2007 looking back at this, and yeah it seems crazy. But, if we had seen this during that time period (what year would have that been? 1987-88 or so?) we would have thought that would help increase our productivity in whatever business we were in.

PatrickMay16
April 4th, 2007, 04:07 PM
YES. Windows 386. Take that, T-BONE!!!!!!!!!!1111111111

EdThaSlayer
April 4th, 2007, 05:34 PM
Hahahahahaha!!!! That ad is so stupid it makes me laugh. Whats up with the crappy version of the James Bond theme??The song itself makes no real sense at all! What is this? Some commercial for baby diapers or something(the kiddy song goes well with babies :D ).Oh, and why would anyone watch 12 MINUTES of 1 commercial??

DarkN00b
April 4th, 2007, 07:04 PM
Me watch commercial. Had high IQ before. Now not so much...

**DROOL***

%hMa@?b<C
April 4th, 2007, 08:12 PM
But... we dont use OS/2

wa-wa-wa-wa-windows now im doin it real quick!

jariku
April 4th, 2007, 10:27 PM
Whats up with the crappy version of the James Bond theme??
I think the whole thing was a parody of Mission Impossible. Although I don't quite get the flashy rap clothes bit in the middle.

I wish I'd still have all my cool 80s/early 90s computer/video game gear I used to have. I miss my Salora Manager, my 286 PC and my 8-bit Nintendo.

Thiesen
April 5th, 2007, 12:44 AM
When that ad was made I probably was toying around with my Amiga 500 at that time... Oh well... I want my 80's back... "those where the days"...

weasel fierce
April 5th, 2007, 02:53 AM
well, the first Amiga was released in 85... I've often maintained that the PC prevailing over the Amiga set us back 5-6 years.

Brunellus
April 5th, 2007, 05:21 AM
well, the first Amiga was released in 85... I've often maintained that the PC prevailing over the Amiga set us back 5-6 years.
the Amiga was a closed architecture. It was expensive. It didn't run the apps that the main consumers of computers--businesses--wanted to run. (i.e., Lotus 1-2-3). It was more ready for the desktop, yes, but it was utterly defeated in the marketplace for reasons that had nothing to do with technical merit.

There's a lesson there.

pljwebb
April 5th, 2007, 05:47 AM
It’s almost 6am and I’ve got a raging tooth ache, I’m counting down the hours until the dentist opens. Watching this video has been such a relief, at last something more painful than chronic tooth pain! It was the rap song half way through that was the most therapeutic for me, I’m going to watch it again, the hours will just fly by.

rai4shu2
April 5th, 2007, 05:54 AM
This proves that Microsoft was a leader in one type of innovation: the power to make things suck that were otherwise cool.

-grubby
September 10th, 2007, 03:31 AM
painfull.....

ry4n
September 10th, 2007, 04:15 AM
make it stop daddy...................make it stop!!!!!!

pluviosity
September 10th, 2007, 04:25 AM
O...m...g...

lisati
September 10th, 2007, 04:31 AM
Oh, you heartless, evil individual I must now find an old floppy disk and slash my wrists with it. I simply can not live knowing that I allowed myself to watch such a horrible example of advertising...
I think I might have a couple of spare unused disks somewhere that I picked up about 5 years ago for a now retired machine....oh that's right, keeping them for the commodor 128 machines that are gathering dust in my spare room

kostkon
September 10th, 2007, 04:48 AM
Oh crap! A terrible, terrible ad. But it was kinda funny seeing her using this archaic PC!

kostkon
September 10th, 2007, 04:51 AM
make it stop daddy...................make it stop!!!!!!

LOL!! Good response!!

blithen
September 10th, 2007, 05:25 AM
Wow...I watched about...maybe.. 30 seconds. And figured installing windows would be a better use of my time...that was horrid even though it was 30 seconds.

multifaceted
September 10th, 2007, 06:41 AM
That was gross... I never want to see that again....

wersdaluv
September 10th, 2007, 11:54 AM
It just wasted my time.

ironfistchamp
September 10th, 2007, 02:22 PM
Wow that was totally awesome. Thank you for posting that. Hahaha "Windows, windows, windows 3-86"

Genius

hoagie
September 10th, 2007, 03:10 PM
I watched it in mute and except from being boring I don't understand the terrible,horrible ... Did I miss something?

Hallvor
September 10th, 2007, 05:12 PM
*puke*

init1
September 10th, 2007, 11:14 PM
*puke*
My thoughts exactly.

finferflu
September 11th, 2007, 02:30 PM
Wow, this ad has still so much impact :D
It can be a case study of how bad and low and ugly thing can be.

Of course it's something that is 20 or so years old, but I think a bad ad is always a bad ad. And this is very very very very very bad.

mikeypizano
September 11th, 2007, 05:13 PM
You should be banned for posting that thing haha!

Ozor Mox
September 11th, 2007, 06:04 PM

...that was horrendous

voided3
September 11th, 2007, 06:18 PM
I made it to about 8:30, which was right about where I felt like dying. The culmination of it being a windows infomercial/skit, the 80's, and that friggin singing was far more gruesome to watch than any war movie I have ever seen.

daverich
September 11th, 2007, 07:27 PM
oh come on,

that was pure cheese at it's best.

w-w-w-w-w-windows!

I'm Pasting it in!

Kind regards

Dave Rich